Any other cops from the US having trouble with the written license test?

Just now, The Snark said:

Been doing that. A couple dozen times. It just gets worse. Ambiguous multiple correct answers and asinine ideas of basic safety laws keep bogging me down. Can't get the CVC and 50+ years of safe driving to take a hike and learn to be stupid,.

I've noticed some of the questions are really out there. You can see their tests don't really have a bearing on what happens here daily on the roads. The tests in the US aren't that hard but you do have to study the book, because some things are forgotten and others you do every day you don't think of but just do. I see that some of the answers can be more than one, and even if you're right, you're wrong. Perhaps they should research what they do in other countries and then apply it here?

Just now, jvs said:

Next time just say you do not really understand the questions and smile a lot and ask for a bit of help.

(Wear a suit)

Zing. Good one. How does putting every questionable question up against a US vehicle code in my head and querying each and every weird question sound? Maybe pass me to avoid the frustration?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Perhaps they should research what they do in other countries and then apply it here?

That ain't going to happen. But you're right. The right way  and the Thai way.

What's really driving me bats is cop recertification where I had 250 VC questions fired at me. I did far better than I have here.

Just be glad there is an English version at all

By "English" I mean questions and answers that are grammatically incomprehensible, and legally wrong requiring one to simply memorize the answers. I had to take it 3 times

Last renewal I just paid an agent who takes the test  for you.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Snark said:

Zing. Good one. How does putting every questionable question up against a US vehicle code in my head and querying each and every weird question sound? Maybe pass me to avoid the frustration?

Too bad you did not try to exchange your US license,that way you do not have to take the written test.There are also agencies who will take some of your money and provide you with a DL.

Relax, take it easy!

Adjust to the culture.

While driving here you will be absolutely amazed and worried at the same time but this is how it works over here.Someone driving in against the traffic?Nobody panics,you just move over a bit so they can pass.

Sabai,sabai.

• Like 1

Last time I took the written test, there were many answers that the “correct“ answer was not. There are copies of the test floating around with the answer they will mark as correct indicated. Better to study these than the actual laws.

I almost failed because the same question was asked multiple times in my written test. I answered it correctly but that answer wasn't the one they had marked as the correct one.

I probably still have the samples somewhere. If you can't find them, PM me and I'll try and find them.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Snark said:

One that really stood out was a question where slowing down to allow another vehicle to pass (or merge) was wrong. They have never heard of courteous driving habits here?

Interestingly....to me at least....it is not a code, but a legal requirement in Germany to allow cars to merge......(I think).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

This is standard military-style "test-and-forget", where you memorize the field manual for the test, then immediately afterwards revert to reality.

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Next time just say you do not really understand the questions and smile a lot and ask for a bit of help.

(Wear a suit)

Test and forget. Easier said than done when you've been a cop and had the VC hammered into your genes.

I've got, or had, 4 licenses including haz mat cert, FD heavy equipment cert, DOT class 1 explosives training cert, Ambulance operation advanced training cert and class 1, 2 3, and 4 Calif DL, all expired.

@jvs I feel you're onto something here. A proposed plan of attack.

I'm drawing a line at the tie but dress shirt and slacks for a start.

-Every last nuance of Thai socially polite and civil 24 years here has taught me.

-Use up the full allotted 1 hour to take the test. First minutely examining every nuance and detail, remembering each odd or weird question's number. Then in the utmost of polite go through the list asking the proctor to explain and elucidate every last detail.

-When the inevitable supervisor gets called in consider giving her/him a wai.

-Follow my CHP mentor's procedure. Ultra hard nosed 35 year veteran stickler of details -> "In a 35 zone I'll let 37 off. 38 gets the ticket". Very very politely insist on an explanation of even a hint of ambiguity.

-Attempt to give the impression of possibly being the most dedicated and meticulous person to ever have taken the test.

(And come about the 55 minute mark hope they get fed up and let me slide through).

Thoughts?

Edited by The Snark

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

So why are you taking a test ?, what did I miss in your OP ?

Allow me to combine my midwest and packtrain ramrod past with down to earth Thai reality here.

This here saddle jockey done gots him a Thai wife with the bit in her teeth, pardner. Need I say more?

• Confused 4

19 minutes ago, The Snark said:

Test and forget. Easier said than done when you've been a cop and had the VC hammered into your genes.

I've got, or had, 4 licenses including haz mat cert, FD heavy equipment cert, DOT class 1 explosives training cert, Ambulance operation advanced training cert and class 1, 2 3, and 4 Calif DL, all expired.

@jvs I feel you're onto something here. A proposed plan of attack.

I'm drawing a line at the tie but dress shirt and slacks for a start.

-Every last nuance of Thai socially polite and civil 24 years here has taught me.

-Use up the full allotted 1 hour to take the test. First minutely examining every nuance and detail, remembering each odd or weird question's number. Then in the utmost of polite go through the list asking the proctor to explain and elucidate every last detail.

-When the inevitable supervisor gets called in consider giving her/him a wai.

-Follow my CHP mentor's procedure. Ultra hard nosed 35 year veteran stickler of details -> "In a 35 zone I'll let 37 off. 38 gets the ticket". Very very politely insist on an explanation of even a hint of ambiguity.

-Attempt to give the impression of possibly being the most dedicated and meticulous person to ever have taken the test.

(And come about the 55 minute mark hope they get fed up and let me slide through).

Thoughts?

You can also practice online,good luck,we both know you will get it in the end.

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So why are you taking a test ?, what did I miss in your OP ? 

Ask the copper.  He knows.

"I'm a flesh and blood man, not the upper case corporate entity.  My conveyance doesn't fall under your jurisdiction."

• Love It 1

13 minutes ago, The Snark said:

Allow me to combine my midwest and packtrain ramrod past with down to earth Thai reality here.

This here saddle jockey done gots him a Thai wife with the bit in her teeth, pardner. Need I say more?

I wish you would say more, is it his wife taking the test or him ??

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Just be glad there is an English version at all

By "English" I mean questions and answers that are grammatically incomprehensible, and legally wrong requiring one to simply memorize the answers. I had to take it 3 times

Last renewal I just paid an agent who takes the test  for you.

Did your agent take your medical and do the reaction tests for you, and use your ID ???

How can an agent take Your Test ? is his photo on your License, why would you need to answer questions on a renewal ? sounds like pure BS to me.

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Did your agent take your medical

No that is done sat outside a doctors surgery who does not examine you, as normal

and do the reaction tests for you,

No.I don’t even remember having to do that again. 

How can an agent take Your Test ?
He did it online whilst I sat at arms length from him at his desk. I got 100 percent correct

is his photo on your License,

No, photo is taken at the Transport office.  

why would you need to answer questions on a renewal ? sounds like pure BS to me.

I don’t know aske the Transport office.  Maybe I got ripped off by the agent.  All I do know is I got both 5 years licenses renewed having spent all of 20 minutes at the office. I had better things to do with my time that week. 

Edited by Captain Monday

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

What written test? I just showed my home license.

That's to get your first 2 year. yideo and reaction tests are required to re-new up to a 5 year one.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

"I'm a flesh and blood man, not the upper case corporate entity.  My conveyance doesn't fall under your jurisdiction."

I never have a facepalm emote when I really need it.

44 minutes ago, jvs said:

You can also practice online,good luck,we both know you will get it in the end.

Well according the my browser history I've studied 22 so far.

Practicing.

The question on the test. "You see a bus on the side signalling to move into your traffic lane, what should you do?

Correct answer, "Slow down and allow the bus in."

So I call the proctor over to explain this to me. First, type of vehicle does not count with the known physics on this planet. Bike, moped, car, bus, 18 wheeler, D11 Cat crawler, physics are all the same, impact is impact, accident is accident. You can not have a different set of laws for each different vehicle.

Once the proctor understands this little slice of logic you continue.

So going by the bus signaling logic, signaling gives you the right of way to enter another lane. And so, you can move into the high speed traffic lane while going 7 kph and all 28 vehicles going 80+ kph in that lane must slow down and allow you to merge, right?

I try another one. "Which of the four does not cause accidents?" Correct answer: "Driving faster than the speed limit."

Call the proctor over again and ask him or her, If your car is parked. Not moving. Not in a traffic lane. Say it is in your driveway, you can't cause an accident, right? Hopefully this gets understood and you go on, "Your vehicle in motion is what can cause an accident, right?" Again this might get grasped so you make the logical leap: "Then it stands to reason that the faster you drive, the more likely you are going to cause an accident up to the speed where it becomes very difficult to control your vehicle." Then you get to the point, "Speed is obviously the cause of ALL accidents. Kow jai?"

Edited by The Snark

1 minute ago, The Snark said:

I never have a facepalm emote when I really need it.

Well according the my browser history I've studied 22 so far.

Practicing.

The question on the test. "You see a buss on the side signalling to move into your traffic lane, what should you do?

Correct answer, "Slow down and allow the bus in."

So I call the proctor over to explain this to me. First, rtpe of vehicle does not count with the known physics on this planet. Bike, moped, car, bus, 18 wheeler, D11 Cat crawler, physics are all the same, impact is impact, accident is accident. You can not have a different set of laws for each different vehicle.

Once the proctor understands this little slice of logic you continue.

So going by the bus signaling logic, signaling gives you the right of way to enter another lane. And so, you can move into the high speed traffic lane while going 7 kph and all 28 vehicles going 80+ kph in that lane must slow down and allow you to merge, right?

I try another one. "Which of the four does not cause accidents?" Correct answer: "Driving faster than the speed limit."

Call the proctor over again and ask him or her, If your car is parked. Not moving. Not in a traffic lane. Say it is in your driveway, you can't cause an accident, right? Hopefully this gets understood and you go on, "Your vehicle in motion is what can cause an accident, right?" Again this might get grasped so you make the logical leap: "Then it stands to reason that the faster you drive, the more likely you are going to cause an accident up to the speed where it becomes very difficult to control your vehicle." Then you got to the point, "Speed is obviously the cause of ALL accidents. Kow jai?"

Being right does not mean anything,different countries different rule.

Having a license here does not mean you can drive ,you just past the very basics but it makes you legal on the road.

The thing that still gets me every time is people pulling out of a drive way or parking lot in front of you and then going really slow in the hope no one will hit them from behind!

TIT.

What is this logic thing you speak of, B'wana?

7 minutes ago, The Snark said:

rtpe of vehicle does not count with the known physics on this planet.

That's crazy talk. If a bus pulls out, it's biggerer than me, so it has right of way.  If I hit it, my car is totaled.  If a scooter pulls out, I'm biggerer, it gets knocked into the ditch and I can continue on my journey.

8 minutes ago, The Snark said:

"Speed is obviously the cause of ALL accidents. Kow jai?"

More crazy talk.  Speed doesn't cause accidents.  Hitting stuff causes accidents.

Stop tinkin' too mutt!

Memorize the danged answers!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Buddy up to the test proctor. He/she is most likely aware that some of the questions in the English version test are worded confusingly. Circle them and try to get the proctor to give you the correct answers. 

• Thanks 1