Any other cops from the US having trouble with the written license test?

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Exactly there is NO written test when showing your home license, I don't understand the OP, also those who say they use an agent, how is that even possible or legal even, apart from hand holding, and then the OP goes on to say he doesn't need a license........

It is clearly not legal but it would be hard to prove. Agent visas are a different story, illegal and easy to prove.

• Agree 1

On 8/13/2024 at 12:03 PM, Captain Monday said:

Maybe I got ripped off by the agent.

I think you did, 200b (at a local hospital for me) for a medical and then the license price, So who did the reaction and eye tests ? I'm fully aware they take your photo. You did not need an Agent at all, only persons to blame are you and whoever suggested an Agent.

3 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

It is clearly not legal but it would be hard to prove. Agent visas are a different story, illegal and easy to prove.

I even new of a Falang Agent, who has just died , oh every body is so sad their 'friend' is dead, and how sudden it was, he had been sick for months, I know if any of his customers had died he would have not gone to their funeral, they are all delusional thinking they were his friends. I have had to keep my mouth zipped so not to offend his Thai wife an old friend of mine. Even had a donation box for his ceremony. 

35 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think you did, 200b (at a local hospital for me) for a medical and then the license price, So who did the reaction and eye tests ? I'm fully aware they take your photo. You did not need an Agent at all, only persons to blame are you and whoever suggested an Agent.

I got what I wanted. Why do I have to repeat myself?  Nobody suggested an agent it was my idea alone Reallly it was a lovely experience to be served in 20 minutes instead of waiting around for hours like when I did it by myself 5 years ago. 

Have a nice evening !

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Haha 1

What does being a cop have to do with anything.  Here is your problem the objective is to pass the test get the answer they want not what ypu think or how it should be. 

To pass get it out of your head you arent that important no one is messing with you. You think because you were a cop your answer is the right one look around figure out where you are you are a nobody don't control anything you dont hold the cards any longer they are holding your balls!

Their test question has very little to do with the proper way to drive. Ive got 35 years with the Transportation Dept so I know a thing or two about driving.

You should have gotten an Int permit show it to them and a written test would not have been required.:cheesy:

Edited by thailand49

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Exactly there is NO written test when showing your home license, I don't understand the OP, also those who say they use an agent, how is that even possible or legal even, apart from hand holding, and then the OP goes on to say he doesn't need a license........

Unless as in my case, I showed my home licence but as I already had an expired 5-year licence, I had to do a written and a driving test. 

12 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Unless as in my case, I showed my home licence but as I already had an expired 5-year licence, I had to do a written and a driving test. 

So you Thai license was finished, and your home licensee was still valid, why on earth did you show your expired Thai one, you could have just shown your home one and got a new 2yr Thai license, or am I missing something ?

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

So you Thai license was finished, and your home licensee was still valid, why on earth did you show your expired Thai one, you could have just shown your home one and got a new 2yr Thai license, or am I missing something ?

My initial plan was to transfer my home licence, but I was misinformed and was told it would be easier to renew my old license. By the time I realized the mistake, it was too late to change course.

I was also told that my old licence would be discovered once they had my full name, but I seriously doubt that as the primary key seems to be the passport number and I now had a new one.

Despite potentially wasting two days on tests, the experience was informative. I learned a lot and gained new insights, having previously assumed that my home road rules would be applicable here.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

My initial plan was to transfer my home licence, but I was misinformed and was told it would be easier to renew my old license. By the time I realized the mistake, it was too late to change course.

I was also told that my old licence would be discovered once they had my full name, but I seriously doubt that as the primary key seems to be the passport number and I now had a new one.

Despite potentially wasting two days on tests, the experience was informative. I learned a lot and gained new insights, having previously assumed that my home road rules would be applicable here.

If your old Thai license has expired then it no longer exists init. just out of interest how much did the agent rip you off ?

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If your old Thai license has expired then it no longer exists init. just out of interest how much did the agent rip you off ?

My new licence has my old licence number and shows date when it was originally issued.

What agent?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, LosLobo said:

My new licence has my old licence number and shows date when it was originally issued.

What agent?

Sorry I was thinking about another member who use an agent. I am surprised about the number being the same I must admit.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2024 at 9:50 AM, The Snark said:

One that really stood out was a question where slowing down to allow another vehicle to pass (or merge) was wrong. They have never heard of courteous driving habits here?

I don't drive in Thailand.. But slowing down to allow people to merge is what I do in the U.S. of A.   I see it as a way to prevent vehicles from crashing into each other and as a courtesy.  

But, I do watch you tube videos of people that try to close the gap to prevent a merge.