Buying Airline Ticket for Thai Lady

On 8/13/2024 at 7:26 PM, Moonlover said:

Edit: Unless you're travelling with her, don't pay with a bank card. The card holder must be one of the passengers and they may ask to see the card.

That is true on international flights but on domestic flights ? I doubt that.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That is true on international flights but on domestic flights ? I doubt that.

All the flights I've booked recently have been by my card, for others, both domestic and international in and out of Thailand, never been a problem for any of the travellers at check-in.  The last international flight was a "get out of jail" flight for a young lady denied entry at BKK, no problems with that one either.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

All the flights I've booked recently have been by my card, for others, both domestic and international in and out of Thailand, never been a problem for any of the travellers at check-in.  The last international flight was a "get out of jail" flight for a young lady denied entry at BKK, no problems with that one either.

Same here. Never been a problem using my card to pay for others to fly within or out of  Thailand - for the past 7 years (3 x international return & 6 x domestic return this year alone). Obviously a wind-up. 

Edited by Nemises

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Thais don't normally have a middle name as far as I know.

And thank goodness for that, when they have a 4 syllable first name and a 5 syllable last name.  You run out of room on most forms.

Assuming, of course, that's accurate.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2024 at 7:00 AM, Upnotover said:

It's easy, I do it all the time.  Copy the name (in English) from her ID or passport.  Miss or Mrs is irrelevant. And they will not care who paid, i.e. not ask to see the  paying bank card.

NOK Air will need to see the card you paid with.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

And thank goodness for that, when they have a 4 syllable first name and a 5 syllable last name.  You run out of room on most forms.

Assuming, of course, that's accurate.

I always wonder how old they are when they can spell their name. 

20 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Years ago when booking on airline's website there used to be a remark that the airline might want to see the actual card used for the booking and a warning that if passengers couldn't show the actual card they'll be refused boarding. That stopped long ago. However, about 2 years ago I used my card to pay for someone else's rebooking fee and at check in at the airport the airline's staff wanted to see the card. The passenger called me and I had to talk to the staff and eventually send a photo of my card in order for him to be able to fly... It was an international flight.

That only happened once out of all the times I've booked and paid with my card for other people - domestic as well as international.

On 8/16/2024 at 2:21 AM, LukKrueng said:

Years ago when booking on airline's website there used to be a remark that the airline might want to see the actual card used for the booking and a warning that if passengers couldn't show the actual card they'll be refused boarding. That stopped long ago.

Not stopped altogether, but only used where there's deemed to be an increased risk of fraud I understand.  This example is from Emirates' T&Cs.

Capture.JPG.88daee4bc9f010b776fe6cfa0582bbb9.JPG

Edited by treetops

On 8/13/2024 at 4:00 PM, Upnotover said:

It's easy, I do it all the time.  Copy the name (in English) from her ID or passport.  Miss or Mrs is irrelevant. And they will not care who paid, i.e. not ask to see the  paying bank card.

It is exactly as you told. I also do it frequently for my GF

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 2:26 PM, Moonlover said:

Her name is in English on her ID card. Just that.

Edit: Unless you're travelling with her, don't pay with a bank card. The card holder must be one of the passengers and they may ask to see the card.

I bought 5 domestic airline ticketsfor Thai ladies in the past, all with card. There was never an issue. 

9 hours ago, Cameroni said:

I bought 5 domestic airline ticketsfor Thai ladies in the past, all with card. There was never an issue. 

Then maybe domestic airlines are more lax, but strictly but strictly speaking that is the rule. I've had to show my payment card a few times in the past.