What's One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Moving to Thailand?

2 hours ago, PFMills said:

Yeah ...I heard that your experience hasn't been exactly wonderful, unlucky. I've been somewhat more fortunate and for 22 years, although she's pushing on in years now I never considered changing in the past or the present. Just wish she wasn't better at golf than me ... 

IIRC Peter Mills played in the Ryder Cup in 1957 and 1959.

You shouldn't worry too much about your wife beating you now, you're 93.

2 hours ago, CallumWK said:

If you didn't know that exchange rates change every day, you should have stayed in the UK

That one went over your head...did you hear it as it went by?

That tongue in cheek humour that avoided you...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That I'd be nothing but a "Temporary Visitor Visiting My Wife" during my annual extension stay in Thailand, as opposed to foreign gals married to Thai men who have a direct path to citizenship.  It's inhumanly unfair.
Had I know in advance, I would have probably never married in Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

The main thing to be aware if one want's to move full time to Thailand, is chose another country if you want to live full time with no tax hassles, immigration fuss and made up rules or global cheating all over against foreigners.

• Sad 1

Reading this, I am again astonished about the complete stupidity and ignorance of many responding here. When I went for the first time to Thailand, in 1993, to work in a factory close to Banglamung, I first informed myself. There was info enough.

Second: you really think, that for you, too ugly, too stupid, to find a decent woman in your own country, the ladies in Thailand will fall for YOU ? No, for your wallet, as.. many ladies, especially in areas like Pattaya, working in a beer bar, did not have the possibility to get a decent education. Many must do it with what nature give them, as is free: their body. Just like a sports masseur or physiotherapist, it is COMMERCIAL service. As many men like it to be called a combination of Adonis and Einstein + Arnold Schwarzenegger in his young age, the ladies tell you that, as part of their professional service. They need your tips, your gifts, and your support, for herself, often a child, and her family.

The ladies of the well educated classes... are out of reach for many farangs, as... "they are not lady beer bar", and want to be honoured, respected and taking care of. It might take maybe even a year, before they introduce you to her family. That introduction is not like in the Western world: my friend for the time being, but... meh, poh, this will be the father of your grand children, and taking care for you and for me till we pass away.

When they like/love you, they are in the bed room much worser as a tiger. Be prepared for a 1 -1.5 h hard work, to satisfy her and by that yourself. Do not be astonished when you are awaken in the middle of the night under the words: "I need more". 

For loyalty to her beloved... many westerners can learn a lot from them.

And when you marry her... you marry her family and get the daughter as bonus. Remind: in Thailand no social security unless… their children.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I arrived in Thailand, I thought I could use logical thinking to understand Thailand.

Insert the word "western" before logical thinking... Ya gotta get that outta your head. Asian logic does not always reach the same conclusions. You are pre-programmed to only accept one way of thinking.

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Plain and simply, you're giving out bad advice based on the false assumption that everyone's got nothing better to do with their time than teach you Thai for free. It's especially bad advice today when so many Thais speak at least a smattering of English. 

Where do you get your absurd presumptions? - who is teaching me Thai for free? When I first got here I carried a dictionary with me at all times. I had phrasebooks. I learned from listening to and speaking with Thai and just as often teaching them English words as well, at their request.. I still do - I am pretty fluid but there might be a word I don't know at any time... 

Talk about false assumptions - Wow!! You sound like a champion at something at least - maybe learning Thai and English with others is a miserable experience for you - but it has been wonderful for me... and the Thai friends who have enjoyed the learning together experience.

The people I have discussed language with in the past, it has usually been a two way street and we both enjoyed the process - - until you somehow seem to make it into a negative - it has been a lot of fun for all involved, except you, it seems and you are not even involved!

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Where do you get your absurd presumptions? - who is teaching me Thai for free? When I first got here I carried a dictionary with me at all times. I had phrasebooks. I learned from listening to and speaking with Thai and just as often teaching them English words as well, at their request.. I still do - I am pretty fluid but there might be a word I don't know at any time... 

Talk about false assumptions - Wow!! You sound like a champion at something at least - maybe learning Thai and English with others is a miserable experience for you - but it has been wonderful for me... and the Thai friends who have enjoyed the learning together experience.

The people I have discussed language with in the past, it has usually been a two way street and we both enjoyed the process - - until you somehow seem to make it into a negative - it has been a lot of fun for all involved, except you, it seems and you are not even involved!

I was talking about a level of fluency that goes beyond "phrase book" Thai.

No matter how comfortable I feel in Thailand, I will never cut all ties with "home" as I do not thrust the so-called political system. They behave like clowns and you can never know what will happen. I always want a "back door" to escape through if all hell should break lose. That is also why I will never invest a lot here. Just enough to be comfortable! 🤗😎

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I was talking about a level of fluency that goes beyond "phrase book" Thai.

Seems you don't comprehend well - I did say when I first got here. I started w/phrasebooks many many years ago... as a very beginner. And dictionaries too. I haven't carried either for many many years... I do still occasionally refer to the dictionary on my computer, especially for spelling. 

It seems like you are working OT to pick a fight... Wake up on the wrong side of the web today? 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I wish I would’ve known that my three to six month assignment was going to turn into 25 years. 

I would have done a number of things differently.

Similar.

Am 19 yrs in, now on my second job.

Only came in 2005 for a 3 month stint  !

8 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Seems you don't comprehend well - I did say when I first got here. I started w/phrasebooks many many years ago... as a very beginner. And dictionaries too. I haven't carried either for many many years... I do still occasionally refer to the dictionary on my computer, especially for spelling. 

It seems like you are working OT to pick a fight... Wake up on the wrong side of the web today? 

Not in the least. It's just that I have seen scarce evidence that without a solid foundation in the language (reading, writing) beforehand, the so-called "immersion technique" rarely gets anyone beyond a rudimentary level. This is especially true in rural Thailand where language learning resources are very limited. I have never seen someone move to rural Thailand with minimal Thai language skills and progress to advanced level. Typically, they have an English speaking spouse, English is spoken at home, and very limited progress is ever made. The only reason I'm pushing this issue with you is to forewarn people that the notion that "I'll just pick up the language after I'm on the ground" usually doesn't work out that well, and there's no substitute for hitting the books, ideally before you get on the plane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

I wish I had known how far Bitcoin was going to rise.

Back in th day I dabbled in it and accumulated a total of 1 BTC that I sold for 7,000 usd, the going rate at the time. I took a small profit and ran.555  Oh well.

43 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Not in the least. It's just that I have seen scarce evidence that without a solid foundation in the language (reading, writing) beforehand, the so-called "immersion technique" rarely gets anyone beyond a rudimentary level. This is especially true in rural Thailand where language learning resources are very limited. I have never seen someone move to rural Thailand with minimal Thai language skills and progress to advanced level. Typically, they have an English speaking spouse, English is spoken at home, and very limited progress is ever made. The only reason I'm pushing this issue with you is to forewarn people that the notion that "I'll just pick up the language after I'm on the ground" usually doesn't work out that well, and there's no substitute for hitting the books, ideally before you get on the plane.

That´s just big BS! Maybe that´s the way of learning Thai that worked for you. One glove does not fit all. I came to Thailand, and lived here for 5 years in bigger tourist cities, and had no big need to learn Thai. After that, I got married and moved to Isaan. There I felt the need to learn, and can now read, speak and write Thai.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

That´s just big BS! Maybe that´s the way of learning Thai that worked for you. One glove does not fit all. I came to Thailand, and lived here for 5 years in bigger tourist cities, and had no big need to learn Thai. After that, I got married and moved to Isaan. There I felt the need to learn, and can now read, speak and write Thai.

Big mistake....surely you should have learned Isaan?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I have seen people with exceptional Thai language skills that they picked up in rural Thailand w/o a text book. Very few because that includes the general population of farang... most that I have seen here do not speak more than 20 words... I would guess 98%.. ;omg ago I visited a friend in Pattaya - the ladies on the baht bus could not believe I could speak Thai with them... they actually asked me if I was Thai.

I think I started this conversation w/the statement that everyone learns differently. I prefer to learn experientially - and that way, I speak like the Thai do... 

26 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Big mistake....surely you should have learned Isaan?

Yeah, we can say that I learned both, but you got a point. 😉 

14 hours ago, NowNow said:

That one went over your head...did you hear it as it went by?

That tongue in cheek humour that avoided you...

It did go over his head didn’t it … by a long way I think. Still I guess it gave him pleasure at the time …

Edited by PFMills

22 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

What's One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Moving to Thailand? 

It was not an issue when I moved here twenty odd years ago but now it's all the moaning, complaining, nasty, miserable foreigners arriving. 

It's even getting worse now the poor Russians are coming. 

Thailand is DOOMED. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It was not an issue when I moved here twenty odd years ago but now it's all the moaning, complaining, nasty, miserable foreigners arriving. 

And now we have social media. forums and the like.

Hows the proliferation of moaning, complaining, nasty, miserable foreigners on those.

Amusing though many do not live here and come for a touristy holiday for a week or two every now and then and yet think they areThailand oracles !

22 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

That I am a handsome man.

It must be true, because all the girls in the bars in pattaya used to shout it at me as I walked past when I lived there.

In the 17 years I have lived here and many times in Bangkok and Pattaya no girl has ever shouted handsome man to me, and the thing is, I really was handsome then. It is probably just the big bellied, unnattractive guys who get shouted handsome man at.

18 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

In the 17 years I have lived here and many times in Bangkok and Pattaya no girl has ever shouted handsome man to me, and the thing is, I really was handsome then. It is probably just the big bellied, unnattractive guys who get shouted handsome man at.

I think it’s more to do with the girls assessment of your ATM potential, maybe you just looked like a poor bum?

• Haha 1