Thai PM Srettha Axed Over Controversial Cabinet Appointment

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

At this moment in time he has been found 'in breach of ethics'......does that automatically translate into being 'axed'?

He must have the right to appeal.......doubt this is over yet.

"Deputy Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai will serve as acting prime minister.

Mr Srettha told reporters at Government House...

“I don’t have any authority left,” he said. “The authority is now with the caretaker prime minister.”

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

And some people above are so deluded they think that the new tax moves on foreign incomes are a minor mistake made by the Srettha government!

When in fact it is the result of an international agreement for governments to share information on money flows so that tax evasion in all participating countries can be brought under control. And thus unlikely to be abandoned by any Thai government.

There are two proposals in the works. The remittances tax which was proposed to take effect with this year's remittances. And the worldwide income tax. Don't think the remittance tax applies to what you're describing. The worldwide income tax does.

Thai Prime Minister Srettha Dismissed Over Major Political Ethics Breach

AP24198550823769.jpg

Thailand's Constitutional Court has ousted Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin from his role, concluding that he grossly breached political ethics by appointing a former criminal to a ministerial position. Srettha had appointed Pichit Chuenban, a well-known lawyer associated with the Shinawatra family, as the Minister of the Prime Minister's Office. The appointment was met with backlash, as 40 Senators argued that Pichit didn't meet the necessary criteria due to his past prison term.

About a decade ago, Pichit was sentenced to six months in jail after attempting to bribe court administrative officers with 6 million baht in a case involving Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife. Because of this severe offence, Pichit was dismissed from the Royal Council of Thailand under Royal Patronage. Pichit chose to step down from his ministerial position on May 21 amid the controversy surrounding his appointment.

In spite of Pichit's resignation, 40 senators lodged a complaint with the Constitutional Court, imploring the court to determine if the actions of the 62-year-old former Prime Minister Srettha violated the ethical norms expected of Thailand's politicians. Srettha, who is from Bangkok, was well aware of Pichit's shortcomings but went on with his appointment. The court consequently announced its verdict, stating that Srettha's actions represented a major breach of political ethics. As a result, Srettha has been stripped of his position as Prime Minister effective immediately.

Following this event, the selection of a new Prime Minister and Cabinet is in order. Even though Srettha can no longer fulfil his duties, other members of the Cabinet may remain in their positions until replacements are appointed. The role of acting Prime Minister during this transition is likely to be filled by ex-Deputy PM Phumtham Wechayachai.

In an interview given just before the court’s announcement, Srettha admitted that although he slept well he was worried about the impending decision by the court. Attention will now turn to those who may take over the top role. Stithorn Thananitichot, Director of the Office of Innovation for Democracy at King Prajadhipok’s Institute, has suggested the likes of Paetongtarn Shinawatra, leader of the Pheu Thai Party, as a potential successor. Other possible candidates could come from coalition parties, including leaders like Anutin Charnvirakul of the Bhumjaithai Party, or Prawit Wongsuwon of the Palang Pracharath Party.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-14

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'd like BJ and PITA forming a joint leadership

Pita is banned for 10 years. Add to that they are political opposites I doubt we will see it. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Not sure what will happen to this government. My Thai colleagues are saying all ministers will be removed from their posts. Can't for the life of me understand all this.

"The ruling on Wednesday terminates all positions in the cabinet, but ministers will stay on in a caretaker capacity".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Srettha, who is from Bangkok, was well aware of Pichit's shortcomings but went on with his appointment.

Overwhelming arrogance or overwhelming incompetence. No in between.

28 minutes ago, Thaindrew said:

So the largest party now is the People’s Party, so they will have first shot at forming a new coalition right?

all been worked out for some time... Yingluck came back, dissolved FF, wait couple days and stab the "non" elected puppet they installed there... skeletons coming out, dirty laundry, legalize the weed back and Anutin will take care of things... OMG what a scenario

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I just feel sad for Thailand. Things now can only get worse, until the next election (whenever that may eventuate) when the PP will win then be overthrown by a military putsch.

Oh well, back to my books.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

At this moment in time he has been found 'in breach of ethics'......does that automatically translate into being 'axed'?

He must have the right to appeal.......doubt this is over yet.

Don't think he has.The constitutional court,  dealing with holders of political offices, is the highest court in the land . Nothing above it. Unless an appeal to the same court is possible, the verdict would be final.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I just feel sad for Thailand. Things now can only get worse, until the next election (whenever that may eventuate) when the PP will win then be overthrown by a military putsch.

Oh well, back to my books.

Would not feel sad for Thailand the people brought this on themself s No action by the people just the attitude of same same   this is a backward 3rd world country and it will always be

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Haha, and there I was thinking you had to have a criminal record to get into politics.

it does help, for some people 🤑

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, John Drake said:

There are two proposals in the works. The remittances tax which was proposed to take effect with this year's remittances. And the worldwide income tax. Don't think the remittance tax applies to what you're describing. The worldwide income tax does.

But what is this WWIT?  Never heard if it before! 

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Deputy Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai will serve as acting prime minister.

Mr Srettha told reporters at Government House...

“I don’t have any authority left,” he said. “The authority is now with the caretaker prime minister.”

he never had any authority .....