Bangok condo owner’s 120,000 baht bill for trashed rental - video

snoop1130

trashed_cleanup.jpg

A Bangkok condo owner shared his experience after discovering a rented room in a deplorable state, leading to renovation costs exceeding 100,000 baht. The tenant, a PR woman, left the room in such a condition that it appeared someone had died, with black water leaking and a foul smell permeating the space.

Around 2pm yesterday, August 13, the 43 year old condo owner, Payungsak, described his shock to an online news outlet after the condo management informed him of the situation. Initially, he feared a crime had occurred due to the state of the room.

Payungsak has been in the condominium rental business for a long time. The woman rented the condo in Sukhumvit 103 through a housekeeper, signing a one-year lease. Despite the lease ending, she hadn’t communicated whether she intended to renew it. The tenant occasionally paid rent, though payments became increasingly sporadic. Their interactions were limited to rent payment confirmations via LINE.

On June 17, the condominium’s management contacted Payungsak, reporting water seeping from the rented room into the common areas, accompanied by a foul odour. Fearing the worst, he rushed to the condo, discovering water leaking from under the door.

Upon entering, he was appalled by the room’s state and the overpowering stench. The room was littered with trash, clothes, and food scraps. Despite the mess, paths were cleared through the debris suggesting the tenant had been returning to the room.

He found numerous high-value items, including branded goods and an iPhone 15 box, indicating recent use. The scene resembled a party aftermath, with evidence of drinking.

Payungsak contacted the tenant immediately on June 17, asking her to remove her belongings and discuss the damages. She evaded the request, sneaking in five days later to collect some items and then ceased communication.

A month later, in July, after partial renovations, Payungsak assessed the damage at 120,000 baht and informed the tenant. She only offered to pay 15,000 baht, claiming financial hardship due to unemployment, which contradicted her apparent lifestyle of using expensive branded items.

Deciding not to wait for the tenant’s payment, Payungsak funded the repairs himself, fearing further damage if left unattended. The renovation, completed in over two months, finished on Monday, August 12, readying the room for new tenants.

Payungsak, who had never encountered such an incident in his rental business, expressed his shock and concern for the condition of his other rental properties. Typically, he allows tenants their privacy without interference. He has consulted a lawyer to explore legal actions against the tenant, considering the extent of the damages and her refusal to pay.

He shared his story on social media to raise awareness and as a plea for the tenant to take responsibility. Payungsak emphasized the importance of mutual respect between landlords and tenants, urging those renting to be considerate, as such situations cause significant distress and financial burden.

The condo is now fully renovated and clean, with all issues resolved. Payungsak reassured potential tenants and neighbours that the room was safe and there was no crime involved.

By Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-14

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not Condoning the mess but really, 120 k to bag all her stuff up ? and a clean, and some of it sellable,  I didn't see anything that needs 'Renovating'

He has no authority to sell her belongings despite her owing him rent and restitution unless she has agreed to it.  Even so, I doubt that she would sue over the dirty junk she left behind.

"Payungsak contacted the tenant asking her to remove her belongings".

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

All that flooring is going to have to be taken up and replaced, and depending on what state it's in underneath it, it might need more work there too. It needs new cupboard doors, and some of the shelves will probably need replacing. It's hard to see from the video whether the tiles in the shower are damaged or just filthy, but there's something going on in there. I'd wager there is mould on the walls where she's got crap piled up against them, in which case the wallpaper will have to come off as well. 

I've no idea what this would cost in Thailand, but it needs a lot more than just trash removal.

I think what he implied was that he would live in that place after cleaning only....... some people live under a bridge and feel perfectly fine.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Can't he just take the tenant to court for the costs?

reading can be tough i know

He has consulted a lawyer to explore legal actions against the tenant, considering the extent of the damages and her refusal to pay.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not Condoning the mess but really, 120 k to bag all her stuff up ? and a clean, and some of it sellable,  I didn't see anything that needs 'Renovating'

you need to visit TOP CHAROEN OPTICAL

you missed the ondulating laminate (because of water damage) - most furniture looks like a writeoff too.

• Love It 1

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe the Condo owner should periodically check-up on rented properties with a house call...

I agree. Arrange a visit every three months or so to inspect for any maintenance issues which gives a chance to assess condition of the property.

3 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

I agree. Arrange a visit every three months or so to inspect for any maintenance issues which gives a chance to assess condition of the property.

Exactly, just a polite house call to check they are happy.

11 hours ago, tgw said:

you need to visit TOP CHAROEN OPTICAL

you missed the ondulating laminate (because of water damage) - most furniture looks like a writeoff too.

HAha i need to look closer because i did not see any furniture with all that trash. 

My wife says this is happening a lot with the younger generation. They simply do not like or want to clean their own mess and will live in it until it becomes unlivable. Then they will leave it for someone else to clean up assuming no responsibility for whatever damage was caused. 

She's a filthy, disgusting, lowlife pig, not only for leaving a property in such a state, but for living in one like this.

I would not be able to function if my house was like this. My surroundings have got to be spotless.

As a kid there were eight of us growing up in a small house, so private space was at a premium, and you had to respect sibling spaces as well. We just didn't live like that, and we were poor.

May mother had the mantra,' cleanliness is next to godliness '  the other one was    ' Soap and water costs nothing '

Then as a young man I joined the Royal Navy, and they were sticklers for hygiene, tidiness and cleanliness.

It was a great way from an early age to put me on the right path, my sons are similar these days and very tidy in their houses.

Edited by Scouse123

Geez...clearly someone with mental issues, I remember a few months ago there was a same topic of a woman who left a condo in such mess/garbage behind...might be the same person?

17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Repairs could easily come to 120k, especially if there is water damage to contend with.