8 months on VE, got warning at Don Muang Airport but let in

Hello everyone, i would like to ask for some advice on re-entering Thailand given my following scenario:

I'm from Hong Kong. By default my passport allows 30 days visa exemption to enter Thailand. From October 2023 till roughly June 2024 i have repeated entered Thailand on visa exemption, every time by flight, with 2 extensions done at Laksi, totaling about 8 months of stay in Thailand. The last time i entered, i unfortunately queued up to a very angry IO and she angrily muttered that i had 8 months of stay in Thailand, what i was doing here and i said, tourism (meh), and she angrily said it's not tourism, it's too long, something like that. So i got pulled to the little open area behind where a few other inbound travelers also sat, i didn't really know what their cases were, didn't really have the mood to inquire. Moments later another IO, this one a young, rather calm, gentleman, said to me i should have some visa next time i want to enter. I asked, can i never use visa exemption to enter again? He said i still can, but didn't specify for how long apart. What kind of visa, i asked, first he said Tourist Visa (the paid one, by conjecture), but given what that female IO told me, i asked was it okay with Tourist Visa, and then he said "business" (i don't know what that means) or student visa. Required me to book an onward flight on the spot, which i complied. They let me book any ticket outbound, not only my home country, and so on the spot i purchased the cheapest one to KL on exactly the 30th day. He stamped me in for 30 days. (so it was June, the 60 days visa exemption still hadn't kicked in yet) Time flied and i lacked the will to gamble on extension, fearing rejection or making my case more noticeable to the immigration, i flied to KL.

But i want to get back to The Land of Smiles (i'm not smiling rn).

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if immigration have a record of my warning on their systems? Or a recent history of long stay (long as in > 6 months) automatically triggers an IO? Perhaps they have some guidelines to pull people who had that?

2. Should i gamble with entering on visa exemption again after a month away? If at all possible, is Chiang Mai reportedly the safer option? What about land crossing? I haven't had one in the above period.
3. If visa exemption is off the table for a month's break away, so then i should apply for Tourist Visa? will i be denied even with that? Because i've read cases that happened.
4. I don't really have sufficient funds to go with anything on the upper shelf of Visas (Elite etc), or DTV, because i have no income, are there any other ways?

Thank you for taking the time to read and very much appreciated your advices.

Edited by Theveryphil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. They have your full lifetime entry and exit history on the computer. It was reported but not confirmed that 6 lifetime visa exempt entries provides some alert on the computer. But I would say its more up to the discretion of the officer, if they think you are not a genuine tourist they will question you further. And lets face it 8 months holiday is not a tourist.

2. I would definitely not gamble with another visa exempt by air. You were lucky to get in with 8 months under your belt. Chiang Mai was safer in the past, but they seem to be more on the same page nowadays, not really worth it. Land crossing should be safer than air, but its a bit more shaky now. In the past you could always get 2 land entries per year. But recently they have started treating them like airports removing this stated limit. So its up the discretion of the officer. Its very early days with this so nobody can really tell you for sure.

3. A month off is not enough to feel safe, you would still face the same scrutiny on arrival. You would need 6 months outside thailand to really reset yourself. Tourist Visa should be granted because you have never even had one before. But be advised you can still face the same scrutiny on arrival with a tourist visa, some have even been denied entry with one but its rare.

4. Not really any other ways if you have a tight budget like this.

Hey,

What is the reason you fly in/out so many times? If you like Thailand so much, you should stay in country and use visa run companies to stay there. If you have to fly in so often, look into some options for "safe entry". I dont know if its allowed to show links here, so my suggestion is to contact some of the big visa agencies in Bangkok (Thaivisaservice, Bangkok Buddy).

Good luck.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP is working remotely and not a tourist

He says, "I don't really have sufficient funds to go with anything on the upper shelf of Visas (Elite etc), or DTV, because i have no income"

His financial status seems a mystery.

Get TV while you are in Malaysia, try in Penang.  KL can be very strict.

After that fly back, and extend the TV getting 90days. Then apply for a school (35k + 5k + 5k + 5k) ED visa, getting you 1 year.

I got grilled at HKT for staying just 90days and going to KL for 1 night and back the next day. IOs made me buy ticket to Russia and told me that if I had TV they would be ok.
I'll go for DTV of course in 2 weeks, hope that will put an end to my visa problems.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Theveryphil said:

Hello everyone, i would like to ask for some advice on re-entering Thailand given my following scenario:

I'm from Hong Kong. By default my passport allows 30 days visa exemption to enter Thailand. From October 2023 till roughly June 2024 i have repeated entered Thailand on visa exemption, every time by flight, with 2 extensions done at Laksi, totaling about 8 months of stay in Thailand. The last time i entered, i unfortunately queued up to a very angry IO and she angrily muttered that i had 8 months of stay in Thailand, what i was doing here and i said, tourism (meh), and she angrily said it's not tourism, it's too long, something like that. So i got pulled to the little open area behind where a few other inbound travelers also sat, i didn't really know what their cases were, didn't really have the mood to inquire. Moments later another IO, this one a young, rather calm, gentleman, said to me i should have some visa next time i want to enter. I asked, can i never use visa exemption to enter again? He said i still can, but didn't specify for how long apart. What kind of visa, i asked, first he said Tourist Visa (the paid one, by conjecture), but given what that female IO told me, i asked was it okay with Tourist Visa, and then he said "business" (i don't know what that means) or student visa. Required me to book an onward flight on the spot, which i complied. They let me book any ticket outbound, not only my home country, and so on the spot i purchased the cheapest one to KL on exactly the 30th day. He stamped me in for 30 days. (so it was June, the 60 days visa exemption still hadn't kicked in yet) Time flied and i lacked the will to gamble on extension, fearing rejection or making my case more noticeable to the immigration, i flied to KL.

But i want to get back to The Land of Smiles (i'm not smiling rn).

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if immigration have a record of my warning on their systems? Or a recent history of long stay (long as in > 6 months) automatically triggers an IO? Perhaps they have some guidelines to pull people who had that?

2. Should i gamble with entering on visa exemption again after a month away? If at all possible, is Chiang Mai reportedly the safer option? What about land crossing? I haven't had one in the above period.
3. If visa exemption is off the table for a month's break away, so then i should apply for Tourist Visa? will i be denied even with that? Because i've read cases that happened.
4. I don't really have sufficient funds to go with anything on the upper shelf of Visas (Elite etc), or DTV, because i have no income, are there any other ways?

Thank you for taking the time to read and very much appreciated your advices.

"was reported but not confirmed that 6 lifetime visa exempt entries provides some alert on the computer"

No way, 6 lifetime exemption trigger an alert. I probably have over 100 of those, the computer would freak out ,if that was the case. They are mainly interested in recent entries. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

"was reported but not confirmed that 6 lifetime visa exempt entries provides some alert on the computer"

No way, 6 lifetime exemption trigger an alert. I probably have over 100 of those, the computer would freak out ,if that was the case. They are mainly interested in recent entries. 

You're misquoting the OP. He never mentioned 'lifetime' VE entries.

He stated;

18 hours ago, Theveryphil said:

Or a recent history of long stay (long as in > 6 months) automatically triggers an IO?

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Get TV while you are in Malaysia, try in Penang.  KL can be very strict.

After that fly back, and extend the TV getting 90days. Then apply for a school (35k + 5k + 5k + 5k) ED visa, getting you 1 year.

I got grilled at HKT for staying just 90days and going to KL for 1 night and back the next day. IOs made me buy ticket to Russia and told me that if I had TV they would be ok.
I'll go for DTV of course in 2 weeks, hope that will put an end to my visa problems.

I would suggest Penang too, went there recently after too many VE entries and almost 90/180 days. You do need to show bank statements though. Only wanted 5 days in country but wanted to be safe, IO’s were much more pleasant.. That was just before the new 60 day thing unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

You can always use a visa agency with connection at DMK or Bkk airports. You'll be let in within minutes with no question or no need to present anything. Price I paid is 4,500 to 5,000 baht. Hope that helps you as another safe option.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Theveryphil said:

because i have no income

So what do you live of? You're obviously not a tourist. What are you doing here? 

There are so many visa options to select from. Don't you fit into any of the categories?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Alex said:

Am I allowed to? Was thinking could PM interested people.

Up to you.

Folk post often re agents for extensions.

PM is an option.

Few hours ago I was at Maneerat visa agent brief meeting. 

Will post that info in future if requested 

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You're misquoting the OP. He never mentioned 'lifetime' VE entries.

He stated;

I got the quotes mixed up. The lifetime was in the first reply , not in the original post.

On 8/15/2024 at 7:04 PM, Theveryphil said:

I don't really have sufficient funds to go with anything on the upper shelf of Visas (Elite etc), or DTV, because i have no income

Well, if no income, I am guessing you have savings, or could not be eating / sleeping indoors here.  For DTV, need to show 500K worth of money in some bank account - and can use "soft power" options to avoid showing income / employment.   If that isn't possible, and you are under 50, an education-visa could work for a year (someone posted above on this).  Also the METV, but need to apply for that Visa in your home-country.

As others reported, all they really want at the Bangkok airports is agent-money in their pocket - is all what that hassling was about.  They are not permitted to hassle "occasional" tourists, but folks who stay longer/often are targeted.

Also, you could just enter by land from Malaysia.  If they decline-entry, you just turn-around and get your exit stamp from Malaysia canceled - nothing lost but the trip to the border.  This is much better than being forced-back from an airport.  I would come by train, if in KL now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Srikcir said:

He says, "I don't really have sufficient funds to go with anything on the upper shelf of Visas (Elite etc), or DTV, because i have no income"

His financial status seems a mystery.

If he can afford to fly back and forth, surely, he can get a DTV visa?

Sorry, I forgot, you must have 500K.

Education visa, Muay Thai learning visa, etc

OP needs to research and get a bit more resourceful.

Edited by Scouse123

I know a visa agency that offer border run by air and by land, by air they ask you to pay for the flight ticket, they come to pick you up at your local place and bring you to the airport, fly out and fly back to Thailand in one day. Very easy and of course no issues with these immigration officers. You just pay here, this is how the system works here, it's all about money money money and immigration like that

Edited by Jack1988
  • Like 1