Man Dies After Mini Van Hits Tree at Speed

IMG_4488.jpeg

Picture from responders

A 65-year-old man tragically lost his life after, it is believed, that he may have fallen asleep behind the wheel of a van and crashing into a tree. 

The fatal accident occurred at 10:50, on August 16, 2024. Emergency response teams from Lampang Provincial Rescue Centre and police officers from Ko Kha Police Station were alerted to the incident, which took place on the Lampang-Tak road near the Lang Turn checkpoint in Ko Kha District, Lampang Province.

Upon arrival, the authorities, found a Toyota van with license plate number from Udon Thani, severely damaged after colliding with a tree. Inside still in the driver's seat, they discovered the lifeless body of Mr. Arun aged 65, a resident of Mae Hia Subdistrict, Chiang Mai. He was found pinned by the steering wheel, trapped within the wreckage, but fortunately, there were no passengers in the van at the time of the accident.

Rescue personnel used hydraulic equipment to extricate the body, which was then transported to the forensic department at Ko Kha Hospital for further examination.

Preliminary investigations suggest that Mr. Arun may have fallen asleep while driving, as officers discovered tyre marks extending for about 15 metres from the scene. It is believed that the van was traveling at a high speed before crashing into the tree, resulting in the fatal outcome. 

The police are continuing their investigation to determine further details.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-17

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Always an excuse - sleeping, dogs, wet pavement, dark outside etc

what about speeding for road conditions and losing control?

drivers are never blamed for driving mistakes…

Thais rarely take responsibility for their actions. 

9 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

A 65-year-old man tragically lost his life after, it is believed, that he may have fallen asleep behind the wheel of a van and crashing into a tree. 

I want to pass in my sleep, but I'd rather be in bed than behind the steering wheel.

He's gonna be pissed when he wakes up.

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I want to pass in my sleep, but I'd rather be in bed than behind the steering wheel.

He's gonna be pissed when he wakes up.

I might have missed it but I didn't see anywhere  in the article where it mentioned that the driver had been drinking alcohol so that he would be pissed when he woke up.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

I might have missed it but I didn't see anywhere  in the article where it mentioned that the driver had been drinking alcohol so that he would be pissed when he woke up.

Pissed as in peed-off [upset] not inebriated.