Songthaew Crashes into Truck, Leaving 4 Dead and 5 Injured, Saraburi

IMG_4572.jpeg
Pictures from responders.

On August 18 a devastating accident occurred in Saraburi Province when a songthaew driver lost control on a curve and crashed into the rear of a truck near the entrance of Wat Phra Phutthachai in Nong Pla Lai Subdistrict, Mueang District, Saraburi. The crash resulted in four fatalities and five injuries.

The accident took place on the Phra Phutthachai bypass road, near the intersection bordering Nong Nak Subdistrict in Nong Khae District. Emergency response teams arrived at the scene, to find casualties thrown all across the road, will one body still in the rear of the songthaew, and immediately provided assistance, transporting the injured to a nearby hospital. The bodies of the deceased were sent for autopsies before being released to their families for religious ceremonies.

Initial investigations revealed that the songthaew, which was carrying 11 passengers and operating on the Saraburi-Viharn Daeng route (license plate 10-1767 Saraburi), was heading toward Viharn Daeng District when the driver, agd 53, lost control, as it was coming around the curve, causing the vehicle to collide with the parked truck.

Authorities are conducting a further investigation to determine the exact cause of the accident.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-19

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

IMG_4574.jpeg

• Sad 2

Can't see any sign of the passenger safety cell, impact protection and forward facing seats with belts for the passengers in that pic. I'd wager 4 deaths and almost all injuries would have been prevented if this was a purpose built passenger vehicle but then again 'life is cheap' is proven to be the case yet again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Can't see any sign of the passenger safety cell, impact protection and forward facing seats with belts for the passengers in that pic. I'd wager 4 deaths and almost all injuries would have been prevented if this was a purpose built passenger vehicle but then again 'life is cheap' is proven to be the case yet again.

I reckon you may see this pipe dream eventuate within the 35 years!

8 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Initial investigations revealed that the songthaew, which was carrying 11 passengers and operating on the Saraburi-Viharn Daeng route (license plate 10-1767 Saraburi), was heading toward Viharn Daeng District when the driver, agd 53, lost control, as it was coming around the curve, causing the vehicle to collide with the parked truck.

I'm guessing speed was the reason?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

In response to your post purpose built vehicles are available... Songthaews are just one option.

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Am not convinced that life is cheap here, what I am more thinking about is that Thai people are under the belief that they have multiple lives.

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Can't see any sign of the passenger safety cell, impact protection and forward facing seats with belts for the passengers in that pic

Somewhat "refreshing" to read from someone who has no experience with quality of transport in Thailand :biggrin:

That's the reality in Thailand:

(fortunately they do not speed before a curve)

Songthaew.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ