Cataract Surgery Koh Samui

I’ve been diagnosed with cataracts and require surgery. Looking at maybe multi focal IOL’s. I went to a local Opthamologist yesterday and he recommended I have it done at the govt hospital or Koh Samui Hospital for 40-60,000 baht each eye. Bangkok Hospital is currently quoting online 130,000 baht each eye for multi focal. Does anyone have any experience with this on Samui or should I go to Bangkok?

Just my opinion, you are talking about yours eyes not a STD.  If they screw it up, you are screwed and could ruin your life.  I know a guy who had it done recently at a place that was ¨cheap.¨  He has constant headaches and can barely see.

Up to you.  I would spend the money and go to the best Doctor in the country .  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Do you have the Bangkok Airways resident card?

BHS should give a discount if you do.

I had my cataracts replaced 18 months ago but I went to BHP in Phuket. At the Bright View Centre.

Tri focal lenses - no more glasses.

Absolutely brilliant. Cost me about 230,000 THB plus flights etc.

If BHS are providing the same service, maybe go there. Always ask for a discount. (I self insure and get discounts.)

https://www.brightviewcenter.com/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As people have said, Rutnin in Bangkok is best possible place for this. While cataract removal with standard implant is straightfoward,  placing a multifocal lens is more complex.

They do not suit everyone. Be sure to research this choice carefully and if you decide to go through with it then I do advise Bangkok.

For standard lens, you can do that locally but I would recommend Surathani over the island. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Do you have the Bangkok Airways resident card?

BHS should give a discount if you do.

I had my cataracts replaced 18 months ago but I went to BHP in Phuket. At the Bright View Centre.

Tri focal lenses - no more glasses.

Absolutely brilliant. Cost me about 230,000 THB plus flights etc.

If BHS are providing the same service, maybe go there. Always ask for a discount. (I self insure and get discounts.)

https://www.brightviewcenter.com/

Do you drive in the night?

With the tri-focal IOL;s how is it with bright lights? Glare, Halos, Starburts etc.

19 hours ago, No Forwarding Address said:

Rutnin Eye Hospital, just re-attached a torn retina on a mates eye………but probably out of range for the ops ability to pay - bkk6060 is correct, don’t skimp on your eyes, they screw it up, and you lose twice………….Peace

Laser repair of a torn retina is a task typically done by a resident, it doesn't need super specialty skills. Mine was done by an Opthamologist who told me this and said the only reason she was doing it is because she happened to be there at the time. The Rutnin is very very good but it's overkill for laser repair of a torn retina.

Ditto cataract surgery. Cataract surgery is performed daily all over the world by junior doctors, often in less than sanitary conditions,. it's a 20 minutes procedure that is straight forward. The choice of lens is another issue, that's personal choice. In the North, cataract surgery using a standard IOL can be done for 25k per eye as a routine procedure, paying 130k per eye is also overkill..

Edited by chiang mai