Foreign cyclist severely injured after being hit by Phuket Airport taxi

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Galong said:

How is this suicidal compared to motorcyclists? Bicycles tend to stay tight left and tend to be more aware. They're going slower. Motorbikes have more accidents.

I cycle daily. I would always wear a helmet and I've got a huge mirror that I check constantly. I've had one accident. That was being hit from behind on a quiet road by a motorbike. The guy admitted he was looking at his phone. That could have happened if I was on a motorbike.

I am sure if you had the same amount of bicycles on the road as motorbikes it would be carnage.

Cyclists are far more dangerous than the average motorcycle due to the fact they are slower and don't keep up with traffic. 

Also they like to have 2 sometimes 3 abreast 

If you were on a motorcycle he probably would not of rear ended you as he probably thought you were going the same speed as him when he glanced up from his phone .

If its a choice of a Honda wave or a pushbike on these roads I am sure the wave is safer as you can keep up with the flow of traffic. 

I wouldn't trust somchai in his nissan big m when I have is a plastic helmet and some tight lycra.

Edited by kwak250
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, atpeace said:

Cycling is much more dangerous.  In 25 years here I've been in ER 3 times and not even a scratch during all these years driving a motorbike.

The exact opposite for me, riding a motorcycle  and being run into a curb by an oncoming pickuptruck in my lane I shattered the top of my tibia at the knee joint. 

riding a bike here nearly daily with increasing distance and intensity since the early 2000's I have not hurt myself or had a truly life-threatening experince. I did 178 km this weekend and it was lovely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Because you know that you are one of the lowest on the pecking order, somewhere between Soi Dogs and Pedestrians, which means your life means nothing to the average Thai driver, you are nothing more than an impediment. You'd be safer dodging live-fire on a firing range, or jumping out of a plane without a parachute, than driving a bicycle on any road in Thailand.

bull<deleted>. simply ignorant hyperbole

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, n00dle said:

A stupid remark that has absolutely no understanding of the reality that in many ways Thailand is a far better place to ride your bike than say the UK and the US where drivers are becoming increasingly antagonistic and dangerous towards cyclists.   

All roads are potentially lethal, all  motor vehicles same.

I am not saying cycling is a risk-free activity, but am entirely sick of people on the sofa making assinine generalizations about things they don't understand. I do over 10k km each year (on track for 12k + this year) in Thailand, largely without incident (knock wood), this unfortunate cyclist is an outlier.

find better excuses to avoid exercise and outdoor activity.   

4 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

You could try both Rama IX Park where the oval is located for a few quick laps.  You can't cycle elsewhere in the park that much.  Even better is Nong Bon which is right next door to Rama IX Park.  It has a 4km path that is shared with other cyclists, runners, and walkers.  A lot of shade so is nicer than Skylane.  

This is Phuket Forum

6 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

So if your love is Cycling what you have done all your life you have to give it up because you ride in Thailand ? 

I see many cyclists here every morning.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:
7 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

So if your love is Cycling what you have done all your life you have to give it up because you ride in Thailand ? 

What time of the morning and where is that ?

Usually, at about 6-7am (when its cooler) and drunk drivers are already home by then... 

But... it only takes one drunk driver who thinks they can handle it, gets distracted and then plows into the back of 4 or 5 riders in the morning... 

I can think of a few recent incidents (over the past couple of years) where a drunk has mown down and killed a few riders, riding as part of a group.

I suspect the only safe way to ride like this is to have a 'following car' as a buffer from the drunk idiots. 

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

The exact opposite for me, riding a motorcycle  and being run into a curb by an oncoming pickuptruck in my lane I shattered the top of my tibia at the knee joint. 

riding a bike here nearly daily with increasing distance and intensity since the early 2000's I have not hurt myself or had a truly life-threatening experince. I did 178 km this weekend and it was lovely.

That is nice and it is a great time.  Funny how our experiences are the opposite.  

I miss it but as long as I can run, I'll keep doing it.  Have had too many friends here experience bad accidents on bikes.  I don't know of one off the top of my head that hasn't.  I don't have one friend that has a had a bad motorbike accident.  

7 hours ago, n00dle said:

A stupid remark that has absolutely no understanding of the reality that in many ways Thailand is a far better place to ride your bike than say the UK and the US where drivers are becoming increasingly antagonistic and dangerous towards cyclists.   

Roads are lethal, motor vehicles are lethal. I do over 10k km each year (on track for 12k + this year) in Thailand, largely without incident (knock wood). 

I am not saying cycling is a risk-free activity, but am entirely sick of people on the sofa making assinine generalizations about things they don't understand  

Sorry, you are trying to make a point and disregarding reality.  It is safer here to cycle than America????  You seem angry for some reason.  I love cycling and so did my friends here when I rode and raced in Thailand. 

It Definately "can" be safe depending on where you live in Thailand and what speeds you cycle.  Maybe your in a good area, been extremely lucky, or something else I'm unaware of but you are coming across as an angry know it all.  Cycling  can be dangerous everywhere in the world but compared to Europe it  is much more dangerous here.  How would it be that one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive a car would be safe for cyclists?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

This was a group of club cyclists with all the gear on and racing bicycles not your average cyclists out for a ride in the Morning Steven.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, atpeace said:

Cycling is much more dangerous.  In 25 years here I've been in ER 3 times and not even a scratch during all these years driving a motorbike. 

The issue is the speed disparity between vehicles and motorbikes and also the weight/size.  Drivers can have a hard time at times judging speed and some just simply miss cyclists when scanning the road.

A nice man hit me head on and told the police he didn't even see me and this has happened three times and maybe four ( woke up at 11pm in a ditch and no idea what happened the last time).  The three unaware drivers: man was excited about picking up his kids, two scooter talking to each other and didn't see me, and the last was a drunk on a scooter( he ended up with major head trauma and I had only broken bones).

Definately can mitigate risk if you are the ultra aware type, don't go over 60 kph on downhills, and obviously wear a helmet.  Still if you are an avid cyclist here expect broken bones at the least every 5-10 years.  I now am a runner 🙂

We lost another relative yesterday due to a scooter accident. One of the most dangerous countries in the world for this.

37 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

We lost another relative yesterday due to a scooter accident. One of the most dangerous countries in the world for this.

Sorry for your loss.

If you dont mind me asking,....  can I pose the following questions (I'll give my resoning after the questions).

- Wearing a helemet ?

- Sobre ?

- Riding a night ?

- Riding in the Wet ?

- Speeding or riding fast ?

- Quality of eyesight ?

- Using phone while riding ?

The reasons I ask is to evaluate risk profile. 

Riding without a helmet oviously increases the risk of serioius injury by about 50%... 

Just run into a wall at full speed (usually about 20kmh for most ppl) and try and come away without a severe head injury. 

Riding at night - More drunk people around and poorer visibility due to dark tint - this more chance of a loon knocking you off your bike (I personally avoid riding at night wherever possible).

Riding in the Wet - reduces visibility of other vehicles who can't see through crappy windshield dark tint and poor wipers, slippery roads so no one can stop, easier to get into a skid or slide when avoiding something.

Speeding / riding fast - speaks for itself... those riding fast have less chance to react (especially when combined with the above factors).

Quality of eyesight - my night vision is getting worse, I mostly get my Wife to drive at night...  but when I compare to others (friends etc) its still much better !!...  just not good enough for the clarity of vision I want.

Phone use - so many people dont realise how much road information they miss when looking at a phone for one second. 

I'm not suggesting any of the reasons above are the cause for the loss of your relative - but, the close friends have had accidents, its usually because of one of those factors: 

- Guy (Thai) killed himself - rode into the back of a parked truck at night, while drunk at night.

- Guy (Western) serious leg injury (lucky not to die).... months of recover, rode while drunk at night, didn't see the truck. 

- Guy (Thai) using his phone, no seat belt on, drove into the back of another car, Sober, but just not careful, 

- Nearly all Thai's I know have been involved in a drink driving related accident.

- Guy (motorbike) lost his front end braking over a metal road works cover at night, poor lighting, saw the cover too late.

• Sad 3

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sorry for your loss.

If you dont mind me asking,....  can I pose the following questions (I'll give my resoning after the questions).

- Wearing a helemet ?

- Sobre ?

- Riding a night ?

- Riding in the Wet ?

- Speeding or riding fast ?

- Quality of eyesight ?

- Using phone while riding ?

The reasons I ask is to evaluate risk profile. 

Riding without a helmet oviously increases the risk of serioius injury by about 50%... 

Just run into a wall at full speed (usually about 20kmh for most ppl) and try and come away without a severe head injury. 

Riding at night - More drunk people around and poorer visibility due to dark tint - this more chance of a loon knocking you off your bike (I personally avoid riding at night wherever possible).

Riding in the Wet - reduces visibility of other vehicles who can't see through crappy windshield dark tint and poor wipers, slippery roads so no one can stop, easier to get into a skid or slide when avoiding something.

Speeding / riding fast - speaks for itself... those riding fast have less chance to react (especially when combined with the above factors).

Quality of eyesight - my night vision is getting worse, I mostly get my Wife to drive at night...  but when I compare to others (friends etc) its still much better !!...  just not good enough for the clarity of vision I want.

Phone use - so many people dont realise how much road information they miss when looking at a phone for one second. 

I'm not suggesting any of the reasons above are the cause for the loss of your relative - but, the close friends have had accidents, its usually because of one of those factors: 

- Guy (Thai) killed himself - rode into the back of a parked truck at night, while drunk at night.

- Guy (Western) serious leg injury (lucky not to die).... months of recover, rode while drunk at night, didn't see the truck. 

- Guy (Thai) using his phone, no seat belt on, drove into the back of another car, Sober, but just not careful, 

- Nearly all Thai's I know have been involved in a drink driving related accident.

- Guy (motorbike) lost his front end braking over a metal road works cover at night, poor lighting, saw the cover too late.

15 years old. No helmet. No alcohol involved. Another scooter came out of a side road and ran into him. Hit a electric pole and died immediately. The one who hit him is in jail. In a very small farming village in issan

Just now, Roo Island said:

15 years old. No helmet. No alcohol involved. Another scooter came out of a side road and ran into him. Hit a electric pole and died immediately. The one who hit him is in jail. In a very small farming village in issan

Sorry to hear that.....     Maybe the helmet could have made a difference - too late now and I doubt any other around will learn.

In Laws recently had an accident - Small impact, Airbags went off...  FiL injured... no seatbelt. 

It was the Airbag that hurt him.....

I've been telling them for years to wear an airbag....  but nope.... they sit 'on' the seatbelt (done up) to stop the car dinging....   they refuse to listen. 

Ironically, when they get in my car, they put the seatbelt on automatically, as I refuse to move until they do so.

So... tonight... first time we've seen them since the accident - FiL wants to show me his injuries...  I asked him if he was wearing a seatbelt - Nope... I don't him the injuries are his own fault then... later on they leave and get in their new car...  Nope... no seatbelt - not chance of them doing that... 

Lovely people - but eff me.... for the life of me I cannot understand how educated and seemingly intelligent people can be so obtuse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

This was a group of club cyclists with all the gear on and racing bicycles not your average cyclists out for a ride in the Morning Steven.

I see many cyclists in the morning. Some in groups, some smaller groups, some single.

You really have no idea.

16 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

You new here? Because I was spot on with my assessment.

New here?  are we comparing stays for authority? Should we both pull them out at the same time?

i arrived in 1996. I was 24 and an avid cyclist. I have been cycling in Thailand ever since with a few years based in BGC in the Phils. I commuted tom work by bike there too.

In the last 5 years, I have averaged about 9000 km per year -- on the road -- and I have already done 7000 km since January this year. I have cycled in Bangkok, Ayutghaya, Pattaya Koh Phangan, Samui. Chaiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Phuket, Khao lak, Surat Thani Nakhon si Thammarat, Khon Kaen Hua Hin Ratcahburi and Kanchanaburi.  

your assessment is both ill-informed and asinine, a combination of fear and ignorance. 

Edited by n00dle
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What time of the morning and where is that ?

Usually, at about 6-7am (when its cooler) and drunk drivers are already home by then... 

But... it only takes one drunk driver who thinks they can handle it, gets distracted and then plows into the back of 4 or 5 riders in the morning... 

I can think of a few recent incidents (over the past couple of years) where a drunk has mown down and killed a few riders, riding as part of a group.

I suspect the only safe way to ride like this is to have a 'following car' as a buffer from the drunk idiots. 

It is so obvious you have never even been out on a bike here, despite the vehemence of your assumptions

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, n00dle said:

New here?  are we comparing stays for authority? Should we both pull them out at the same time?

i arrived in 1996. I was 24 and an avid cyclist. I have been cycling in Thailand ever since with a few years based in BGC in the Phils. I commuted tom work by bike there too.

In the last 5 years, I have averaged about 9000 km per year -- on the road -- and I have already done 7000 km since January this year. I have cycled in Bangkok, Ayutghaya, Pattaya Koh Phangan, Samui. Chaiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Phuket, Khao lak, Surat Thani Nakhon si Thammarat, Khon Kaen Hua Hin Ratcahburi and Kanchanaburi.  

your assessment is both ill-informed and asinine, a combination of fear and ignorance. 

To even defend the insane drivers here in Thailand is to be ill-informed, and dangerous to express to others that it isn't. But keep preaching how safe it is to bike here in the land of "me first" lunatics, or whatever floats your boat.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, atpeace said:

Sorry, you are trying to make a point and disregarding reality.  It is safer here to cycle than America????  You seem angry for some reason.  I love cycling and so did my friends here when I rode and raced in Thailand. 

It Definately "can" be safe depending on where you live in Thailand and what speeds you cycle.  Maybe your in a good area, been extremely lucky, or something else I'm unaware of but you are coming across as an angry know it all.  Cycling  can be dangerous everywhere in the world but compared to Europe it  is much more dangerous here.  How would it be that one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive a car would be safe for cyclists?

I have not disregarded reality. Do not alter my words. 

I said in many ways it is safer to cycle here than the US or Britian. I did not mention Europe where there is an actual cycling culture and infrastructure, and folks have a different attitude towards bikes. The fact  remains that in car-centric countries like the US and Britain  (and Canada and Australia to a lesser but very real extent) anti-cycling sentiment, and the dehumanization of cyclists by drivers is on the rise

USA cycle casualties show similarly high numbers 

The number of preventable deaths from bicycle transportation incidents increased 10% in 2022 and have increased 47% in the last 10 years (from 925 in 2013 to 1,360 in 2022). At the same time, the number of preventable nonfatal injuries has declined 32%, from 493,884 in 2013 to 337,738 in 2022.

Bicycle-related deaths peak in the warmer months, starting in July, and they remain high through October. In 2022, most deaths occurred in August (156) and the fewest in January (73).

Of the 1,360 bicyclist deaths in 2022, 928 died in motor-vehicle crashes and 432 in other incidents, according to National Center for Health Statistics mortality data. Males accounted for 87% of all bicycle deaths, over eight times the fatalities for females.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/home-and-community/safety-topics/bicycle-deaths/#:~:text=Of the 1%2C360 bicyclist deaths,times the fatalities for females.

What is most concerning is an alarmingly high incidence of cyclists in the US and UK, reporting harassment, and threatening behavior where drivers purposely cause accidents or chase and try to scare riders. In the US a  favorite trick is to roll coal, or blanket riders in black diesel smoke  

I have friends in Florida who say this happens to them a few times a year.

In the UK, people on mopeds stalk cyclists to steal their bikes. Again I have friends in various cities in the UK that report similar activities near them.  I have one friend who was chased. 

So yes i get angry when folk who have no idea what they talking about make false claims about the danger. Cycling comes with inherent risks, they are not necessarily any worse here. 

if subs like r/cycling are any indicator a huge number of riders are harassed or put in danger in "civilised" nations. NONE of these things happen commonly in Thailand.

Edited by n00dle

29 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

To even defend the insane drivers here in Thailand is to be ill-informed, and dangerous to express to others that it isn't. But keep preaching how safe it is to bike here in the land of "me first" lunatics, or whatever floats your boat.

great, meanwhile you just stay on the sofa racking up posts and composing a list of all the things you are afraid to try.

Phuket is popular with serious cyclist, I see the bikes they have, many always seem to head towards Rawai as they like to go up to Phrom Thep cape and back down, 

I rode my bike for years here in Phuket infact when I first came to Phuket 23 years ago it was one of the first things I bought, then later I got a better one, 

I always thought it was pretty safe, there used to be a big group who used to come down to Nai Harn every Wednesday evening, 

30 minutes ago, n00dle said:

great, meanwhile you just stay on the sofa racking up posts and composing a list of all the things you are afraid to try.

Or I could follow your lead and be as obtuse as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Or I could follow your lead and be as obtuse as possible.

you may have head start there me old mucker. have a safe day, wouldn't want you tripping on a loose shoelace.