Heavy Rains Cause Landslides in Phuket, 1 Dead

Georgealbert

UPDATE

Phuket Governor Announces End to Search Efforts After Landslide, 13 Dead and 19 Injured

August 25 at 09.00, Phuket Governor Sopon Suwannarat has officially declared the end of search and rescue efforts following a deadly landslide in Kata Subdistrict, Mueang Phuket District. Authorities have recovered the bodies of all missing persons, bringing the total death toll to 13, with 19 others injured. The landslide affected 209 households across three subdistricts and nine villages.

During a meeting on August 25, Governor Sopon confirmed that search teams, including the K9 National Rescue Unit, had located all the missing bodies. The deceased include five men and eight women: two Thai women from Surat Thani and Sakon Nakhon provinces, two Russian nationals (a married couple), and nine Burmese migrant workers (four men and five women).

Governor Sopon emphasised the importance of swift relief efforts for those affected by the disaster. He instructed local authorities to provide prompt assistance to all impacted households, including coordination with embassies and consulates for foreign nationals involved. For the Burmese workers, he has tasked the provincial labour department with verifying their employment status and coordinating with their employers to ensure appropriate support is given. The Office of Insurance Commission has also been asked to investigate potential insurance claims for the affected individuals and expedite any relief measures possible.

Efforts are now focused on clearing the area, with a coordinated response from all sectors aiming to restore normalcy within the next one to two days.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-25

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Georgealbert,  thanks for the news .. it is very sad that many lives have been taken in this landslide.

It makes me sad when I see human error causes these disasters.

I hope the relatives take their surviving family members in and give them food. 

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

The carpark at the Big Buddha may have contributed to this starting as it appears a sinkhole developed and then the soil on the hill side gave away. 

The water may have been running underneath the tree / forest growth and continually washing the soil downhill.

This is likely why the hillside growth failed.  

Sue the carpark developers and contractors.  

I was wondering what triggered the landslide, not knowing the area was it deforestation, building/development work or just plain bad luck?

26 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I was wondering what triggered the landslide, not knowing the area was it deforestation, building/development work or just plain bad luck?

I'm not in the location so I'm going by the videos and photos,  it looks to be a hillside that was tree forested and substantial growth,  however at the top a carpark was installed and this may have contributed to the landslide.    But looking at it,  it was not small ... it was quite a large area that gave away and slide down.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'm not in the location so I'm going by the videos and photos,  it looks to be a hillside that was tree forested and substantial growth,  however at the top a carpark was installed and this may have contributed to the landslide.    But looking at it,  it was not small ... it was quite a large area that gave away and slide down.  

This could not possibly be the fault of the car park developers or the fact that all the trees etc. were cut down to make way for it.......They would have have had all the necessary permits and approvals in place...YEAH ..SURE.!!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, wavodavo said:

This could not possibly be the fault of the car park developers or the fact that all the trees etc. were cut down to make way for it.......They would have have had all the necessary permits and approvals in place...YEAH ..SURE.!!

you want the approval ....  just show me the color of your money  :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Katatonica said:

Quite aware of that, thanks, can see it and the landslide from my house.

oh dear'  is there any cause for concern where you are? 

is it safe?  do you have anywhere you can go... 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

At the top of that hill is the Big Buddha I am told they also built a car park around it, they would have to clear a fair bit of land, Thai's are worried it will all collapse 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

UPDATE

Big Buddha Temple in Phuket Operating Illegally, Says Karon Mayor

The Big Buddha temple in Karon District is under scrutiny for operating without a construction permit, according to Karon Tambon Municipality Mayor, Jadet Witcharasorn. 

The temple, located in a forested area on elevated land, is in violation of the law as construction in this zone requires proper authorisation . Mayor Jadet revealed that the Karon Subdistrict Municipality had called for the removal or relocation of the temple since last year, yet no action has been taken. 

As a result, authorities filed a police complaint for violation of the Building Control Act last year, though the temple continues to operate.

The controversy is further intensified by the temple’s location at the summit of the mountain, the site of a recent tragic landslide.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-26

news-footer-3.png

• Agree 1

UPDATE

Foundation President Asserts Big Buddha at Khao Nakkerd Not Responsible for Phuket Landslide

IMG_4859.jpeg

The President of the Phra Phuttha Ming Mongkol Eknakiri Foundation, which oversees the Big Buddha at Khao Nakkerd, Phuket, firmly believes that the recent landslide was not caused by the construction at the temple.

The president assured that all necessary construction permits were obtained from the Office of National Buddhism and the Department of Forestry, and emphasized that the structure of the statue can withstand earthquakes of up to 10 on the Richter scale. Meanwhile, local residents are urging authorities to conduct safety inspections around the mountain, fearing potential repeat incidents.

The landslide recently struck the Patak 2 and 4 neighborhoods, as well as parts of Karon Subdistrict in Mueang District, causing widespread destruction. The disaster claimed 13 lives, injured 19 people, and affected 209 households across three subdistricts and nine villages. Some residents have speculated that the ongoing construction at the Big Buddha temple may have contributed to the landslide.

On August 26, reporters visited the site of the Phra Phuttha Ming Mongkol Eknakiri, also known as the Big Buddha, which measures 25.45 metres in width and stands 45 metres tall. The massive statue, made of reinforced concrete and covered with white jade marble from Myanmar, weighs about 135 tons and covers an area of 2,500 square metres. Situated in the Buddhist Park atop Khao Nakkerd, the temple is a popular tourist destination offering panoramic views of Phuket.

The site is built on a steep cliff, which has been reinforced with green netting and white barriers for safety. The surrounding area has been compacted with soil and topped with stones. While there has been some official inspection of the temple’s parking area, no official statements have been made regarding the disaster that occurred nearby.

Wanitchakul, the foundation's president, explained that construction is ongoing beneath the statue, which had previously been used by monks for prayer and meditation. This area is currently closed for renovations, including the addition of marble. Another structure is also being dismantled, and a medium-sized Buddha statue will be relocated to a different site.

Regarding concerns about the construction permits, Mr. Suphon confirmed that they were properly obtained. The original permits were valid for five years and renewed four times, totaling 20 years. The foundation is now seeking a 30-year permit. The project is being overseen by the Office of National Buddhism, which obtained permission from the Department of Forestry to use the land.

While acknowledging residents’ concerns, Mr. Suphon insisted that the landslide was unlikely to have been caused by the temple's construction. He pointed out that the statue’s structure was designed to endure significant seismic activity. Authorities are currently investigating the cause of the landslide.

Local residents near Khao Nakkerd have expressed their fears, noting multiple signs of landslides in the area. Continuous water flow over rocks has raised concerns about the safety of those living beneath the mountain, especially as rainfall continues intermittently, saturating the ground. Residents are calling for a thorough assessment of the mountain’s safety to prevent future tragedies.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-26

news-footer-3.png

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Just look at the drone photo (not copied here). Clearly the avalanche source was the car park  extension. 

Yes.

Absolutely no doubt.

When was the car park extension built,  does anyone know?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2024 at 6:25 AM, Georgealbert said:

Thank you for that update.

I am seeing lots of reports of incidents this morning, across Phuket, from Thai sources. It is sometimes difficult to identify the locations with both the translation of names and the fact I do not know that part of Thailand.

So it is good to get input from posters who know the area.

The above photo is the center of kata beach village. I lived opposite. So sad, the road is gone and so far I hear 13 dead.

plus all the construction/ villas / condos gone. The kata / karon authorities should ban any further building on the  hillsides. This is the cause of such tragedy! Lives and nature don’t matter any more, only money !!! Sad .

• Agree 1

On 8/25/2024 at 7:03 AM, steven100 said:

The carpark at the Big Buddha may have contributed to this starting as it appears a sinkhole developed and then the soil on the hill side gave away. 

The water may have been running underneath the tree / forest growth and continually washing the soil downhill.

This is likely why the hillside growth failed.  

Sue the carpark developers and contractors.  

But what about all the other huge condos that have been built over the years taking all the trees away.  On kata Hill, also the road above the Boathouse leading to N’ai Harn,  also Kok Tanode ( behind my house it was jungle all along!) and then Patak rd and Patak rd 2. All sold to wealthy investors who don’t give a fig if it all collapses. I’m surprised Kamala is still standing . The whole range of mountains are concerned. The authorities need locking up. 

• Agree 2

On 8/23/2024 at 9:04 PM, Peterphuket said:

I am not surprised, saw this coming years ago.
You cannot cut down unlimited trees on mountains and hills, then this is the logical consequence, but yes Logical and Thai....

Understood, however, the soil where this occurred has a history of instability. Many years ago I was mountain biking in Kata-Karon area and  learnt the hard way just how unstable the soil is when  the path where we were standing, not biking, just gave way. It's a red soil that doesn't hold water well. I was told that there is a high concentration of clay that makes it unstable and its acidic nature is not conducive to many tree species.   If we go back in Thai Visa forum, I can remember  the threads warning of the dangers of building  homes in the hills of Patong for this same reason. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Understood, however, the soil where this occurred has a history of instability. Many years ago I was mountain biking in Kata-Karon area and  learnt the hard way just how unstable the soil is when  the path where we were standing, not biking, just gave way. It's a red soil that doesn't hold water well. I was told that there is a high concentration of clay that makes it unstable and its acidic nature is not conducive to many tree species.   If we go back in Thai Visa forum, I can remember  the threads warning of the dangers of building  homes in the hills of Patong for this same reason. 

There were warnings over 20 years ago from the locals. In 84 Kata was one main road with jungle  on one side and beach on the other. A little paradise - lost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Phuket's Iconic "Big Buddha" Landmark Faces Calls For Demolition after Deadly Landslide

In the wake of a tragic landslide that claimed 13 lives, Thailand’s Department of Forestry is considering the demolition of the famous "Big Buddha" on Nakkerd Hill, Phuket. The department cited that the landmark was constructed without proper environmental impact assessments (EIA) and lacked authorisation. The site, located in a national forest reserve, has been flagged for concerns due to its steep slope and proximity to a watershed.

The landslide, which occurred on August 23, buried homes at the foot of Nakkerd Hill, leading to calls for stricter enforcement of construction laws in protected areas. Aerial footage from a helicopter on the day before the disaster shows the towering 45-metre statue overlooking the island. Known as a major tourist attraction, the Big Buddha stands on one of Phuket’s highest peaks, offering panoramic views of the island.

The question now arises: How was this 45-metre statue, well known to tourists as a must-see attraction, allowed to be built on such precarious terrain in a national forest reserve? The site had been previously ordered to halt construction in 2022 due to the absence of an EIA.

According to the Forestry Department, construction of the Big Buddha began as early as 2005 when only 15 rai of land was allocated to a local temple under a forest rehabilitation project. By 2023, however, the site expanded well beyond its authorized limits, and the Big Buddha became a key feature in promoting Phuket's tourism.

Sompong Nuchananont, the head of the Krabi Forest Resources Office, said the department had already ordered a halt to the construction in 2022, citing the risky location on a 35% slope above a watershed area. The department is now preparing to conduct a thorough investigation of the entire area, including other unauthorised constructions around the hill.

Phuket officials have expressed concern that more landslides could occur if construction in the area continues. The Royal Thai Police have been called in to assist in the investigation, and demolition orders may be issued pending the results.

The controversy has raised deeper concerns over land use regulations and enforcement in protected areas. Environmental experts have highlighted the island's vulnerability to landslides, noting that the entire island of Phuket is under environmental protection laws prohibiting construction on slopes exceeding 35%.

As investigations continue, the future of Phuket’s iconic Big Buddha hangs in the balance, with officials weighing the costs of public safety against preserving one of the island's most famous landmarks.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-27

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

Army Investigates Big Buddha Construction for Blocking Natural Waterways

The Fourth Army Region's task force on state land encroachment has raised concerns about the construction of the Big Buddha on Nakkerd Hill in Phuket, following a deadly landslide. The task force, led by Colonel Dusit Kaesornkaew, found that the construction had obstructed natural water channels, which played a key role in the recent landslide that claimed lives and damaged property.

The Big Buddha site, located 375 metres above sea level on Nakkerd Hill, has been under construction since 2005. Aerial photographs show significant land alteration to accommodate the monument and a large open area, but the work failed to incorporate proper water diversion techniques. Natural waterways typically exist on mountainous terrains, but during the construction, these channels were blocked, leaving water no path to flow naturally.

During heavy rainfall, the water sought a new path down the hill, triggering a massive landslide on a slope with an 80-degree incline. The landslide area was covered by only a thin layer of soil and vegetation, making it highly vulnerable to collapse. Satellite imagery from February 2024 confirmed movement in the soil and rock layers months before the disaster.

Brigadier General Anusorn Ourai, Deputy Commander of the Fourth Army Region, emphasised that this environmental destruction stems from unregulated construction on steep slopes, a recurring issue in the region. He stated that the task force is working to address such encroachments, particularly in areas like Samui, where similar issues have arisen. However, the tragedy in Phuket occurred before preventive measures could be implemented.

The Fourth Army Region is now convening with relevant authorities to inspect other high-risk areas across the region to prevent further disasters. Legal action against those responsible for the encroachment and environmental damage will be pursued.

Brigadier General Anusorn warned that Phuket and Samui share geographical characteristics, including steep slopes and rocky hills, which are increasingly being developed for villas and other structures. Many of these developments were either unauthorized or built in violation of safety standards, leading to significant natural changes. The Phuket incident highlights the severe consequences of encroachment on natural resources, including loss of life, damage to property, and harm to Thailand’s tourism image.