Thailand, occupied or not?

Confuscious

Many people will say that Thailand was never occupied.
But, the history books (history books that are banned from Thailand) tells an other story.
Admitted, Thailand as whole country might be never been occupied.
But parts of Thailand, and the capital Ayutthaya have been occupied.
The South (Pattani) was ruled by the Muslim
And "Isan" used to be a part of Laos and Cambodia before being adhered to Thailand.
What's your idea about this?
https://www.academia.edu/69988653/Contemporary_Conflicts_in_Southeast_Asia

16114462_1403385973026655_3786710771829329148_n_1403385973026655.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, loong said:

Although Thailand allied with Japan and declared war on Britain and USA, it seems to me that Thailand was occupied by the Japanese in WW2.

Yessir, many years ago I was assigned to NKP in Northern Thailand - I had many Thai friends, many who had older relatives that were around during the Japanese occupation of that area.  They even had loads of pictures of themselves as younger with the Japanese soldiers.  Go to the museums in Kanchanaburi - you will see much from that period including the Japanese occupiers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Many people will say that Thailand was never occupied.
But, the history books (history books that are banned from Thailand) tells an other story.
Admitted, Thailand as whole country might be never been occupied.
But parts of Thailand, and the capital Ayutthaya have been occupied.
The South (Pattani) was ruled by the Muslim
And "Isan" used to be a part of Laos and Cambodia before being adhered to Thailand.
What's your idea about this?
https://www.academia.edu/69988653/Contemporary_Conflicts_in_Southeast_Asia

16114462_1403385973026655_3786710771829329148_n_1403385973026655.jpg

Leave it as it is. 

• Like 1

In sum, Thai 'history' books are full of b/s, humbug & hypocrisy.

Much as 'Western' history books used to be - and still partly are - full of humbug & hypocrisy relating to European colonization of the Americas and Africa ...

Thailand was not occupied by Japan in WWII. They were Japan's ally.

Thailand occupied and was set to absorb, the Shan States section of Burma, today's Myanmar. They also occupied and were again set to absorb the western part of Cambodia, into Thailand. These territorial gains were the rewards of being Japan's ally in the war.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

The USA took it so seriously that they ....................... ignored it,lol.

Declaration of war was never delivered, so was never at war with the USA,

USA definitely didn't ignore JP's occupation of TH.  Bombed the hell out of a few locations in TH,  a few times, and worked with The "Free Thai Movement", essential in supplying info,  to speed independence along.

Living in PKK, hard to ignore TH's WW II history.   Same as when living in Philly, USA, impossible to ignore USA's history.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

In sum, Thai 'history' books are full of b/s, humbug & hypocrisy.

Much as 'Western' history books used to be - and still partly are - full of humbug & hypocrisy relating to European colonization of the Americas and Africa ...

As I have heard it said "History of wars is written by the winners, not the losers".

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Thailand was not occupied by Japan in WWII. They were Japan's ally.

Thailand occupied and was set to absorb, the Shan States section of Burma, today's Myanmar. They also occupied and were again set to absorb the western part of Cambodia, into Thailand. These territorial gains were the rewards of being Japan's ally in the war.  

Yes, they won that one, gained territory.

The Thais have fought when necessary, lied when necessary and aligned with various countries at various times when it has suited them. A bit like their politics today.

As a small nation they have a lot to be proud of. 

beautiful women also.

3 hours ago, loong said:

Although Thailand allied with Japan and declared war on Britain and USA, it seems to me that Thailand was occupied by the Japanese in WW2.

Just a historical point on this. Thailand, occupied by Japan declared war on Britain. The war declaration on the USA was not delivered. This explains why, after Japans defeat, Thailand was deemed an enemy combatant by Britain but the USA favored a different treatment. That and that the Free Thai fought along side the allies against Japanese interests. If I am not mistaken ... I would also note that Thailand has claimed not to have been colonized as the rest of SE Asian countries had, not that Thailand had never been occupied.

Edited by Wrwest
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Your history does not go back far enough:

image.png

A valid reminder historically of being mindful of the time period being addressed. I do recall a period where Burma would be a good portion of Siam.

30 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Just a historical point on this. Thailand, occupied by Japan declared war on Britain. The war declaration on the USA was not delivered. 

The declaration of war to both UK and USA was perfectly fine delivered, however neither took it serious.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I think you're confused if you mean that part of the Kingdom of Siam was occupied by the Kingdom of Patani. Maybe just poor language structure.

By your own historical account, the peaceful and indigenous  Muslim Kingdom of Patani co-existed as a separate and recognized sovereignty during the existence of the Kingdom of Siam until Siam broke its peace treaty with Patani to invade and forcibly occupy Patani, henceforth termed "the South." Why just tax a country when you can own it? 

Even then the Patani States largely accepted being part of Siam as they were left in peace, it was the policy of forced Thaification, instigated by Marshall Plaek Phibunsongkhram in 1934, that started the trouble 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Thailand has been occupied, but not colonised, which is why you don't find many Thais who can speak a language other than their own. 

Many Thai in isaan knows Lao or/and Cambodian

Many Thai in the north knows Burmese.

And many Thai at the Southern border knows Malay.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Many Thai in isaan knows Lao or/and Cambodian

Many Thai in the north knows Burmese.

And many Thai at the Southern border knows Malay.

And also speak their own dialect of it...

9 hours ago, loong said:

It was occupied by Indian troops of the British Empire following the Japanese surrender.

• Thumbs Up 1