Motorcycle Accident in Pattaya, Young Man Fatally Run Over by Water Truck

Georgealbert

IMG_4896.jpeg

Picture from responders.

Pol. Lt. Col. Phitak Noensaeng, an investigator at Pattaya City Police Station in Chonburi Province, received a report of a fatal accident at 20.00 on August 27, involving a motorcycle and a truck in Soi Phothisan, Naklua Subdistrict, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi. Rescue teams from Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Foundation were immediately dispatched to the scene.

Upon arrival, authorities discovered a blue Honda Wave 125 motorcycle, license plate Chonburi, overturned on the road. Nearby lay the body of a 22-year-old man, in a pool of blood. He had tragically died after being run over by a water truck, resulting in severe head injuries. Rescue workers covered his body with a white sheet.

Approximately 100 metres away from the scene, officers found the white Isuzu water truck, Chonburi, parked and abandoned. The truck was marked and had the name of the private transportation operator. The driver had fled the scene before authorities arrived.

According to Ms. Duangduen, 48, an eyewitness, the victim had attempted to overtake her motorcycle by passing on the left side, intending to overtake the water truck. Unfortunately, he lost control of his motorcycle, causing it to skid. The rear wheel of the water truck then ran over his head, resulting in instant death. The horrific accident shocked those who witnessed it, prompting them to quickly notify the authorities.

Pol. Lt. Col. Phitak Noensaeng documented the scene and reviewed nearby CCTV footage, which partially captured the incident. The body of the deceased was transported to Bang Lamung Hospital by rescue workers. 

Authorities are now working to locate and apprehend the truck driver to face legal proceedings.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-28

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

Drivers fleeing accidents they caused or knowing they were at fault seems to be the norm here in Thailand. This is what happens when there is so much corruption in the police force as well as many other factors like no prison time when there are injuries or death or driving illegally. Also, if there is not a report made by victims then there is no punishment either. Why don't the police actually patrol and issue citations for bad driving? (it was rhetorical) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This case does not read like the truck driver did much wrong except being too slow for one of the young bike racers always being in a hurry.

then why did the truck driver flee?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Normal practice in Thailand.

The idea is that it gives the truck driver and/or his family time to discuss blame/compensation with the victim's family before involving police.

The numbers are larger once the police are involved.

In this case, the driver knows that he can be traced.

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The truck was marked and had the name of the private transportation operator

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Why don't the police actually patrol and issue citations for bad driving? (it was rhetorical) 

I've been asking this question for 20 years.  Pattaya police could cut the number of daily road deaths by 50% within a week if only they did some work.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

Another one:

if you drive over a child near it's house you have to fear lynch mobbing.

Some psychotic people can go after you with a machete for hitting the bumper.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

I've long suspected that it says in the Thai Driver's manual:

If you get into accident, RUN!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Drivers fleeing accidents they caused or knowing they were at fault seems to be the norm here in Thailand. This is what happens when there is so much corruption in the police force as well as many other factors like no prison time when there are injuries or death or driving illegally. Also, if there is not a report made by victims then there is no punishment either. Why don't the police actually patrol and issue citations for bad driving? (it was rhetorical) 

Did you even bother to read the news before posting?

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This case does not read like the truck driver did much wrong except being too slow for one of the young bike racers always being in a hurry.

well he did pull a runner after the accident

• Thanks 1

I know the area well. Photisan is rather narrow with double lines as you can see in the pic. Cars are parked either side which makes it almost impossible not to drive with some part over the double lines. Of course the speed of lunatics on motor bikes is a another major factor. I've given up walking along Soi Photisan to go to the market. I now prefer walking along Naklua Soi 27 and go to the market the back way. Both ways are 20 minutes from where I live. So now prefer the safest way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I've been asking this question for 20 years.  Pattaya police could cut the number of daily road deaths by 50% within a week if only they did some work.

"...if only they did some work".

If only they had the resources.   If you had to provide your own vehicle in many cases, and fuel, in order to fully patrol effectively, would you do it?

• Agree 1

Another senseless, life is lost.  Possible far off family will need to deal with the challenges of someone close passing unexpectedly.

As I have said before, Survivability should be at the Top of your List.  If you ride a motorbike it doesn't matter if your right/wrong, if the other person is doing something dangerous or illegal.  If an accident is Avoidable you take whatever movements necessary to Stay Safe.

Some of us are not working, and can drive cautious and arrive a couple minutes later.  It's like the people you see who race to be First to the Red Light.

Hope we can all learn and be reminded about the effort involved to stay safe riding a motorbike

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If only they had the resources.   If you had to provide your own vehicle in many cases, and fuel, in order to fully patrol effectively, would you do it?

+1 a valid perspective which highlights one of the reasons for the  apathy or the Police Force here.

Another one... If we had to get out of our air-conditioned police box into the humid heat to fine the numerous (often 50%) of riders without a helmet, would we do it ???...

....  I've never understood why they don't as it could be quite a money maker. 

I was at the lights on an intersection entering Sukhumvit Rd in Bangkok the other day about 20 motorcyclists waiting at the lights, perhaps 7 or 8 of them without helmets...  

... on the Sub-Soi's its less than 50% wearing helmets I reckon.

... on my Sub-Soi its about 25% wearing helmets !!!... (I reckon).

And thus: the link to this thread - Would a decent helmet have made a difference ?

Would my Bell Bullit or Shoei Neotec II be able to withstand a water truck rolling over my head ?

Debatable and the forces wold probably break my neck anyway....  But, instead of crushing, would the helmet be nudged out of the way.

An awful lot of variables at play I suspect - but at least variables which are far better than wearing not wearing a helmet)... 

....  but then, the best variable is not riding in such a manner that places ourselves directly in such a line of fire... difficult, but riding very defensively makes a big differences, obviously. 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

+1 a valid perspective which highlights one of the reasons for the  apathy or the Police Force here.

Another one... If we had to get out of our air-conditioned police box into the humid heat to fine the numerous (often 50%) of riders without a helmet, would we do it ???...

....  I've never understood why they don't as it could be quite a money maker. 

I was at the lights on an intersection entering Sukhumvit Rd in Bangkok the other day about 20 motorcyclists waiting at the lights, perhaps 7 or 8 of them without helmets...  

... on the Sub-Soi's its less than 50% wearing helmets I reckon.

... on my Sub-Soi its about 25% wearing helmets !!!... (I reckon).

And thus: the link to this thread - Would a decent helmet have made a difference ?

Would my Bell Bullit or Shoei Neotec II be able to withstand a water truck rolling over my head ?

Debatable and the forces wold probably break my neck anyway....  But, instead of crushing, would the helmet be nudged out of the way.

An awful lot of variables at play I suspect - but at least variables which are far better than wearing not wearing a helmet)... 

....  but then, the best variable is not riding in such a manner that places ourselves directly in such a line of fire... difficult, but riding very defensively makes a big differences, obviously. 

Would a decent helmet have made a difference ?

probably just contain the mess ,,,slightly

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There's never a lack of resources when a Big-wig comes to town or there's a photo-op/junket.

On 8/28/2024 at 8:18 AM, jacko45k said:

And time to  get sober?

Quite the opposite.

Run away to mom's house, continue drinking.  When the police arrive, claim you were in shock and were only drinking AFTER the accident.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mikebell said:

There's never a lack of resources when a Big-wig comes to town or there's a photo-op/junket.

I recvall driving down to Hua Hin from Bangkok many years ago and I was astounded by the number of policeman standing by the side of the road - it was literally in the hundreds. Wife explained that the King or Queen was driving down to their winter Palace, so they will block all other traffic when they arrive. It was unbelievable - every single side road had a policeman and every intersection had at least 2.  I never knew there was that many police in Thailand as I hardly ever saw one before that day - and very few afterwards too. Where do they all go??  

Years ago, during a big red or yellowshirt protest, I went to Ayutthaya with some friends.  I was surprised to see that all of the traffic lights had been turned off!  It seems that all of the local police had been summoned to Bangkok to help deal with the protest.