Life Sentence for Spaniard in Koh Pha-ngan Murder Case

webfact

35 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

So the Spanish guy objected to a sexual assault by the victim and he fell, hitting his head on the bathtub.

They were in the bathroom together? Or in the bath together?

Conundrum!

Still, no point getting lathered up about it - back to my coffee.

It was a very weak defence, the Spaniard had been in relations with the South American doctor for a while. He arrived at the island before the doctor and set about his plan to commit pre mediated murder.

If he was concerned about sexual advances, he could have just not gone to Koh Samui and stayed in Spain, I don't believe a word regarding his poor defence of murder.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

You forgot to include monetary donations can be applied for reduced sentence. 

Actually, I think that has to be agreed between the parties before a judge, and he must be satisfied regards compensation, before initial sentencing.

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I wish you guys who don't know what you are talking about regards Thai prisons would stop the innuendo about male rape, it doesn't happen, there are too many in there happy to sell themselves.

Thank you for your comment, however I was referring to how often Daddy "as in biological Father" would travel to Thailand to visit his son during his life sentence.

I did not make any comment about male rape... that was a reply attached to my post which i cannot control.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, marin said:

Yeah the king is going to pardon a farang murderer.

You pay before the sentence is given. He is toast...

They are not pardons, they are Amnesties that are given and prisoners get reductions based on the crimes they have committed.

They do give amnesties for murders and the smallest amnesties and viewed worse than murder, are drugs cases.

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thank you for your comment, however I was referring to how often Daddy "as in biological Father" would travel to Thailand to visit his son during his life sentence.

I did not make any comment about male rape... that was a reply attached to my post which i cannot control.

Ah OK,

Sorry about that then.

13 hours ago, crazykopite said:

As far as I am aware very few people who have committed a serious crime such as murder serve the rest of their lives in prison if he’s lucky it will be no longer than 10 years he might even end up being transferred to a prison in his homeland . I also know of an individual who spent 5 + years in the Samui prison so he might well spend his sentence there ,wherever it is life in a Thai prison will be intolerable !

I don't believe they allow Life sentence prisoners to remain on the island, as the prison category isn't high enough for life sentence prisoners. The prisons that can accommodate Life sentences are Bang Kwang, Klong Prem, etc

He will be moved.

The Embassies like it when they are moved to Bangkok as less travelling for the Consuls etc, with most Embassy headquarters based in Bangkok.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

I say he'll be out in 3 months ..... probably cost daddy a couple of mil.   TIT, show me the color of your money .... :drunk:

Absolute nonsense. If you are in custody and then sentenced that is it, you're done. Sorry if that spoils your fantasy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Absolute nonsense. If you are in custody and then sentenced that is it, you're done. Sorry if that spoils your fantasy.

sorry,   in Thailand it's who you know not what you know.  If you have money, you can get anything  !

....   he can become sick and get transferred on severe medical condition, sent back to Spain prison ... then out ...   it's a theatrical process that Thaksin and many others have performed in. 

TIT ... money talks, commoners walk .... 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If he's guilty, before carrying out the murder he should have thought: "I'm going to have to spend 20 x 365 days (7,300 days) in a hellish Thai prison. Can I manage that?" One day is bad enough.

23 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

If he's guilty, before carrying out the murder he should have thought: "I'm going to have to spend 20 x 365 days (7,300 days) in a hellish Thai prison. Can I manage that?" One day is bad enough.

will there be turkey on thanksgiving    ...

Police General Sahakarn Petchnarin, Director-General of the Department of Corrections is pleased to announce Spanish language classes will soon be available to inmates at Klong Prem Central Prison.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, maesariang said:

Life sentence is how long normally?

Farang tend to serve 8 years of a life sentence in a Thai prison before being transferred to a prison in their home country. (Source: "The Last Executioner").

A country of almost the same population, Thailand has 3 times the prison population that the UK has. I believe that this is disproportionately made up of people convicted on illicit drugs-related charges.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Confused 1

Just now, off road pat said:

They're probably going to make a deal with the Spanish government that Daniel Sancho Bronchalo can spend his sentence in Spain,....!!

He would then be resentenced under Spanish sentencing guidelines. 

This doesn't happen in the UK, where the Thai sentence is carried over, so it is why Brits with 50 and 100 year drug sentences don't apply for transfer, but wait a decade or so for pardons. 

7 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Looks like the silver spoon failed in this case. The best he can hope for is a diplomatic deal behind closed doors, were maybe he can serve his time in a Spanish prison.

He pleaded guilty as the evidence was overwhelming.

After a guilty plea like this, there can be no appeal.

24 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

50 years but subject to reduction under Royal Pardons.

No, in some cases they give 300 plus years, these are like malfeasance in office etc and are symbolic sentences, but Thai people, given life sentences, do not serve longer than 25 years maximum.

15 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

He would then be resentenced under Spanish sentencing guidelines. 

This doesn't happen in the UK, where the Thai sentence is carried over, so it is why Brits with 50 and 100 year drug sentences don't apply for transfer, but wait a decade or so for pardons. 

A few reasons.

Thai prisons are not as bad as they make out in the books, these books are written for sensationalism and profit. Some just do not want to return to the UK, where they have nothing anyway.

In Thailand, from early morning until late afternoon, prisoners are outside in the sunshine and fresh air.

In the UK, where if a life sentence prisoner seeks repatriation to the UK, his prison will be a Category B prison at least. He also won't be spending time outside,

Those Cat B prisoners are subject to harsh conditions in the UK.

You are not outside in the sunshine in the UK, unless on gardening duty in a low security prison, which these guys would not be.

If they await a King's pardon, and get it, it doesn't go on their UK criminal record. If they transfer, it goes on their record that they have spent time in a UK prison.

Lastly, @JeffersLos a life sentence prisoner must serve at least eight years in the Thai prison before being eligible to transfer.

Then, under UK law, and the treaty with Thailand, he must serve half of the balance left to serve in a UK prison. So, if on transfer, he has 20 years left, he must serve 10, before being released on licence.

However, he is still fully entitled to Amnesties given by the Thai government, even though he is in the UK.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, off road pat said:

They're probably going to make a deal with the Spanish government that Daniel Sancho Bronchalo can spend his sentence in Spain,....!!

That will not happen.