How to properly dispose of liquid waste like vegetable oil in a high-rise condominium?

I live here long enough, but normally my gf takes care of these things.

But now I think what the proper way is to do this. Pouring it down the drain is not a good idea, for many reasons.

What is a good way to do it? Put the old oil in a plastic bottle and then put the plastic bottle in the recycle bin?

Or soak paper kitchen towels with oil if it's not too much?

What do you do?

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is a good way to do it? Put the old oil in a plastic bottle and then put the plastic bottle in the recycle bin?

glass jar might be better.

then throw it in garbage bin, not recycle bin. that's what I do. 

why do you have so much leftover oil? deep frying french fries?

you can normally just use paper towels to wipe the pan and throw the paper towels in the garbage. 

not the drain unless you like paying plumbers. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

What difference does it make if you are in a condo or a house? 

I don't know.

But in general, there are differences with waste in a house or condo, this is why I mentioned it.

8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Actually, it is not "so much".

Sometimes my gf fries food. Then she/we could dispose of that oil that one time or she puts it in a metal container and then we can dispose it after a while when it is more (in a bottle).

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

If the oil is particularly rancid and old, you can give it to the street fried food sellers....

This is true, they used to buy the ready to be chucked oil from a restaurant I used to go to and continue to use it, dirty buggers.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, save the frogs said:

glass jar might be better.

then throw it in garbage bin, not recycle bin. that's what I do. 

you can normally just use paper towels to wipe the pan and throw the paper towels in the garbage. 

not the drain unless you like paying plumbers. 

error #1    use of Vegetable oil

#2     ever see how much oil people use to fry a thai omelet or khai dao   "inches deep"

bottle or a suitable closable container and then bagged before going in the trash

20 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

error #1    use of Vegetable oil

#2     ever see how much oil people use to fry a thai omelet or khai dao   "inches deep"

bottle or a suitable closable container and then bagged before going in the trash

yeah, I don't recommend vegetable oil. 

but that's a health topic.

and it's been debated before.

and some people will likely come up with "reputable sources" to back up their claims that vegetable oil is healthy. 

if you think it's bad for you, then all restaurant meals are cheat meals because that's all they use. 

it's much cheaper than butter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:08 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

But now I think what the proper way is to do this. Pouring it down the drain is not a good idea, for many reasons.

What do you do?

give it to a street food vendor, the can use it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than you, till it's black

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

and some people will likely come up with "reputable sources" to back up their claims that vegetable oil is healthy. 

if you think it's bad for you, then all restaurant meals are cheat meals because that's all they use. 

Extra virgin olive oil is best, if you can find a genuine one!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

So what oil DO you recommend for cooking in please?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Coconut oil, It's got a high frying temp, so good for deep-frying, can buy it everywhere even 7/11s sell it, slightly dearer than seed oils by about B20

No, it does not taste or smell of coconuts..

My waste goes back in the plastic it came in, and goes in the rubbish bag well wrapped up in other garbage

The cleaners in my condo collect bottles and cans, they would make money I think if they had a collection point for used oil to sell

36 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Coconut oil, It's got a high frying temp, so good for deep-frying, can buy it everywhere even 7/11s sell it, slightly dearer than seed oils by about B20

No, it does not taste or smell of coconuts..

My waste goes back in the plastic it came in, and goes in the rubbish bag well wrapped up in other garbage

The cleaners in my condo collect bottles and cans, they would make money I think if they had a collection point for used oil to sell

Is a coconut not of vegetable derevation?

So what do the ones your cleaners sell the oil to, do with it then?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is a coconut not of vegetable derevation?

So what do the ones your cleaners sell the oil to, do with it then?

"Unlike vegetable oil, which contains trans-fat, coconut oil is made of medium-chain saturated fatty acids. Saturated fat is easily digestible, and when ingested, it gets transported to the liver, where it serves as a source of energy for the body"

https://jacksonschips.com/blogs/blog/how-to-use-coconut-oil-instead-of-vegetable-oil

As to 2nd question, not a clue, but I heard it can be sold to collectors, who sell it on, not something you would find on Google

11 minutes ago, Seppius said:

"Unlike vegetable oil, which contains trans-fat, coconut oil is made of medium-chain saturated fatty acids. Saturated fat is easily digestible, and when ingested, it gets transported to the liver, where it serves as a source of energy for the body"

https://jacksonschips.com/blogs/blog/how-to-use-coconut-oil-instead-of-vegetable-oil

As to 2nd question, not a clue, but I heard it can be sold to collectors, who sell it on, not something you would find on Google

Looked at the link. Ha ha.

Says it is usually supplied in solid form....not here it ain't.

Add a teaspoon of vanilla to mask the flavour of the coconut oil....yuk, vanilla flavoured Pak Kapow!

And mix it 1:1 with vegetable oil until you get used to the flavour. Next paragraph title...Can you mix coconut and vegetable oils.

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

extra virgin olive oil burns too easily when used for frying.

for cooking, coconut oil, butter, ghee, or cook a few strips of bacon and use the rendered bacon fat.

vegetable oils are much cheaper, that's why restaurants will always use them. 

the problem is who do you trust?

there are many sources out there that will tell you that vegetable oils are healthy.

and they've been telling us that saturated fats clog the arteries.

so there's no reason for you to take my word for it. you would need to spend time researching both sides yourself, which is hard work.

and then ... do you mistrust the medical establishment and admit they're lying to you?

you may need to re-watch the matrix and make sure you don't lose your mind. 

Timeline: How 'The Matrix' Was Made

but if you use simple logic: chronic diseases have been going up in the past decades, not down. and use of vegetable oils have been going up. 

keep in mind all processed foods contain those vegetable oils - cookies, crackers, chips ...

and in fact, these oils might be the single worst ingredient in our diets.

another fun fact: people in france eat high amounts of saturated fat, and are healthier than americans. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:08 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you do?

I give it to the street vendors. They know what to do.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Add a teaspoon of vanilla to mask the flavour of the coconut oil....

they sell "deodorized" coconut oil to mask the flavor.

not easy to find though. would need to shop on iherb and may be expensive.

technically, coconut is a fruit, not a vegetable. but the science behind why it's not unhealthy like vegetable oils is complex. 

we can get into it if you're up for it. i need to keep my mind sharp, so i dont mind delving into the science.

Just now, save the frogs said:

another fun fact: people in france eat high amounts of saturated fat, and are healthier than americans.

Do you think that is the only difference between French and Americans? I am sure there are many more differences.

It seems to me there are an unlimited number of studies with any conclusion anybody wants. Is wine good or bad? White or red? How much? Beer? Meet? Milk? ...

And how much are the physiological effects responsible?

Some people worry all the time that they should eat all healthy and they worry that maybe this or that is not good. Others just eat and drink and don't think about it too much.