Phuket taxi driver tussle turns streets into a brawl zone (video)

webfact

Foreign Tourists and Taxi Drivers Charged after Brawl near Phuket Shopping Mall- VIDEO
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Five foreign tourists and three taxi drivers faced charges after a video of them fighting went viral on social media. The altercation occurred in front of a shopping mall near the Darasamut Intersection in Wichit, Mueang Phuket on Wednesday night (August 28th).

Wichit Police Chief Colonel Chatree Chookaew ordered an investigation into the incident following the video going viral online. The foreign tourists and taxi drivers were then summoned to the Wichit Police Station.

According to a taxi driver’s account, the conflict began when a group of foreign tourists waiting for a taxi had one individual lean against the taxi. The taxi owner asked the tourist not to do so, but the tourist became upset and refused, leading to an argument and physical altercation. During the fight, one of the tourists threw a bottle at the taxi driver.

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-08-31

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

"The altercation began when the 'tourists' leaned against the parked taxi while waiting for a ride back to their hotel and the taxi driver then 'asked' them to move"

.... Taxi driver asked them to move ?? - that one's been polished a bit !!...   I very much doubt the taxi drive was a measure of polite respectfulness....    

... That said, leaning on anyone's vehicle is a no-no...   I'm sure such arrogant behaviour of the tourists enraged the taxi driver... and drivers in that area are known for their hair-trigger.... 

So.. my only surprise here - Thai taxi drivers in an altercation were they were out numbered. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The big fella in the black wife beater is so very brave to throw a bottle and then step away.

And for a change the locals are outnumbered.

I wonder if alcohol was involved?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Iranians a bit tipsy? naughty Muslims, the Ayatollah would not be happy 

Omar Khayyam 1048 - 1131 was a Persian  Poet

He wrote about the date wine that was produced there, it was described as the nectar of gods

It's a shame what later history brought to Iran

Edited by Grumpy one

3 hours ago, webfact said:

What started as a squabble quickly spiralled into a full-blown fight,

I suspect there is always an uneasy tension between the locals and the tourists that occasionally boils up in incidents like this.  There are way too many tourists for me in Phuket, can imagine how locals sometimes might feel. :jap:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nutosf said:

Who will protect Thais from tourists? Tourists bad actors seem mostly from China, Russia and Middle East. 

Those from the society without much daily freedom seem to be more aggressive and rude when they are in Thailand.

And target the local as the outlet.

That is why they often reach flash point very easily.

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I suspect there is always an uneasy tension between the locals and the tourists that occasionally boils up in incidents like this.  There are way too many tourists for me in Phuket, can imagine how locals sometimes might feel. :jap:

It always involves taxis or tuk-tuks. What a surprise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who believes this started and argument, "According to a taxi driver’s account, the conflict began when a group of foreign tourists waiting for a taxi had one individual lean against the taxi," I suggest the taxi driver said a lot more... or touched the woman.... but, I only guessing.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

"The altercation began when the 'tourists' leaned against the parked taxi while waiting for a ride back to their hotel and the taxi driver then 'asked' them to move"

.... Taxi driver asked them to move ?? - that one's been polished a bit !!...   I very much doubt the taxi drive was a measure of polite respectfulness....    

... That said, leaning on anyone's vehicle is a no-no...   I'm sure such arrogant behaviour of the tourists enraged the taxi driver... and drivers in that area are known for their hair-trigger.... 

So.. my only surprise here - Thai taxi drivers in an altercation were they were out numbered. 

we see the taxi drivers leaning on taxis, not onlty their own, every day

5 hours ago, khunpin said:

I assume that most of the three Iranian women have Iranian husbands. 🤷🏼‍♂️

How the holy hell could those serious, truly believing Islamic men get "tipsy" if their religion not allows the consumption of alcohol? 

Fake Islamic scum, criminal Chinese ... Thailand needs more of that Elite. 🤦🏼‍♂️

What makes you think they are Muslim just because they are Irani?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

IMG_2482-1.webp

The streets of Phuket resembled more like a battle scene than a picturesque holiday resort after a furious brawl broke out between local taxi drivers and foreign tourists, raising fresh concerns about visitor safety. What started as a squabble quickly spiralled into a full-blown fight, drawing a large crowd of shocked onlookers.

Wichit Police stepped in today, August 30, after a chaotic street brawl between five foreign tourists and three local taxi drivers turned viral. The scrap, which broke out on Wichit Songkram Road by the Darasamut Intersection, was captured in a 26-second video buzzing on social media. The caption said, “It’s famous again #Phuket is very hot, taxis vs tourists in front of a famous shopping mall!”

The video shows a wild scene where punches and bottles fly as tensions flare. According to reports, the fight kicked off when three Iranian women stood in front of a taxi. The driver asked them to move, which set off a chain reaction of irritation. The women’s husbands, reportedly tipsy, joined the fray, and things quickly got out of hand.

The brawl saw the drunk tourists make a swift exit, leaving a smaller group behind who then called the police. The footage also showed a woman’s necklace being snatched in the melee.

Online, the incident sparked a firestorm of comments, with users divided. Some slammed the rowdy tourists, while others called for tougher action against such behaviour.

“Don’t blame only Thais. There are a lot of bad tourists in Patong.”

“Good people have a hard time, there are only scumbags and thugs. Officers shouldn’t make the law weak.”

In response, Wichit Police Chief Pol Col Chatree Chueakaew sent officers to sort out the mess. The tourists and drivers were hauled into Wichit Police Station for questioning.

The cops found that the row began when the tourists were leaning against a parked taxi while waiting for a ride to their Patong hotel. When the driver asked them to move, it sparked a heated argument that soon turned violent.

After reviewing CCTV footage, the police found both sides equally responsible for the ruckus. They’ve been charged with, “colluding in a loud fight in a public place or public area, or engaging in behaviour that disturbs public peace and order.” Despite the charges, everyone agreed to move on without grudges and went their separate ways, reported Phuket News.

IMG_2480-1.webp
Picture courtesy of Phuket News

Photo of Bob Scott

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-31

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

A warning to the Thais. If you keep indulging this demographic with their entitled attitude, in not too many years time you'll find Thailand in the same situation as many western countries. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

“Don’t blame only Thais. There are a lot of bad tourists in Patong.”

But you thais, or the government, did ivite them with cheap longtime visas, suit yourself.

• Like 1