The Death penalty your opinion

Some islamic cultures give the family of a murdered victim the right to commute a death sentence upon payment of an amount satisfactory to them (amount unspecified).

If the USA ever began to implement the death penalty for acts regarded as treasonous, imagine the thousands of residents in D.C. who would be affected. 

• Haha 1

Unfortunately, there are too many examples where innocent people have been executed. Perhaps the leading example is Timothy Evans in the UK. The real murderer, Christie, was the leading witness in Evans's trial.

I agree with the death penalty only if the evidence is overwhelming and incontrovertible, with a unanimous jury verdict.

Proponents for the death penalty should read John Grisham's only non-fiction book, " An Innocent Man".

Officers of the law who perpetrated that injustice with fabricated confessions had their careers left unscathed.

• Like 1

I love the idea of the death penalty. I think there are circumstances where the crime, or crimes were so horrific, no trial should be required, and there should be a mandatory death penalty carried out within 30 days. Just be off with the cretin. An old school panel of three judges, or something to that effect. If there is enough evidence, eye witnesses, or sufficient forensic proof, why should the state, the people, and the families have to be made to suffer?

I truly believe there are lines in life, that when stepped over, create a self revocation of the right to consume oxygen. So, why allow monsters to continue to live?

The prisons are already quite full. Why burden society by having to take care of a worthless inmate? Bring back the death penalty, but do it in such a way that is happens swiftly, and without the possibility of appeal. Assuming there are eye witnesses and positive proof of a heinous crime. The current problem with the death penalty in the US is the appeals process. It needs to be carried out swiftly. And without mercy. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

The USA does not really have a "death penalty"  Unless you consider as in your example a 30 year wait in prison before going to the gallows to truly be a death penalty.  Singapore has a death penalty.  You get one appeal only to see if the trial was conducted properly.  If it was you are executed within about 90 days. 

There are those who say the death penalty is not a deterrent.  I don't think we know.  Certainly the criminal knowing they are just as likely to die in prison from old age as actually being executed is totally different than knowing you will be immediately put the death shortly after being sentenced. 

As to your empathy for the criminal, I too have empathy for human life.  But my empathy lies with the victim(s) not  with the killer 

For all of its supposed shortcomings the death penalty when carried out does have one really great attribute. There are no repeat offenders. 

The average 30 year wait for execution in the US cost the state millions of dollars. That is completely unnecessary. Just get it done. Within 30 days. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

We must forgive and trust him on his rehabilitation back into society 

Let's face it....most countries would of released him after 30 years anyway

All murderers and rapists should be killed on spot.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

I don't support the death penalty because it is a deterrent, I support the death penalty because the person who murders in cold blood doesn't deserve to breath the same air as people that don't murder.  Those that argue that it is more fitting to punish them by keeping them locked up and alive to contemplate what they did, By their actions they have already proved they don't value life and they won't contemplate anything. So why keep them alive. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

We must forgive and trust him on his rehabilitation back into society 

Let's face it....most countries would of released him after 30 years anyway

would HAVE....if no-one tells you, you will always get it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

All murderers and rapists should be killed on spot.

No, do it just before a football match so that others will learn.

And none of this dilly dallying with injections. which apparently cost loads, even though they can put me to sleep in seconds in a hospital.

One bullet in back of the head = done and dusted. And no chance to blunder it.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

The death penalty is not punishment. It's release. The criminal might not like the idea of dying, but once it's over, it's finished and the criminal no longer pays for his crime. He doesn't even know about it.

Instead, let the convicted felons do hard time. Rock piles, shoveling gravel from morning till night. Or civil construction work, stoop labor, chain-gang work.
No TV, no movies, no music. Nothing but three meals a day and hard labor.

That's punishment.

Oh your a absolutely sadist 

How dare you 

Rehabilitation, counselling, re-education,not sadistic punishment 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Unfortunately, there are too many examples where innocent people have been executed. Perhaps the leading example is Timothy Evans in the UK. The real murderer, Christie, was the leading witness in Evans's trial.

I agree with the death penalty only if the evidence is overwhelming and incontrovertible, with a unanimous jury verdict.

Proponents for the death penalty should read John Grisham's only non-fiction book, " An Innocent Man".

Officers of the law who perpetrated that injustice with fabricated confessions had their careers left unscathed.

Yes he was my mother's cousin 

My extended family in the UK 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No, do it just before a football match so that others will learn.

And none of this dilly dallying with injections. which apparently cost loads, even though they can put me to sleep in seconds in a hospital.

One bullet in back of the head = done and dusted. And no chance to blunder it.

So you are living in Saudi Arabia.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Oh your a absolutely sadist 

How dare you 

Rehabilitation, counselling, re-education,not sadistic punishment 

Nope.  Punishment.  For life without parole.
You kill someone, you get punished.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, maesariang said:

The victim is dead. Never gets a 2nd chance. With dna much easier to prove cases now. Was dodgy before. 

Agreed, if your DNA was found upon the victim/at the crime scene it would be more than difficult to prove innocence. There are at least two ways that could be achieved; 1) Planted by police, 2) Tampering with computer records to produce a match. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

The death penalty is not punishment. It's release. The criminal might not like the idea of dying, but once it's over, it's finished and the criminal no longer pays for his crime. He doesn't even know about it.

Instead, let the convicted felons do hard time. Rock piles, shoveling gravel from morning till night. Or civil construction work, stoop labor, chain-gang work.

That's punishment.

Do you really think that any State or Country in the Western world would dare to try and implement that punishment. The Lawyers would leap for joy at the fees they would charge to bring the Justice system to a halt with the appeals to Human rights , constitutional rights and any other right they could think of. A quick injection of lead in the back of the head is a lasting solution.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Even if it is no deterrent, saving huge amounts of money for not taking care of scum for the rest of their lives is a good enough reason to kill them. 

Actually, it's much more expensive to deliver the death penalty than life in prison.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs/summary-of-states-death-penalty

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

That's punishment.

Folk I bet you are or were a hard task master to work under ! Breaking rocks , chains..... Christ ! 

Just now, Jim1000 said:

Folk I bet you are or were a hard task master to work under ! Breaking rocks , chains..... Christ ! 

Nope. In fact, I was too lenient as a manager.  Even got reprimanded by my bosses for it. But that was work. We're now talking about taking another person's life in exchange for the life he took. That's a waste of two lives. At least one can be productive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trippy said:

Actually, it's much more expensive to deliver the death penalty than life in prison.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs/summary-of-states-death-penalty

Then how can they put me to sleep in a hospital in seconds, and with one more jab I am gone.

Harold Shipman must have found a quick and cheap way to do it. 

Edited by KannikaP

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are cases where people get convicted with too little evidence. And those cases are the reason that the death penalty is problematic. After someone was killed you can't just go back: Sorry, we made a mistake.

And there are far far far far more cases of the person being released only to kill again.

You want perfection it won't happen. However the typical death row inmate is in death row for decades. It isn't as if the person does not have adequate time to prove their innocence. So I am not real worried about killing an innocent person 

• Agree 1