Swiss man in Phuket acquitted of assaulting doctor

snoop1130

12 hours ago, maesariang said:

Paid her off no doubt. Video showed a kick.

No or she would have dropped the case not needing the judges involvement. She has pushed consistently for his punishment and deportation. 

Considering the sheer volume of dodgy things on Phuket it seemed petty at a minimum. Only in any way news because she was a 'Dr' and enough status to push it. 

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know how he can be acquitted when there was video evidence of an assault. 

That said - the acquittal does bring into question the validity of comments in other threads that us foreigners are treated unequally….  This guy has received a very soft response from Thailands judiciary process. 

I think many of us here who see someone attack someone horribly in this manner deserves a lot worse whatever their nationality. 

We also have two-tier policing in the west. Coppers are very soft on certain foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Cameroni said:

It would seem just an exceptionally fair decision by the Thai courts, giving the benefit of the doubt.

So much for foreigners aren't treated fairly in Thailand.

Quite right, everybody is treated equally and fairly.

25 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I for one will not be losing any sleep over this conclusion 

No doubt the Swiss guy will be relieved and continue his good life in the land of smiles  😀   💰 

I'm not so sure. His visa has been revoked and i wouldn't be surprised if he were declared unwanted.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

As I said back when this incident first happened. 

1) The video showed no evidence of any physical contact.

2) He was well within his rights to not want people trespassing on his garden. 

What some people might not recall, or may not be aware of, is that his garden is open to the public beach with no fence to stop people wandering onto his lawn.
He reported that on several occasions he had come home to find groups of tourists (most likely Chinese) in his garden. He was understandably annoyed by this.  In his position I would have probably chased those two people off the steps as well.  It's perhaps unfortunate that all Asians have black hair, so it's not possible to tell if someone is Thai or Chinese. 

Nothing he did was wrong, it was private property, and people should respect that. 

And for those who will no doubt say "oh but the steps were illegally built on the beach".  Explain me how he was supposed to know that?  He rented the property in good faith and anyone renting a house like that would naturally assume the steps were legal, were part of the property and therefore private. 

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

As I said back when this incident first happened. 

1) The video showed no evidence of any physical contact.

What some people might not recall, or may not be aware of, is that his garden is open to the public beach with no fence to stop people wandering onto his lawn.
He reported that on several occasions he had come home to find groups of tourists (most likely Chinese) in his garden. He was understandably annoyed by this.  In his position I would have probably chased those two people off the steps as well.  It's perhaps unfortunate that all Asians have black hair, so it's not possible to tell if someone is Thai or Chinese. 

Nothing he did was wrong, it was private property, and people should respect that. 

And for those who will no doubt say "oh but the steps were illegally built on the beach".  Explain me how he was supposed to know that?  He rented the property in good faith and anyone renting a house like that would naturally assume the steps were legal, were part of the property and therefore private. 

We found the White Knight lol

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Irish star said:

We found the White Knight lol

I wouldn't want peasants wandering into my garden or sitting on my steps.  Bully for you if you'd be ok with random people coming into your garden for a nose around.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

As I recall, his private garden was actually public land.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1