Water level of Chao Phraya River rising in Bangkok

snoop1130

chao_df696e2183.jpg

Riverside residents and businesses in 11 provinces in the Chao Phraya river basin, including Bangkok, have been advised to brace for rising water levels, after the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) increased the volume of water being discharged through the Chao Phraya Dam in Chainat province to about 1,500m3/s today.

An urgent letter, issued by RID deputy director-general Det Lekwichai and addressed to the governors of Uthai Thani, Chainat, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Suphan Buri, Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Bangkok, advises precautionary measures be taken and the public be kept informed, especially those located along the Chao Phraya and Noi rivers.

The increased rate of water discharge, due to the volume of water from northern runoffs rising to about 1,900m3/s, raises the water level in the downstream reaches of the river by about 18cm.

Photo: Thai PBS World

Full story: Thai PBS World

-- 2024-09-03

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

We live on the west bank of the Chao Phraya just South of Thonburi. We just bought a house with minimart attached and have invested a few 100k on new fridges and stock etc. The wife is panicking and the locals speak of little else apart fron 'nam too-am'; fingers crossed it won't be a repeat of 2011. 🥲

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

We live on the west bank of the Chao Phraya just South of Thonburi. We just bought a house with minimart attached and have invested a few 100k on new fridges and stock etc. The wife is panicking and the locals speak of little else apart fron 'nam too-am'; fingers crossed it won't be a repeat of 2011. 🥲

Oh dear! I wouldn't be crossing my fingers, I'ld be laying in supplies of sandbags.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I believe I read an article yesterday that stated that they were discharging 2700m3/s through the ChaiNat dam during the the 2011 floods, so still a ways to go.

And that coincided with 2.5m high tide

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Did you buy in a known flood zone?

• Like 1

My one relative,s house  got a 1.2 meter flood in the 2011 flood. cost them a fridge stove, and furniture.

I think they invested in some bricks and wood to put the furniture hig above the floor for the next big flood.