Labour The Rise of the New Nasty Party

Social Media

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

The rush to decarbonize, long before supporting technologies are ready, drives up energy costs without making a significant impact on global emissions.

Nah, people turn off their heating because they “can’t afford it” which results in lower carbon emissions.

Simple concept.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

411 to 121 is a landslide in my book. 

And denial is the longest river in Egypt.

No denial, just a confirmed belief that our electoral system is fundamentally flawed.

I have long believed in proportional representation.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

The next 5 years will see an exodus of talented wealth generators who will be replaced by no-skilled immigrants.   I don't see how the UK will recover from just a single term of these idiots.  

Are you sure? 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/philipsalter/2023/08/22/foreign-born-founders-behind-39-of-the-uks-fastest-growing-companies/

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Nah, people turn off their heating because they “can’t afford it” which results in lower carbon emissions.

Simple concept.

Until the CO2 generation from the cremation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Until the CO2 generation from the cremation.

Starmer will offset that with the following mindset.

1. They were probably Tory voters (the elderly tend to be).

2. They can get their grubby little hands on the inheritance tax (soon to be increased in his first budget).

3. Less strain on the NHS (his excuse for banning things like smoking in pub gardens). 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The only pensioners not getting the winter fuel allowance are those with incomes above the threshold to receive all other benefits. 

With over 100,000 asylum seekers left as a gift by the previous government, Labour have certainly inherited assisted costs.

Foreign aid, that thing even the Tories understood was means to positively influence other nations in the UK’s best interests.

There was already a prison over crowding crisis months before the election of this Labour Government, I only yesterday provided you a link to a report on the matter, so a bit of studied ignorance on your part.

There are millions of pensioners just above the threshold (about £ 12,000 pa from memory) who will be very badly affected.Some will have to choose between food and heating.

Meanwhile the Government i n a telling indication of its priorities has surrendered to public sector wage demands including the absurd ones for £70,000 pa train drivers.

A contact of mine in Whitehall tells me No 10 is hopping mad with the Chancellor who has kowtowed to Treasury orthodoxy without considering the terrible political implications.Expect a U turn, maybe in the October budget.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

There are millions of pensioners just above the threshold (about £ 12,000 pa from memory) who will be very badly affected.Some will have to choose between food and heating.

Meanwhile the Government i n a telling indication of its priorities has surrendered to public sector wage demands including the absurd ones for £70,000 pa train drivers.

A contact of mine in Whitehall tells me No 10 is hopping mad with the Chancellor who has kowtowed to Treasury orthodoxy without considering the terrible political implications.Expect a U turn, maybe in the October budget.

You perhaps aren’t aware of the range of benefits pensioners receive.

Regardless, there are also large numbers of pensioners in receipt of personal and work place pensions, many with incomes above the average national wage income, taxing workers to give these people extra benefits they don’t need is clearly not tenable. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Before that budget there is going to be a vote in parliament on the scrapping of the winter fuel allowance - next week in fact.   All of those "be kind" Labour politicians who labelled Tories as scum and the "nasty party" are going to have to vote to remove it and it will be permanently on their records.  With the energy bills going up 10% and the removal of this allowance I expect this policy will actually kill some old people before their time.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You perhaps aren’t aware of the range of benefits pensioners receive.

Regardless, there are also large numbers of pensioners in receipt of personal and work place pensions, many with incomes above the average national wage income, taxing workers to give these people extra benefits they don’t need is clearly not tenable. 

Maybe educate yourself on the impact of this before making comments about things you don't really understand:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/our-impact/campaigning/save-the-winter-fuel-payment/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Before that budget there is going to be a vote in parliament on the scrapping of the winter fuel allowance - next week in fact.   All of those "be kind" Labour politicians who labelled Tories as scum and the "nasty party" are going to have to vote to remove it and it will be permanently on their records.  With the energy bills going up 10% and the removal of this allowance I expect this policy will actually kill some old people before their time.  

Maybe they’ll vote otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Maybe they’ll vote otherwise.

Starmer is a weak man that cannot handle criticism.   He already removed the whip from 6 or 7 MPs who voted against keeping the 2 child benefit cap.  He won't let them.   So they will vote to kill old people this winter and it will forever be on their records.  

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The only pensioners not getting the winter fuel allowance are those with incomes above the threshold to receive all other benefits. 

12,000 per year.

You think someone on a couple of thousand above that is rolling in money? Have you been to the UK lately? OAP's are going to have to choose between food and heat. An absolute disgrace.

Labour used to represent these kind of people. Not any more. 

The fact that he was accusing the Tories of doing this just weeks before the election, and then went ahead and did it himself makes him not only a nasty piece of work, but a massive hypocrite. Although I've come to expect hypocrisy from the left.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/keir-starmer-tories-winter-fuel-raid-weeks-before-election/

image.png.ef9f4c2d4c3096d174af3e60cecff3e7.png