Totally legal way to activate Windows

Beachcomber

13 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

t's genuine and legal and works.

But hear a commenter:

This is all one big rationalization. Activating the windows is "not" legal and the fact that Vikram did it doesn't mean he was allowed to. It just means he did. The person that you needed to go to for reactivation was your OEM, not MS. I've heard this argument before. It's not legit (even though it should be). The point that MS doesn't care that much is exactly the point. They don't because it is such a small volume.

It's also a rationalization for a particular situation, failing to address the pirated situation or lack of any initial official activation, OEM or otherwise. 

• Like 1

An interesting original post, and on that point, I did buy a Lenovo PC about three or four years ago and it came with Windows 10 already installed. However sometime later I started to get a few problems with it so I took it along to a local PC repair shop and they fixed it and I think they installed another copy of Windows 10, but now I cannot receive any Windows updates, so I'm wondering if this is a genuine W10?

I'm also wondering if I following the instructions in the original post, I could start to receive these Windows updates – – anyone have an idea on this??

I have a "semi-legal" windows on my laptop (ancient HP) and was getting this 'activate Windows' messageafter I had to disable to the Microsoft SoftwareProtection Service as it was eating all the CPU. I purchaced a licence key off the Internet - and it didn't take! So I just did this and it has fixed it - thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'm also wondering if I following the instructions in the original post, I could start to receive these Windows updates – – anyone have an idea on this??

well I can tell you the activation works, just follow the instruction which is easy and it work. 

It´s amazing, that even anybody of you can consider this a legal activation. The only way to have a legally activated Windows is to buy a license.

Even worse, one post having a semi-legal Windows. Absurd! Call Windows support and ask them. 🤣

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s amazing, that even anybody of you can consider this a legal activation. The only way to have a legally activated Windows is to buy a license.

Even worse, one post having a semi-legal Windows. Absurd! Call Windows support and ask them. 🤣

Are we losing sight of basics though? When we buy a new computer, chances are it has Windows pre-installed thus we have paid to use it. Computers don't last forever, however, some of us will upgrade our OS during the life of their machine. Didn't MS offer free upgrades from W7 to W10 for a while? Some people will continue to run obsolete Windows OS and/or install Linux on their elderly machines. MS isn't losing out in that scenario.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Are we losing sight of basics though? When we buy a new computer, chances are it has Windows pre-installed thus we have paid to use it. Computers don't last forever, however, some of us will upgrade our OS during the life of their machine. Didn't MS offer free upgrades from W7 to W10 for a while? Some people will continue to run obsolete Windows OS and/or install Linux on their elderly machines. MS isn't losing out in that scenario.

Nah, if you buy a computer at a reputable shop, and it has an installation file on the hard disk that automatically install when you start the computer for the first time. Then you can be pretty sure that you bought a computer with a so called hard disk license. Something that mean your windows is genuine and activated for that computer. Such Windows will also update as it should.

It you buy a real license, you will also be able to activate a downloaded version of Windows with that license. Also in this case the activation is legal and it will update.

If you buy a computer from a non-reputable shop, example the small shops with new and second hand in Pantip etc., then they will probably give you an illegal installation of Windows. Usually it will show after 90-180 days, when the usually used KMS method stops working, and you will then get the message that your Windows is not activated. Many of the versions they use, are also downloaded pirated systems. Something that almost always means they are infected with trojans, sniffers and malware.

Other not legal ways to activate Windows are MAS (Microsoft Activation Scripts) using ohook or HWID methods. But, that is not something that I will be allowed to continue give information on how it works on this forum.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

well I can tell you the activation works, just follow the instruction which is easy and it work. 

May I ask if all of the files and desktop items were untouched during the process?

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

May I ask if all of the files and desktop items were untouched during the process?

yes, nothing is touched, moved, changed or anything ... it just runs a quick program check with powershell and then it's activated.  

• Thanks 1

I didn't look at the code, but downloading a third party script from the internet using powershell with admin privileges is a huge security risk.

Be sure to properly vet the operator and the script itself before using it.

I'd be interested to know what threat assessors are saying about it, but even if a group like the CCC gives it a clean bill of health, this still wouldn't mean it's without risk since the payload can change any time, or the server might serve a different script depending on who/where the client is.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Looking at the video in the OP, this is only re-activating if you previously entered a legal key, not activating.

Correct?

no.

what you describe is just one way it can be used. the script will activate the stuff either way.

Edited by tgw
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I bought a licence key for Windows 10 from Microsoft.  It didn't work!  It displayed a message telling me to completely re-install Windows 10 OS, AND THEN my licence key would work..... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, nglodnig said:

I have a "semi-legal" windows on my laptop (ancient HP) and was getting this 'activate Windows' messageafter I had to disable to the Microsoft SoftwareProtection Service as it was eating all the CPU. I purchaced a licence key off the Internet - and it didn't take! So I just did this and it has fixed it - thanks!

I NEVER get any Windows activation warning garbage.

MS never contacts me, these days, for ANY reason.

You really must get rid of Windows if you wish to be less stressed in life.

And, it's easy.

And, it's completely free, and very secure.

Just go with OpenSUSE Leap 15.6...

How hard is that?

NOT HARD, is the truth.

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I bought a licence key for Windows 10 from Microsoft.  It didn't work!  It displayed a message telling me to completely re-install Windows 10 OS, AND THEN my licence key would work..... 

Yeah, it might be somehow hard to explain why, as there can be many factors. The most likely, is that you have a windows installation from a setup downloaded outside of Microsoft. many of them are tampered with, and the most popular tampering in with the activation system.

If you were using a setup downloaded from Microsoft, I do not have an explanation.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I NEVER get any Windows activation warning garbage.

MS never contacts me, these days, for ANY reason.

You really must get rid of Windows if you wish to be less stressed in life.

And, it's easy.

And, it's completely free, and very secure.

Just go with OpenSUSE Leap 15.6...

How hard is that?

NOT HARD, is the truth.

Sure, it works for you, and we get to hear and read about it at minimum on a weekly basis. Are you paid to promote something that are totally backwards, includes knowledge of code to totally understand as well as have limited compatibility with available software?

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, it works for you, and we get to hear and read about it at minimum on a weekly basis. Are you paid to promote something that are totally backwards, includes knowledge of code to totally understand as well as have limited compatibility with available software?

Nobody pays me.

I work hard, here, for free...

As in  ....  FREE BEER.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, tgw said:

I didn't look at the code, but downloading a third party script from the internet using powershell with admin privileges is a huge security risk.

nonsense .... it's a one line command ... all it's doing is processing a command in powershell. 

There's no download of any third party script.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, steven100 said:

nonsense .... it's a one line command ... all it's doing is processing a command in powershell. 

Cluelessness. With the online method, PS runs about 350k lines of script transparently downloaded from a server into RAM, though the script can also be downloaded to disk and run from there.

It appears that only luck has saved your system from being rooted, encrypted, and held for ransom.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I just wonder, why 2 persons are confused and 1 is sad regarding my post below. What is it that is so hard to understand, or is it something facually wrong in my post. Please enlighten me. You know who you are.

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Nah, if you buy a computer at a reputable shop, and it has an installation file on the hard disk that automatically install when you start the computer for the first time. Then you can be pretty sure that you bought a computer with a so called hard disk license. Something that mean your windows is genuine and activated for that computer. Such Windows will also update as it should.

It you buy a real license, you will also be able to activate a downloaded version of Windows with that license. Also in this case the activation is legal and it will update.

If you buy a computer from a non-reputable shop, example the small shops with new and second hand in Pantip etc., then they will probably give you an illegal installation of Windows. Usually it will show after 90-180 days, when the usually used KMS method stops working, and you will then get the message that your Windows is not activated. Many of the versions they use, are also downloaded pirated systems. Something that almost always means they are infected with trojans, sniffers and malware.

Other not legal ways to activate Windows are MAS (Microsoft Activation Scripts) using ohook or HWID methods. But, that is not something that I will be allowed to continue give information on how it works on this forum.

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

lol, then you don't know what the irm command does ... talk about clueless.

the download URL even is in the "one line command" ... :facepalm:

you really shouldn't comment on IT threads

Edited by tgw
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

I'll take just one example. After which I won't waste any more time with your ill behaviour.

No, It's not an "installation file", Windows would already be installed. You are referring to the Windows OOBE. 

Your description is totally inaccurate.

I can go through your other inaccurate and misleading statements, but why bother when you will do everything but admit that you got it wrong?

What in the world are you on about. I have been working with and installing windows since Win 3.11 and 3.12 Workstation. Also setting up servers with NT and version after that. Still working with Windows. As you can see, below OOBE is a part of the installation process, which then easily explained makes it an installation file as the setup is not completed.
image.png.a1603c94d0e4e7c75d6eef73f8517221.png

My dear, dude. Still you that don´t have a clue, and that makes you own the ill behavior. Now Mr. Amateur, please go on with all the other non existent errors, or forever hold you pie hole shut.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1