Urgent Calls for Stricter Controls on Dangerous Dogs after Fatal Attacks

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

A dog looks at us like another dog in ways

That’s true Fred.

I was living in a share house with a dog once. Everytime anyone one brought an attractive girl home the dogs penis would come out, and he would jump on her and start pumping away.

We just told the girls he was just trying to share his lipstick with them.

• Sad 6

8 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Does that mean all the fatal dog attacks world wide are the result of bad owners, bit of a stretch, wouldn't you say? 

So if there is a violent society where people advocate and promote terrorism and fatal attacks world wide, should we condemned to death too? We also have some very dangerous demographics in American cities where violence and fatal attacks are common among their breed, should we also condemn them to death too?

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

Yes, being kind to a dog is being a bad owner.

You have to show them who is boss and how they are to behave.

Bad owners are not  bad people, they think they are doing the right thing but instead are creating a bad dog.

You have to be cruel to be kind. 
same with raising children, spare the rod, spoil the child.

Being kind to any living creature is what you do. Only a narcissists or abusive person has to control others by abuse. You can be the boss if you start early and set the rules. A dog that's treated well will want to please it's owner. Being stern doesn't mean being cruel. Cruel is exactly what the word means. I've had dogs all of my life and rarely felt the need to hit any of them, and they never attacked anyone else, let alone me. The same with my children. I can count on one hand all the times I thought I had to hit all 6 of them, the last 4 never hit at all, and it made me feel worse then they did, as it wasn't abusive. They all grew up respectful of others and animals.

5 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

So if there is a violent society where people advocate and promote terrorism and fatal attacks world wide, should we condemned to death too? We also have some very dangerous demographics in American cities where violence and fatal attacks are common among their breed, should we also condemn them to death too?

That is probably not a bad idea.

More humans worldwide are killed by American people than American Pitbulls.

Thats for sure.

i think you are on to something.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Not bad but dangerous. Any dog can bite but these breeds can cause massive damage very fast to anyone, let alone a child or elderly person. I'm a dog lover and have seen many of these dogs act gentle and loving. They might not ever do anything wrong against a person, but every year a dog that's owned by a person who's taken care of them in a loving way has attacked, seemingly without provocation.

A dog looks at us like another dog in ways, and what's not aggressive behavior to us might be to a dog. My uncle had a Doberman from a pup. It broke it's leg and he waited on it hand and foot until it recovered. If you dropped anything on the floor, it was his, period. I didn't know this until he told me after I bent down to pick up something she was playing with. Luckily I was very young and not perceived as a threat because the same day I saw him go after others in an aggressive manner. He spoiled that dog until it felt it was in charge. These dogs should only be used for military and police activities. No one with small children should ever have them as a pet, even though we see many instances of these breeds acting okay with kids. Isn't worth the risk as there are many other breeds.

My friends in the UK ran a pub, they had a Doberman, we stayed with them in the flat above, in the morning they had gone down to the pub to work, the dog would not let us leave the flat. I have heard this since about Dobermans they will let you in but not out.

There is a certain demographic of Pitbull ownership. These walking land-sharks seem to attract some people who would not normally bother with a normal family pet, but they want to look like a 'hard-man' by proxy.

Adverts on Thai FB from breeders of these dogs show images of the dogs at their most aggressive, obviously appealing to manchildren with the emotional range of a 7 yo. Hilarity ensues. Ho hum.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

That is probably not a bad idea.

More humans worldwide are killed by American people than American Pitbulls.

Thats for sure.

i think you are on to something.

You can also say that about your home country, which has much less people than the US.

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Is this Buddhism that prevents them from serving justice? I guess they're going to just shrug their shoulders when it kills again in its new home?

Come to think of it this is the same attitude they have towards driving. "It's obviously dangerous but oh well what can we do" attitude.

No it's not Buddhism, if it was, or concern by animal lovers for living things they would all be vegetarians. Dog worshiping is mainly the result of something else.

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

Yes any dog can “bite” but the vast majority of fatal attacks come from the bully breeds( don’t start with the rhetoric,  please). The remaining percentage just about any large breed. What the pits and bully's all posses is a fundamental difficulty to train, unpredictability, and in some bloodlines that  quality of so-called ”gameness”.  That what makes them want to attack and fight to the death with just about any other dog or animal  they encounter. A fundamental defect of temperament that makes them time bombs in any home. Go online you can find videos of pitties attacking draft horses and bison. They are insane. 

My parents graduated from GSDs to Giant Schnauzers, which have even more intimidating teeth, savage black lips,  and LOUD barks. A GSD might rarely  bite a kid to “correct”  it in the pack, but to hang on and maul a family member to death very rare. Most of them really don’t have it in them to be police dogs. A behavior that has to be trained.   Training makes it a game for them. 

Interesting article regarding influences behind the pit-bull cult. 

https://www.animals24-7.org/2022/04/24/15-years-ago-michael-vicks-pit-bulls-killed-the-humane-movement/

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One bite of a person and the family gets a fine of 100,000 baht. Can't pay? You lose your dog. Two bites, or a horrific or fatal attack, and the monster is put down. 

• First offense - heavy fine, or jail
  • Two bites -tried for assault with a deadly weapon as if the owner inflicted the wounds himself. Humane destruction
  • Fatal attack. Put owner in a cell to be bitten and mauled by police dogs on the extemities to a degree owner is put in hospital with serious bite wounds. Then trial for first degree murder.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

According to Roger, dangerous dogs should be identified based on behaviour rather than breed, including any animals that have harmed humans or other pets or caused accidents.

Useless. Of course it's the breed that should be targeted. Ought to put a 20,000 baht reward out for every dead pit bull carcass.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

This is not even a good straw man. You conflate human rights with animal rights, legal entitlements to protect them from injury or abuse. These dogs are not doing anything comparable to human terrorism or violence. Only innocently following their instincts or training. That is why if one is to go into some backyard yard and shoot a  dog you are not charged with murder, but with animal cruelty *in most jurisdictions. Then one would also have to compensate for loss of the livestock value.

Owners need to be held accountable for the actions of their dangerous livestock.

'There was a horrible case on the US territory of Guam a few years ago when felony charges against some dog killing maniac were dismissed because the local courts did not have the legal frame work in place to prosecute. 

https://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/story/news/local/2021/01/22/puguas-law-signed-gov-lou-leon-guerrero/6668221002/

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

This is not even a good straw man. You conflate human rights with animal rights, legal entitlements to protect them from injury or abuse. These dogs are not doing anything comparable to human terrorism or violence. Only innocently following their instincts or training. That is why if one is to go into some backyard yard and shoot a  dog you are not charged with murder, but with animal cruelty *in most jurisdictions. Then one would also have to compensate for loss of the livestock value.

Owners need to be held accountable for the actions of their dangerous livestock.

'There was a horrible case on the US territory of Guam a few years ago when felony charges against some dog killing maniac were dismissed because the local courts did not have the legal frame work in place to prosecute. 

https://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/story/news/local/2021/01/22/puguas-law-signed-gov-lou-leon-guerrero/6668221002/

Bad upbringing in Dogs = Dangerous

Bad upbringing in Humans = Dangerous

Advocating genocide based on breed, be it human or dog, is lunacy! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Bad upbringing in Dogs = Dangerous

Bad upbringing in Humans = Dangerous

Advocating genocide based on breed, be it human or dog, is lunacy! 

Now you are conflating culture with genetics.

I dont know if there is evidence that criminality passes as genetic trait in humans. But If one switched a known Terrorist’s infant son from Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza with an infant from any other place they would assume completely different roles,  based on upbringing , circumstances, and life experience.

Obviously, you know nothing about dogs. Animals that have  been bred for centuries for different traits and behaviors. These dangerous breed dogs are already restricted and are time bombs in any home.

If you happen one of the pit-bull cult members well that is a wall of ignorance no logic or reason can penetrate and I give up already.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

Now you are conflating culture with genetics.

I dont know if there is evidence that criminality passes as genetic trait in humansIf one switched a known Terrorist’s infant son from Jabalia refugees camp in Gaza with an infant from any other place they would assume completely different roles,  based on upbringing.

Obviously, you know nothing about dogs,  that have  been bred for centuries for different traits and behaviors. These dangerous breed dogs are already restricted are time bombs in any home.

If you happen one of the pit-bull cult members that is a wall of ignorance no logic or reason can penetrate.

I've owned dogs all my life, but please, go ahead and keep preaching your geocidal theories to the masses.

• Confused 2

The owners being charged with the dogs crimes would be a good starting point.

That's a risk good dog owners would likely accept as they would look to train their dog well, it may also put off casual ownership.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

One of the few things Turkey gets right, rounding up strays, in their case 4 million, must be about the same here. Nobody cares about the cows, pigs and sheep that get 'massacred' of course.

Way more people get bitten by poodles/etc. than pits/Rotties etc.

The problem is that poodle/etc bites are generally not dramatic/lethal and don't make the news.

IMO ownership of large breeds whose bloodlines reflect protection instincts should require a higher level of legal ownership requirements (temperament tests, mandatory training level, insurance etc.).

Won't happen in goofyland in our lifetimes so its up to us to protect ourselves from these animals. I have a canine repellent sonic device I keep in the car (as well as a couple of more "serious" tools if needed) should the need ever arise to put one of these mutts down if it attacks me or anyone I care about.

I agree that ALL dogs should be better controlled in Thailand. Irrespective of breed.

But for all the nutjobs screaming for dogs to be shot, thrown off buildings etc. they can forget about it. It's very difficult to get a Thai vet to put a dog down. It's also very difficult to get them to go near a dog that they believe to be vicious.

So put your fantasies on hold tough guys. This is Thailand, not your nanny states. Thankfully. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, huangnon said:

There is a certain demographic of Pitbull ownership. These walking land-sharks seem to attract some people who would not normally bother with a normal family pet, but they want to look like a 'hard-man' by proxy.

Adverts on Thai FB from breeders of these dogs show images of the dogs at their most aggressive, obviously appealing to manchildren with the emotional range of a 7 yo. Hilarity ensues. Ho hum.

At least they can control them in public. I think they are getting into Akita dogs too

The issue where I stay a few days a month in US is mainstreaming of the pittie cult.  The shelter are full of them so many well meaning people and suburbanites. When I take a walk half the dogs it seems now are bull variants. 97 pound hipster girls who cannot control them on a lead, Karen’s bringing them into shops, Airports or my condo building, etc. 

The tattooed thugs with a snarling beast with studded collar, “look at me I’m so dangerous, so is my dog” Easily avoided 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

Thailand has an abandoned dog problem period. 3 weeks ago I saw a pack of about 20 dogs attack a homeless man on the street. Myself and a few other people rushed over to drive the dogs off. They tore that guy up between the few minutes it took to drive them off. They were all of different breeds some large some small. I do not know if the homeless guy survived and have not seen him since the ambulance took him away.

As a daily walker, I have been attacked by street dogs about 20 times over the years.  The last 5 years the dog problem has gotten exponentially greater.  

Before it was just 1 dog attacking me.  Now they are packing in the attacks.  One noodle seller actually woke up 7 street dogs and sicced them on me forcing me into on coming traffic.  Once out of their territory they don't pursue.

The pratumnak police station has a new alpha dog who has violently chased me into oncoming traffic many times the last 3 months with his pack.  When he is violently snapping at me I place my backpack between him and me and run between moving cars to get away.  

These violent dogs are a real nuisance.  Having to arm myself with weapons of violence is troubling.