American 'Life Coach' Arrested for Selling Psychedelic Mushroom Therapy

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

an American man who claimed to be a Life Coach. He was accused of selling courses to treat depression using psychedelic mushrooms.

It might work in USA but to try it out here was sheer lunacy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

Literally ruined his life at 18.

And that's why it must be restricted to adults only. There should also be warnings against anyone with past experiences of manic or psychotic episodes, And anyone with a family history of those types of severe mental illnesses should be warned against trying it.

Obviously the State always has a paternal role to play but ultimately it should not limit the fruits of nature because of the foolish behaviour of a few.

By way of contrast, the dangerous risk of schizophrenia is greater in marijuana, but it inflicts people who could never have predicted they may be vulnerable to it. It is a lottery. This is a day and night difference.

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It might work in USA but to try it out here was sheer lunacy

I the US it only works if you have a PhD in psychology and experience in this field. Otherwise you could be harming people in order to extract their money. 

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

Low dose Mushrooms and LSD are the two most known and effective treatments for PTSD. They are serious game changers for people with this condition. Much better than the garbage the Pharma companies and Dr’s prescribe for the same condition.

You need the knowledge and the education in order to help people in this field. Otherwise you can severely harm people. 

16 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The vast  vast majority of people who ever took psychedelics made it through the experience ok...

Take weed.... It makes me forgetful paranoid and stupid....I cant smoke weed, not any....Not at all ever...But I have had no problems with mushrooms in the past or alcohol, none what so ever...

My personal experience with those class of drugs is that it's Russian Roulette. Sure try them I guess but it's not like trying a glass of wine for the first time. I think they're more extreme than what is being said here. Maybe if you could regulate the dose it would help when you get the stuff off the street it's impossible to know for sure.

I got hooked on Ketamine for a couple years in my late teens and got scared straight after feeling like I was slipping away after one trip. Same with LSD/mushrooms, it was seemingly random what crazy thing may happen or how you would react.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

By way of contrast, the dangerous risk of schizophrenia is greater in marijuana, but it inflicts people who could never have predicted they may be vulnerable to it. It is a lottery. This is a day and night difference.

I find this hard to believe.  Maybe it's just because the sample size is so much larger with weed? I've never known anyone to have a serious mental episode on weed and it's used at least 100x more often than LSD etc... I know some people get paranoid (I hate that stuff myself, makes me feel mental) but never the extreme psychosis. 

Besides that one friend I mentioned another kid I knew took LSD and stripped down naked, totally unable to communicate with anyone or be controlled. We eventually had to pin him down and force feed him valium's. When he awoke he was totally terrified and didn't know what happened. I don't like weed could ever do that to a person.

Those drugs scare me now to be honest. You couldn't pay me to take it now in my 40s and risk anything happening. Life is hard enough to get under control and make the right choices if yo ask me. Maybe if you're stuck in some horrible situation and you don't know what to do that could help steer you in some totally new direction but otherwise avoid like the plague.

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

They used to use LSD for treating psychiatric patients, and perform lobotomies , mad doctors, look how the mad doctors flourished during WW11

True, I worked for a Pharmaceutical Company , years ago, and they were using it as a cure for schizophrenia. Wish I had a Quid for every request I got from mates for a Free Sample!

I've never had a mushroom experience.   It is very popular.  Legal in many states.  Not mine.  There was a 3 day symposium this weekend.  I didn't go.   Not sure what exactly this term of micro dosing means.   We are wild mushroom foragers but I don't know how to identify the LBM. Little brown mushrooms.  3-4 years ago any talk about this topic in the local FB mushroom page was removed but now it's allowed.  

Some of you guys are fools to say all drugs are bad, except the ones you use.

One interesting thing many don't know is mushrooms and humans have 50% similar DNA.   And mushrooms are closer to animals than plants.    Maybe more of us should try micro dosing?  Some suggest it would be a better World.   In fact in the recent trump  interview with Lex Fridman , Lex suggests all of Congress and the Senate should have to try them.  The interview didn't change my opinion of the dumpster one bit.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sponsor-story/natures-way/2018/08/31/6-things-you-never-knew-mushrooms/1149402002/

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Wow! Let's legalize LSD then. Marijuana is already legalized, alcohol and tobacco have been legalized long time ago. Next is heroin, LSD, crystal meth?

And?  Why not.  Alcohol is by far the most horrid of them all.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

yes and keep the knives locked up as they are liable to inflict deep flesh wounds, bash there heads in and jump out the window,or drown for a week and then crawl into a ditch and die from suicide

That's more the lifestyle of drunks, you know, those who use legal alcohol.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

They grow wild everywhere in NZ, just about every home has some growing at some stage, but only fools touch them, they burn brains out because you never know what dose your going to get strong or week, I had a friend whose son was severely damaged by these, he took years to recover he had to go into a treatment Center for years but thankfully he's ok now.

Fake scare story. Psilocybin mushrooms are about as harmless as things can get.

• Agree 2

Weren't mushrooms already removed from the narcotics list? There was some change in the law related to them that I saw briefly in the news a few months ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

On September 6, at the Immigration Bureau, police officials held a press conference to announce the arrest of an American man who claimed to be a Life Coach.

Imagine if they had a press conference very time they arrested a Thai for similar level offences...  🙄

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Low dose Mushrooms and LSD are the two most known and effective treatments for PTSD. They are serious game changers for people with this condition. Much better than the garbage the Pharma companies and Dr’s prescribe for the same condition.

Veterans Administration Hospital (VA) doctors gave me psychotropic drugs as part of my PTSD treatment.   I stopped taking them because of the hallucinations they caused.   

When I told the VA doctors the meds were making me hallucinate, I was told, those drugs don't do that!  

On 9/7/2024 at 8:40 AM, Gaccha said:

It's bewildering that such a harmless drug with benefits increasingly recognised in medical research remains illegal. In contrast, marijuana, long accepted as an inducer of schizophrenia in genetically vulnerable young males, is treated as a convenience store snack.

Could you please provide a credible source for your claims re cannabis causing schizophrenia ?

3 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Could you please provide a credible source for your claims re cannabis causing schizophrenia ?

There are huge numbers of academic papers on the subject. It's not an obscure topic to research so I am baffled at your request. Are you familiar with 'Google Scholar'? One meta-study on there found 620 other papers on the topic. Did you miss all of them?

If you're trying to initiate an argument on the topic then I would point you towards the need for a literature review on an area to make your decision as to the scientific consensus; a mere one paper should never be enough. You certainly shouldn't be arguing out on a random forum.

Of course, if you simply want a credible pop-science book on this then:

Screenshot_20240908_130450_Opera.jpg.18c4cebcdae5c5eda69c7b0bf3e13777.jpg

• Haha 1

You know, it really is about time that legislation was introduced to allow people to take, eat, swallow, inject, stick up your backside, anything that grows naturally and whose composition is not changed in processing......this includes weed, krater, mushrooms, and in my opinion opium. Just my opinion. 

Having said that any idiot or conman that sells this stuff with a disregard for the actual law deserves what he gets. 

• Agree 1