Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

26 minutes ago, Ricardo99 said:

The Philippines welcomes expats and retirees with open arms and wallets.

Better English speakers, better beer and no offshore income Tax.

That is our Plan B (1)  - rent a small unit there and visit Thailand Visa free for 179 days in total each year. If/when that becomes too much of a problem, we will return to Australia and visit Thailand for a month or two each year.  Plan B - 2 3 4 and 5 are Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

That could happen.  There are reports in some older threads where an IO has asked to see activity in savings accounts during extension appointments.

Immigration already has the catch-all item in the list of required documents "other documents requested by IO."  The IO could simply ask for last year's Thai tax return if passport shows 180+ days in country.

While IOs can ask for bank statements to show 'activity' they cannot ask for a Tax Return - under the current Immigration Laws - which of course they could change if they wanted to, but not quickly and not right now. 

2 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That is our Plan B (1)  - rent a small unit there and visit Thailand Visa free for 179 days in total each year. If/when that becomes too much of a problem, we will return to Australia and visit Thailand for a month or two each year.  Plan B - 2 3 4 and 5 are Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. 

As a Pom living in Thailand I quite envied Ozzies, unlike us they didn't need to travel 1.000's of miles overseas for some decent weather😊 (For about half year anyway).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Unamerican said:

What Social Security  payments would they be??  What are these?  I have never heard of them before. 

I'm sorry. I should have written "your home government's old-age pension payments." That's called "Social Security" in the USA, my home country.

Edited by WDSmart
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Plan B - 2 3 4 and 5 are Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. 

Suggest a bit of homework first to see which on these are not taking the same approach to tax as Thailand. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Presnock said:

just visit your local Thai revenue dept office and ask them - get it from a proper source - others have been told that the number will be the same as your pink card - I don't really know but people here are all experts but funny how their answers differ!

Not as funny as those who have wasted hours queuing up at their local tax office to get a TIN , only to be sent home empty handed.  There may well be some tax "experts" on this forum, but their expertise expired the day they left their home country. 

They should not be advising anybody to do anything  regarding taxation here,  one might as well take advice from a taxi driver 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 9:34 PM, NoDisplayName said:

It's bad enough I have to pay tax on interstellar/multi-dimensional income to Uncle Sam for life, but Thailand wants a cut also?

I ran the numbers.........I manage my finances to remain at the zero tax limit in the USA, which will result in $10,000 paid annually to Thailand.  All capital gains are taxed as normal income with no offset for capital losses.

I don't think so.  How do you say 'hello' in Khmer?

Suosdei. 

34 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Is this because tax evasion or are they simply not required and which countries are you referring to? I'm a tax slave unless I relinquish my US citizenship so this idea of not paying taxes is totally alien to me.

Though many expats here may have been required to get a Thai tax ID and to file tax forms here (after becoming a Thai tax resident have not paid income taxes here previously as that was a"gray" area, they may be required now if they have assessable income to get a TIN and file taxes.  If American, you already should have been filing for US taxes so you might check the DTA to see if any of your income is currently non-taxable in Thailand.  If you do have assessable income in Thailand, you may have to pay some Thai tax if it is more than that taken out by the US....i.e. US tax rate is 10% and Thai tax rate on the amount is 15% then Thailand could charge you for 5% of that amount.  There are still some countries (for example - the Philippines does not charge retirees on their income/pensions while other SEA countries are doing the same as Thailand for the future.  Very complicated and at this moment while one might think about it, we wait for the final forms to come out and the finale judgement of the Revenue Department for this year only on remittances.  This new scheme may never come to fruition especially in the short term.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

What exactly in my post is confusing ?

because many of those other countries have not been collecting taxes from their homies nor have their homies advised them that they are not paying taxes anywhere else either - duh, that is why 138 countries signed the OECD agreement plus CRS FATCA US tax collectors.

29 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Form 90:  Personal Income Tax Return
for taxpayer with income not only from employment

Form 91:  Personal Income Tax Return
for taxpayer with only income from employment

I got a TIN in Bangkok years ago in order to refund interest and dividend withholding.

Now that I have a pink ID, I use that number for online filing.

Yes, seen the old forms again and Form 91 income from employment only but the exemptions are on this and obviously Form 90 needs to be completed.
The heading on Form 91 does say from Employment  only and very confusing.
Thanks so much

12 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Not as funny as those who have wasted hours queuing up at their local tax office to get a TIN , only to be sent home empty handed.  There may well be some tax "experts" on this forum, but their expertise expired the day they left their home country. 

They should not be advising anybody to do anything  regarding taxation here,  one might as well take advice from a taxi driver 

AGREE wholeheartedly!  Myself, I am waiting for the Thai revenue Dept to amend their tax laws that say I even though I don't have assessable income that I must get a Tax ID number and file for taxes even though I don't have any assessable income.  Until then, I will ignore the revenue dept office as I await their latest scheme announcement...possibly when the "NEW" tax forms come out in Nov-Dec  maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2024 at 4:26 PM, CallumWK said:

Time to empty my Thai bank accounts

That will make absolutely no difference if you stay more than 180 days in Thailand. Any income earned, in any bank account in the world, will be taxed in Thailand under these proposals

8 minutes ago, Presnock said:

because many of those other countries have not been collecting taxes from their homies nor have their homies advised them that they are not paying taxes anywhere else either - duh, that is why 138 countries signed the OECD agreement plus CRS FATCA US tax collectors.

I have an old friend who has lived in Thailand for 20 years, and said that he hadn't paid taxes previously. He used to call it "Walking between the raindrops".😊

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

I have an old friend who has lived in Thailand for 20 years, and said that he hadn't paid taxes previously. He used to call it "Walking between the raindrops".😊

I bet he still gets wet sometimes.........

Paying taxes would require some government/employer to report those earnings to The Thailand Revenue office, otherwise, that burden is left to the tax payer. Who, I am sure being a solid citizen will take it upon themselves to report that income to the Thai Gummint. Hiring a tax accountant will also increase the expenses and costs to report it accurately and correctly. sounds like a solid plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2024 at 9:34 PM, NoDisplayName said:

It's bad enough I have to pay tax on interstellar/multi-dimensional income to Uncle Sam for life, but Thailand wants a cut also?

I ran the numbers.........I manage my finances to remain at the zero tax limit in the USA, which will result in $10,000 paid annually to Thailand.  All capital gains are taxed as normal income with no offset for capital losses.

I don't think so.  How do you say 'hello' in Khmer?

Sook sabai. 

Or in Vietnamese: Xin chào 

What about people who have no  income back home, but are just transferring their savings from home country to Thailand?

How are they going to differentiate between income and "just having money "?

I assume they won't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

What about people who have no  income back home, but are just transferring their savings from home country to Thailand?

I assume they won't. 

Best to assume nothing, especially after reading threads like this.   

On 9/7/2024 at 9:16 PM, Pouatchee said:

happy days... not

so now the nightmare begins

so now they will have access to our home records... big brother... reallyyyy. 

double taxation? these matters really need to be cleared up and imho double taxation is just plain wrong... hope tere will be provisions blocking this.

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!

The Thai revenue website says B150,000 un-taxable and 190,000 for over 56 is un-taxable income. Thai tax office say anything over 120,000 is taxable income. Again lying, cheating and stealing.

31 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Suggest a bit of homework first to see which on these are not taking the same approach to tax as Thailand. 

Yes indeed and done for 3.  Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia do not tax the remittances of retired Expats brought into their country - as far as my read is concerned.  But that is not to say that they are not looking to change that - but when all three countries complied with the CRS and OECD tax changes, they all excluded the incomes/money of retired expats.  It took me a long time to find that - and it will do again - and perhaps I should have kept the exact location of the relevant sections in their tax codes and Govt statements, but I didn't. I figured (wrongly) Thailand would not go full monty and target worldwide income - my bad.  But I still think they wont fully implement this new tax regime - their tax laws and systems and methods are totally backward - and I think it will be too hard with all the appeals and complaints - I will stay away and watch what happens for a while.   

4 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I assume they won't. 

You may need at some point to meet with the Thai Revenue Dept to explain to them that you are living off of your savings - will have to prove that the savings acct is pre-2024.  Just like me, at some point I am sure they will want me to prove my money is only a US govt Pension but can easily prove that so protected by the DTA.

• Agree 1