Tourist confronts teen pickpocket in Bangkok’s Sukhumvit Soi 11 - video

snoop1130

Funny, the foreigner sounds more BRITISH than American or African when he shouts "HEY, Where's my money ?"
And he was carrying POUNDS, not Euros or US currency (like an African or American would likely have).

Geee, where would a Brit get that kind of money ? 

When you read the forums, they are all "Landed gentry" that have large estates full of servants back home and are here "just for the weather".

But in reality, you see them watching the currency exchange rates closer than they watch the EPL standings, they're first in line whenever the "balloons" go up and they've mastered the art of making a single small draft last for hours - or until someone rings a bell somewhere.

So where would a Brit in Bangkok come up with £400 ?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Because the remark is suggesting because he is black and from Africa the money is from illegal sources .

I am not of that opinion myself.

Too many remarks made here from sheer ignorance .

“I am not of that opinion myself “

I am (my opinion).

Black Africans hanging out on lower Suk.  I’ll stick with the facts.

• Like 1

I watched the whole clip on the blogger's site but it doesn't show the result of the incident.

Or maybe there's a reason the clip ended before any conclusion was reached. Can't tell. 

Had to laugh at some of the comments though. One person asked if the guy was carrying 400 pounds of money !

Another was similar to many posters here - except he thought the pickpocket may have been Cambodian and giving Thailand a bad name while posters here were casting aspersions based on the victim's race and presumed nationality.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, sungod said:

All the black fellas in that area walk up to you and ask you if you want to buy any drugs. So, on the law of averages......

I was staying at the Ambassordor only 2 weeks ago  in soi 11 and got stopped and asked every day for 4 days if i want any coke. Wheres the cops when the nigerians are there all day every day selling drugs.

• Agree 1

Just now, G_Money said:

Black Africans hanging out on lower Suk.  I’ll stick with the facts.

There's an area "down there" where a lot of "Africans" congregate and not for altruistic reasons.

Recall back some years ago when there was an article about a Canadian who claimed he'd been "kidnapped" by people "dressed like police" who took him to "a basement" and demanded a "$5,000 ransom".

Of course the story wasn't reported in any Thai media - and the article (in the Edmonton Sun) had a GoFundMe already set up and linked (scam radar alert immediately started buzzing).

I did some checking and it turned out the guy had just arrived in Thailand days earlier and literally went straight to "that area" of Bangkok and was caught almost immediately trying to sell drugs to an undercover cop.
It's an area known for having a large "African" population and for selling drugs (and the Canadian guy "blended right in" with the rest of them).

That's not a racist statement - that's a fact (about the area and the person in question).

He'd barely been in the country 3 DAYS at that point !!! Why he immediately went to that area to sell drugs is beyond me. I suspect he knew about it from previous trips perhaps or from "friends" who told him where to go.
(And how he could afford to fly to Thailand - to sell drugs on a street corner ? There's a lot more to that story than appeared in the news article and GoFundMe scam.)

But he called his friends back in Canada and made up the story hoping they'd believe him and send him the BAIL money he needed to get out of jail.

Because those people "dressed like policemen" were actually police and the "basement" was actually a police station and the ransom was how much they told him his bail would be if he wanted to get out of jail until his trial date.

I contacted the reporter who wrote the story (and contacted GoFundMe as well to alert them to the scam). The reporter didn't want to believe me - until Foreign Affairs admitted that "a Canadian" had been arrested in Thailand.

I found out he was in jail for 3 months before being blacklisted and deported back to Canada.

The reporter apparently tried to contact his "friends" but they wouldn't talk to her again.

If I told people that a "white guy" around Main and Hastings in downtown Vancouver had $400 stolen from him - people would have NO problem coming to the conclusion he was either a dealer - or an addict looking to score.

Because very few people in "that" area of Vancouver would have $400 to their name on most days, let alone in their pocket - unless they were dealing - or they'd just cashed their welfare cheques and were out trying to buy drugs.

(That area of Vancouver is rife with dealers, junkies and strung-out hookers and is known as the "poorest postal code" in all of Canada. The police leave them alone because they can't arrest them thanks to liberal drug laws - and corrupt politicians - and they don't want to crack down on them and risk them moving into "better" neighbourhoods.)

Funny how it's not "racist" if I say "white" but somehow it is if I say "black", isn't it ?

• Love It 1

15 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Well, duh! Because white Africans tend to be smarter and more successful.

Who is Africa's richest person? A white dude: Elon Musk.

I believe that Elon's mum's Canadian? And he probably has an American passport (So Americans regard him as 'African-American'?😁?). And he's a white guy.🙂

Edited by Andrew65

21 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

There's an area "down there" where a lot of "Africans" congregate and not for altruistic reasons.

Recall back some years ago when there was an article about a Canadian who claimed he'd been "kidnapped" by people "dressed like police" who took him to "a basement" and demanded a "$5,000 ransom".

Of course the story wasn't reported in any Thai media - and the article (in the Edmonton Sun) had a GoFundMe already set up and linked (scam radar alert immediately started buzzing).

I did some checking and it turned out the guy had just arrived in Thailand days earlier and literally went straight to "that area" of Bangkok and was caught almost immediately trying to sell drugs to an undercover cop.
It's an area known for having a large "African" population and for selling drugs (and the Canadian guy "blended right in" with the rest of them).

That's not a racist statement - that's a fact (about the area and the person in question).

He'd barely been in the country 3 DAYS at that point !!! Why he immediately went to that area to sell drugs is beyond me. I suspect he knew about it from previous trips perhaps or from "friends" who told him where to go.
(And how he could afford to fly to Thailand - to sell drugs on a street corner ? There's a lot more to that story than appeared in the news article and GoFundMe scam.)

But he called his friends back in Canada and made up the story hoping they'd believe him and send him the BAIL money he needed to get out of jail.

Because those people "dressed like policemen" were actually police and the "basement" was actually a police station and the ransom was how much they told him his bail would be if he wanted to get out of jail until his trial date.

I contacted the reporter who wrote the story (and contacted GoFundMe as well to alert them to the scam). The reporter didn't want to believe me - until Foreign Affairs admitted that "a Canadian" had been arrested in Thailand.

I found out he was in jail for 3 months before being blacklisted and deported back to Canada.

The reporter apparently tried to contact his "friends" but they wouldn't talk to her again.

If I told people that a "white guy" around Main and Hastings in downtown Vancouver had $400 stolen from him - people would have NO problem coming to the conclusion he was either a dealer - or an addict looking to score.

Because very few people in "that" area of Vancouver would have $400 to their name on most days, let alone in their pocket - unless they were dealing - or they'd just cashed their welfare cheques and were out trying to buy drugs.

(That area of Vancouver is rife with dealers, junkies and strung-out hookers and is known as the "poorest postal code" in all of Canada. The police leave them alone because they can't arrest them thanks to liberal drug laws - and corrupt politicians - and they don't want to crack down on them and risk them moving into "better" neighbourhoods.)

Funny how it's not "racist" if I say "white" but somehow it is if I say "black", isn't it ?

Well said!

No shortage of white liberal woke types on the forum that loves to play the race card for black people.  I suspect it has something to do with white guilt/privilege ingrained into their psyche.

Largest supporters of BLM were ….yep…The White Liberals.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Well said!

No shortage of white liberal woke types on the forum that loves to play the race card for black people.  I suspect it has something to do with white guilt/privilege ingrained into their psyche.

My old mate Artie from Vancouver used to refer to that area as "Skid Row".

15 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

I saw the exact same scenario in Rome 40 years ago .The American was twisting a kid's hand

demanding the return of his wallet .The crowd who mostly did not understand were getting ready to beat this guy to a pulp.... until a wallet was thrown on the ground.  Nobody asked the American where he got his money from but he did get it back. 

He is one of those drug dealers standing outside between soi 11 and 7. 

1 hour ago, Taboo2 said:

I am black and retired and would be considered wealthy....where $400 or 400 pounds is just another night in Nana or PatPong for me (love King's Castle).  So, for the guy who asked the question,,,,we work hard for our money...yes, big surprise that a black man have that much.  Deal with it.  The kid messed up and got lucky.  Very lucky that it was only a slap.

The kid was very lucky to choose a guy with bt17000 on him unless he knew that the guy was very likely to be carry that sort of amount - maybe he had been watching his activities for a while and saw him either visit an ATM or be handed money from other sources. If the kid had been monitoring ATM withdrawals he would have be better to have selected an obvious tourist and not the 'street wise' looking guy that he did. Very lucky that it was only a slap. 

46 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

What does all of that 💩 have to do with a British person being pickpocketed?

Is your racism so ingrained that you don't even realise it anymore?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Well said!

What does that 💩 have to do with a British person being pickpocketed?

Is your racism so ingrained that you don't even realise it anymore?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HK MacPhooey said:

The kid was very lucky to choose a guy with bt17000 on him unless he knew that the guy was very likely to be carry that sort of amount - maybe he had been watching his activities for a while and saw him either visit an ATM or be handed money from other sources. If the kid had been monitoring ATM withdrawals he would have be better to have selected an obvious tourist and not the 'street wise' looking guy that he did. Very lucky that it was only a slap. 

It wasn't 17000 baht, it was £400. Hence from the U.K. as per the accent. More likely from the Caribbean.

But to ignorant racists, every black person near Sukhumvit is a drug dealer.

So much scum inhabiting the forum these days.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1