What’s the best area in Thailand for expats to settle for long-term living?

Conan The Barbarian

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course Pattaya has those things, all within 30 minutes, Samaesarn, Nang Ram, jungle treks khao mai kaeo, you just don't know those areas. kho Phangan not a patch on Pattaya area, used to be just full of druggies

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You've got the wrong end of the stick again i was referring to koh Phangan 

Then you need to brush up on your writing skills.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I did not mention Koh Chang in that post ! 

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Are you kidding me Pattaya is full of 'Druggies' weekly stories of people off their head, shootings, stabbings, punch ups, that is almost unheard of on KC.

You forgotten what you were posting about, what's KC?

• Sad 1

Somewhere in the south like Songkhla would be my choice if I were single and about to retire.

Quiet, but varied in culture and nature. Good air quality and hot, but similar weather throughout the year.

Hat Yai is close by for your shopping needs and if you need a flight elsewhere.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course Pattaya has those things, all within 30 minutes, Samaesarn, Nang Ram, jungle treks khao mai kaeo, you just don't know those areas. kho Phangan not a patch on Pattaya area, used to be just full of druggies

Funny

You stay Pattaya, I go to Koh Phangan, or Koh Phayam or Koh Kood, or any other destination I feel the need to visit.

• Like 1

Ko Chaing what is my go to place when burning season started last burning season why was there? I broke my femur bone it was a complete nightmare. I think when Ambulance to the pier then a boat ambulance to the mainland, then an ambulance to the hospital the only problem and I never thought about it in the past was on the island there’s no real medical care if you have major accident or problem TIT

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

I have lived 3 years in Hia Hin, so I'm familiar with your paradise

Yea ...  that was my chuckle on his/her/it's post, as I'm not much of a Hua Hin fan at all.  Used to be a regular stop for couple days, 10-15 years running, starting in 2001.  Really nice then.  

Now, I might pop into the mall, if needing something, but that's it.   Actually here now, and not even going to bother with the mall.

I wonder how many of those islands he/she/it's been to, to form the opinion that they are ruined.

18 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

I am planning to settle in here love the culture.

I would suggest having a look at Bang Saen, has a lot going for it.

Not too big, plenty to do, easy to get about, good convenient hospital, airport and Pattaya not very far away. sea front and not too many expats.

18 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

I am planning to settle in here love the culture.

How can anyone answer this when you've not said what sort of life you want, how old you are, how rich you are and a bunch of other important factors.

For me personally I would never live anywhere in Thailand other than Bangkok. I want convenience, lots of high end malls to shop in and a lot of people so I can have a large social network.

I first started coming to Thailand more than 40 years ago and have been living here for the past 16 years. I've been to a lot of places here and whilst it used to be nice to stay in a luxury resort hotel in Phuket for a holiday, living there would suck, especially nowadays. 

The 'provinces' are undeveloped, dirty places and mostly filled with peasants.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to be out in the boonies with no mates to hang out with. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Some don't like Island life, but Koh Chang has been my choice now for many years

My wife and I have always had a soft spot for the island. It was my first choice for settling down, but unfortunately, that never came to pass. We haven't visited in several years but have fond memories of a restaurant diagonally opposite Cookies Hotel, run by a Belgian (if I recall correctly). We enjoyed great food there, like green mussels, French onion soup, and pizza. In the evenings, the owner would play bass guitar with his small band. We're planning to visit the island for a holiday before the end of the year.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I would suggest having a look at Bang Saen, has a lot going for it.

Not too big, plenty to do, easy to get about, good convenient hospital, airport and Pattaya not very far away. sea front and not too many expats.

Would agree...or Cha Am on the other side?

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Would agree...or Cha Am on the other side?

Cha Am is ok but limited, does not have the same level of facilities and access as BS.

Personally I would much rather have a day out or an overnighter in Pattaya than Hua Hin.

• Thumbs Up 1