Thai Hotels Struggle as Mid-Priced Rooms Fail to Attract Tourists

13 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

In Issan at the moment.  Our 2 bed room overlooking the pond.  800 baht.

20240912_181745.jpg

Do you get many bookings...rude to ask?

Came back from the UK to find the wife had built a small house in our back garden, a 1000 sq ft outdoor living space with veranda, pool table, bar and kitchen/diner......says she wants to let it all out.....but we are a million miles from anywhere.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Do you get many bookings...rude to ask?

Came back from the UK to find the wife had built a small house in our back garden, a 1000 sq ft outdoor living space with veranda, pool table, bar and kitchen/diner......says she wants to let it all out.....but we are a million miles from anywhere.

Sorry should have been clearer.  We are on vacation and this was the bungalow in resort we rented last night in Wanon Niwat.  Even had a larger pool area with slids for the 6yr old.  800 baht/night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Sorry should have been clearer.  We are on vacation and this was the bungalow in resort we rented last night in Wanon Niwat.  Even had a larger pool area with slids for the 6yr old.  800 baht/night.

Got it....cheers.

12 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Well, seem like Thais have less money to spend holidays while the International clientele is back. I doubt I have ever stayed in a Hotel for less than 2000 Baht a night. Do these sub 1500 places have private bathrooms, beds or mats on the floor?

Don't think I've ever paid more than 1kbht/night in Asia (normally less), the rooms all had air-con, en-suite shower, sometimes a swimming pool, and sometimes breakfast.

• Like 1

Complaining complaining, but no investments, idea's or promotions.. It is easy to find cheap good hotels, but mid price hotels sometimes are too expensive for what they offer and you better are off to stay in a cheaper hotel. Holiday season in the Europe is over, the Thai Baht is again too expensive, the Western countries are discouraging travel with planes, Airtickest on long destinations are expensive and with all the scam in Thailand for taxi fares, police fines, and tourist attractions, and the bad air quality it is no wonder that tourist are looking further than coming to Thailand.. There is a lot of work to do and surely not start with more taxes as all imported goods are already very high taxed, see in the supermarkets the prices of imported articles and wines and beers for example..

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Don't think I've ever paid more than 1kbht/night in Asia (normally less), the rooms all had air-con, en-suite shower, sometimes a swimming pool, and sometimes breakfast.

Well what I pay (2k to 3k) is the equivalent of a cheap two star hotel in Europe, and I get some amazing treats. I'd feel sorry if I had missed out on something where Thailand gives amazing value for money.

Edited by Ben Zioner

17 hours ago, Will B Good said:

If you bookings are down there is only one solution.....increase your prices to make up for the lower numbers.....no brainer.

Simply lowering prices is a loss of face (pride). Many places will go broke before doing that.

It's not the same as haggling or negotiating where you see a higher price and offer less.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Well, seem like Thais have less money to spend holidays while the International clientele is back. I doubt I have ever stayed in a Hotel for less than 2000 Baht a night. Do these sub 1500 places have private bathrooms, beds or mats on the floor?

Agree that your 2000 baht figure is right in the middle for places we stay Usually 3-4 star always with breakfast. Plenty of options for us, usually. Depends, of course, on area and time of year, too old for mats on the floor.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, phetphet said:

Schools in Europe have just reopened after summer break, the THB is getting stronger, and no one has any money.

But don't worry hoteliers, once the Thai taxman starts taxing all the expats next year, even they will likely cut back on travel.

Currently looking at Malaysia, Mexico and Portugal if needed. Won't pull the trigger until/unless it comes down to double taxation as I am a US citizen and so already subject to global income taxation. I retired to Thailand because I cannot afford a working middle class retirement in the US. Thailand does not value my million baht spent here? OK, I can find other options ... up to you Thailand. A bother but not critical for me and my Thai Wife.

Edited by Wrwest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well the exchange rates are certainly not helping, I just checked for example the EURO to VND (Vietnam) and this is practically unchanged. For USD VND it's also only 500 VND on a dollar less. To then add that almost everything there is cheaper as well. 

Many of these new hotels that ask 1500-2000 simply are <deleted>ty build, often noisy as well and not really any better than a 800-1200 baht room. I even stayed recently in lat prao in a brand new hotel near the MRT for just 1200 a night.

Never really see the value in paying more than that, unless it is right away some 5 star resort or hotel for a special time. I only pay more if there is no decent alternatives. Even the hilton at frankfurt airport only costed me 5k baht, Thailand is expensive.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, harryviking said:

LOL! Thats an old one! Remember ages ago when bars did not get enough income due to lack of customers, they doubled the beer price! And of course then the rest of the customers ran away! This is tactical Thai Thinking!

Happen to me not so long ago. Went to one of regular bars and the price for a small Singha had jump from about 100B to 165B.

Same answer......not many customers at the moment so we had to put the price up????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Open up the country to cheap mass tourism and these are the consequences. 

Huh?  You must not have read the article or your comprehension skills are lacking.  It's the exact opposite of what you posted, according to the article.  The high-end hotels are doing ok, the mid and low-end hotels are not.   The conclusion?  Thailand is doing ok with the number of higher-end tourists visiting but is not attracting enough mid and lower-end tourists to fill those types of hotel rooms.   So much for all those posting by you and others saying Thailand is being over-run by 'cheap mass tourism'.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 7:29 PM, Ben Zioner said:

rent a condo for 500 baht a night , you have all that and probably a washing machine, walk in shower, internet etc.

Slightly off topic; moderators please delete if necessary.

A close Thai friend works at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok.

This week she complained that she was very stressed at work.  Many of the staff at the hotel have been resigning over the past 6 months and the hotel cannot recruit enough replacements.  Low pay and enforced overtime is the problem, according to my friend.

On 9/13/2024 at 8:50 AM, DrPhibes said:

Sounds like what I came back to.  Wanted small house came back to Spanish range style hacienda crossed with Acropolis.   Aaargghh

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2024 at 7:59 PM, Ben Zioner said:

On 9/12/2024 at 10:14 PM, Maitdjai said:

Maybe you'd check out the

1500 Baht rooms. Before you talk! Your "doubts" about where or if you've been staying are more of a cognitive or healthcare issue. 😂

On 9/13/2024 at 6:20 AM, Ben Zioner said:

So, you remember all the hotels where you've stayed, or keep records of everything? hmmmh

No, I don't. But I remember many of the not "worth the money" ones. This can happen in all price categories. 2000/night is no guarantee for anything. Even though the better it gets, the higher the price tag is.

But it's secondary. In TiT anyway.

The number of staff surrounding me (playing cellphone or not), offered wais is not as important to me, as a worn out matres for, example.

Primary, it depends on your own expectations and demands for the money you pay. 

On 9/13/2024 at 8:50 AM, DrPhibes said:

Followup, spent last night at the Centara Hotel  in Udon Thai.  Nice hotel adjacent to the Central mall. They had a low season deal the wife found and booked ahead on Agoda.  1,100 baht not counting tax and fees.  Worth it.

• Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Followup, spent last night at the Centara Hotel  in Udon Thai.  Nice hotel adjacent to the Central mall. They had a low season deal the wife found and booked ahead on Agoda.  1,100 baht not counting tax and fees.  Worth it.

Okay.  Sounds good.

It's possible to find a good "budget" hotel if you take your time, know what you're looking for, and do your research.  ( Look for reviews that talk about maintenance, cleanliness, noise.). Also possible to land in a real dump if you don't. 

On 9/12/2024 at 4:14 AM, khunPer said:

Higher flight prices might be a reason why the budget travellers aren't coming, while travellers in the higher financial level both can afford and expects better accommodation than budget travellers. I've noticed the same trend on Samui for a while, many-star hotels are busy, budget resorts seems to have many vacant rooms.

last weel a bookable offer from germany for mid january  , flight to phunket return ( without baggae) air arabia  plus 14 day phuket 5 star rated hotel --if travel 2 persone  only 626  euro ,   cheap

and flights to thai many in offer in europe  for 500 e

and starts 350 euro with budgetairline

flight prices are higher in average 25% ,compare to 2019 , but thats inlline with inflation , so in real termsflat

Hotels simple ,--less western tourist and a mass oversuply same condos--main  reason

Edited by lapamita
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1