Texas Chicken Bids Farewell to Thailand

Georgealbert

21 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I'm from the USA and I have never heard of it.

Church's Texas Chicken is an American fast food restaurant chain that specializes in fried chicken and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. The chain was founded as Church's Fried Chicken To-Go by George W. Church Sr. in April 1952, in San Antonio, Texas, across the street from The Alamo.[3][4] Church's Texas Chicken trades as Texas Chicken or Church's Chicken in many countries.[1][2] The chain is owned by American private equity firm High Bluff Capital Partners. As of 2017, Church's Texas Chicken had more than 1,700 franchised and company-owned locations in 26 countries.

Church's Chicken began its international expansion in the 1970s, in 
Canada, Mexico, Japan, and Puerto Rico.[14][15] In the 1980s, it gained popularity in Indonesia when it opened under the trade name, "Texas Chicken".

In 1989, after a four-month legal dispute to avoid a takeover, Church's Chicken became the second-largest chicken restaurant chain when it was acquired by 
Popeyes for $330 million.

20 hours ago, mackayae said:

I will miss their biscuits. 

I find it rather strange that 'biscuits' would be served with chicken? Tea or coffee with biscuits at ones morning break, but not with ones lunch or dinner. I suppose if it were meant to be like sweet and sour, one could raise an eyebrow, but stranger things have been known I guess.

13 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I find it rather strange that 'biscuits' would be served with chicken? Tea or coffee with biscuits at ones morning break, but not with ones lunch or dinner. I suppose if it were meant to be like sweet and sour, one could raise an eyebrow, but stranger things have been known I guess.

Think 'dinner roll', not 'cookie'

image.png.5c8436fa28caf79040d4bb45ab2eceb4.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Surasak said:

American biscuit. Not a cookie. 🤣

recipe_easy_butter_biscuits_2280.jpg

Not a fan of Popeye's, Church's or KFC. Surprised there was  Church's/Texas. Never saw a Texas outlet. I have seen a Chester's , and the one time I wanted to order, they only had legs.  I much preferred Carl's Jr. Chicken strips, but then Carl's abandoned me. It was the only place where I ordered chicken after having been disappointed  everywhere. Bonchon is a growing chain, and I just get disappointed. 3X in 3 years and each more awful than the previous years.  As many lament, KFC is King of the hill, but it is awful. Small chickens, greasy and far too much salt. 

Am I wrong when I believe that Thailand's chicken fast food chains source chicken from the same chicken supplier,  Charoen Pokphand Foods (CPF) Thailand or Cargill?

In Arizona displayed as Church's.  During our meetups at Future Park Mall, Rangsit, Bangkok ate two or three times.  Biscuits OK and chicken passable.  I get plenty of chicken at home.  My wife of 51 years cooks a mix of Thai, Chinese, Italian, and American.  We do not dine out much at all.  Oddly enough my wife likes Long John Silver's.

Edited by Fortean1
too much grease...

In Thai language forums there are rumours that the sudden closure was due to an issue with the franchisee (to high fees or not wanting to extend the contract). And that the branches are reopening soon under own concept from PTTOR with fried chicken Thai style. Whatever that means...

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

They stopped offering those biscuits in Thailand at least a year or two ago.  I suspect that getting rid of that was part of the reason they failed.  I know that I went there less often after they discontinued that.

U.S.-style biscuits aren't popular outside North America.  One problem is biscuits go stale very quickly and have to be baked fresh every day, which is a lot of hassle for a fast-food restaurant.  British scones on the other hand have proved popular in many countries.

Its international locations include Honduras, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Oman, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Singapore, St. Lucia, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, United Arab Emirates and Vietnam.

Not going to argue with you as you have said you are not a native speaker of the language, and are not American. But here. In Thailand there is no clue it was Church's in others its double labeled.

8 hours ago, CLW said:

In Thai language forums there are rumours that the sudden closure was due to an issue with the franchisee (to high fees or not wanting to extend the contract). And that the branches are reopening soon under own concept from PTTOR with fried chicken Thai style. Whatever that means...

That's the most likely explanation I've heard.  I suspect it's not so much a matter of high franchise fees as PTT has gleaned all the knowledge they need, so it's time to throw their partner under the bus.

That's a familiar pattern.

• Agree 2

It doesn't taste the same as it does in the U.S. That's why it failed; chicken is dry, stale, and over-cooked. KFC is not the same as the U.S. either. And for the same reasons, KFC should have failed by now. Both are trying to accomodate local tastes. I must applaud McDonald's for their commitment to maintian the same flavors no matter where you buy their burgers in the world.

16 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

It doesn't taste the same as it does in the U.S. That's why it failed; chicken is dry, stale, and over-cooked. KFC is not the same as the U.S. either. And for the same reasons, KFC should have failed by now. Both are trying to accomodate local tastes. I must applaud McDonald's for their commitment to maintian the same flavors no matter where you buy their burgers in the world.

KFC Thailand presumably adjusted the style to suit their Thai customers, not expat Americans, and it seems to have worked!

16 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

And for the same reasons, KFC should have failed by now.

Lost your credibility there buddy. KFC is by far the biggest and most popular fast food chain in Thailand, Why? The Thai's love the taste and dining options available there.