Best UK Bank whilst living in Thailand

I am seeking recommendations from UK citizens living in Thailand regarding UK banks. I want to keep the majority of my money in the UK and transfer regular amounts to my bank in Thailand. Currently with Santander but their money laundering checks are causing me grief on a regular payment I get from DWP state pension. So I am contemplating move away from Santander.

7 hours ago, Karlo said:

I am seeking recommendations from UK citizens living in Thailand regarding UK banks. I want to keep the majority of my money in the UK and transfer regular amounts to my bank in Thailand. Currently with Santander but their money laundering checks are causing me grief on a regular payment I get from DWP state pension. So I am contemplating move away from Santander.

May be out of date information now but Santander customer services told me they permit a Thai address and will send renewed/replacement cards to Thailand. Halifax allowed a Thai address but wouldn't send renewed/repalcement cards to Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's worth bearing in mind that a very recent AN thread was started by a member who had been warned by Santander that because of his non-resident status in the UK (i.e. he is living in Thailand) his account would be closed in three months.

Thanks for this, things do change. Santander contacted me wanting to know my future intended use of their current and savings account. I told them I was abroad until further notice and the lack of use was due to Chase UK paying 1% cash back on purchases with their debit card. I told them if their account became competitive I would recommence use. They were happy with this and left it at that.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

And don't forget the active uk phone number ... for text messages - you will 100% need this.

That used to be the case, but Nationwide recently changed to allow you to use its app for authentication, so a UK 'phone number may not be necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Foxx said:

That used to be the case, but Nationwide recently changed to allow you to use its app for authentication, so a UK 'phone number may not be necessary.

I've read that OTP's via SMS are considered less secure than such as authenticator apps. However, how many people receive OTP's and install their authenticator apps upon the same device as their banking apps?

I would recommend FlexAccount Nationwide, they have a 20 pound fixed fee for transfers up to the legal amount, make sure you have someone who can send you a new card reader or ATM card to Thailand, if and when you need one. p.s any card reader from any uk bank will work. I had a card reader that just stopped working (not the battery). 

HSBC works well for me. I told them I was living in Thailand over 10 years ago (I don't have a UK address) and they have my Thai address & phone number on file. They are happy to send new credit/debit cards to me here in Thailand. At the moment the HSBC bank app is set up to use bio-metrics for security but they also have an authentication app or a physical security device as options. I've banked with them for 40+ years.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1