British Man Arrested for Smuggling £1M Cannabis from Thailand

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really...would we...how much gets through? 

I'm surprised that you know anything t all about how much does get through.

Im in the UK ( Bristol) right now and have friends who smoke (never my thing) and the import weed they used to buy was mainly from California but in the last year or so its been more Thai Import. It’s of similar quality and much cheaper , I hope that clears things up for you. 

Most comes through the post!

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

He isn't committing a crime in Thailand.

I'm don't use it and so I don't keep up to date on the legal implications. I did have a quick look and it seems there's not a problem on domestic flights so long as the HC limit of 0.2% isn't exceeded. I have read that the airport doesn't have the facilities, or the legal right to check the content. Given the constant change regarding cannabis that might change. There's probably a good chance it won't be checked anyway.

On international flights it seems a bit vague. It may well be banned by airlines as they wouldn't want to have it found on a stop over in a country where it's banned. There's always the possibility of an emergency landing as well.

It was probably easier to inform the UK authorities and be seen to cooperate on crime.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:
34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really...would we...how much gets through? 

I'm surprised that you know anything t all about how much does get through.

Im in the UK ( Bristol) right now and have friends who smoke (never my thing) and the import weed they used to buy was mainly from California but in the last year or so its been more Thai Import. It’s of similar quality and much cheaper , I hope that clears things up for you. 

No, hearsay never clears up anything.  How do you know how much escapes Customs' attention?   You don't.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I'm don't use it and so I don't keep up to date on the legal implications. I did have a quick look and it seems there's not a problem on domestic flights so long as the HC limit of 0.2% isn't exceeded. I have read that the airport doesn't have the facilities, or the legal right to check the content. Given the constant change regarding cannabis that might change. There's probably a good chance it won't be checked anyway.

On international flights it seems a bit vague. It may well be banned by airlines as they wouldn't want to have it found on a stop over in a country where it's banned. There's always the possibility of an emergency landing as well.

It was probably easier to inform the UK authorities and be seen to cooperate on crime.

There are no legal restrictions on owning or transporting cannabis within Thailand. Your conclusions after a 'quick' look are entirely wrong. Best not to post about something you don't understand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, hearsay never clears up anything.  How do you know how much escapes Customs' attention?   You don't.

Of course I don’t know that. But i do know that weed imported  from Thailand is readily available in the UK ( Bristol at least).  And this wasn’t the case even 1 year ago. Not sure why you are getting all confrontational about it tbh. Are you in the export business? 😂 

• Love It 1

It makes you wonder what he was thinking, or if he was thinking at all. They have scanners these days, they have dogs with incredibly sensitive wiffers, I don't know how he thought he could get away with it. It just doesn't seem like he thought this thing through too much.

I wonder what the penalty is in the UK for smuggling that kind of quantity? 

There were 11 arrested at Birmingham airport few weeks ago as well

These people must be insane considering Thai laws over smuggling and no Cannabis is not legal for this type of "usage"

Dont these didlows realise that one the bags go through scanners at Bangkok airport and secondly drug dogs hit the carousels outside of the buildings where the bags are loaded for collection

Brain dead

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would Thai customs do anything, cannabis is legal here.

Dont be so absolutely ludicrous !!!

The naivety is breathtaking,

Engage your brain fella over what the culprit was attempting to do !!

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Of course I don’t know that. But i do know that weed imported  from Thailand is readily available in the UK ( Bristol at least).  And this wasn’t the case even 1 year ago. Not sure why you are getting all confrontational about it tbh. Are you in the export business? 😂 

"Not sure why you are getting all confrontational about it..."

Because that's his style - that's what he does!

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

He played football for arsenal

If you bothered to read the full post you would see that you are talking about the wrong person altogether:- 

"In a related incident, professional footballer Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was charged with attempting to smuggle £600,000 worth of cannabis through Stansted Airport."

I guess that's how rumours start!

14 minutes ago, Chivas said:

These people must be insane considering Thai laws over smuggling and no Cannabis is not legal for this type of "usage"

Dont these didlows realise that one the bags go through scanners at Bangkok airport and secondly drug dogs hit the carousels outside of the buildings where the bags are loaded for collection

Brain dead

not always the scenario but yes it does happen that way.

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

Lucky for him, that Thai customs didn't arrest him, but chose to inform customs in UK instead.

Why would Thailand want to give him free board and lodgings when the UK will do it for them for the cost of 1 phone call, also saves them the trouble of a court  case and then deporting him, he could still land on the Thai Immigration blacklist (or maybe not if they want his 44 million THB again)

18 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Brain dead

The scanners are quite impressive.

I was taking my wife's ashes to her family in the UK.

They were in a checked-in suitcase.

I was stopping off for a couple of days to see friends in Turkey on the way.

I was scanned and searched on arrival in Turkey and again on arrival in Birmingham.

Involving his children they should send him back to Thailand for prison.  Australia prisoners watch TV and play cards.  So liberal and weak.

Send him back to sleep on concrete jammed in a room with hundreds of others.  Teach this loser a lesson.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I mean they scan luggage for people smuggling more than 200 cigarettes, correct? Did they honestly believe luggage stuffed to the brim with marijuana would go unnoticed?

I was recently in the US and kind of wanted to take a THC vape pen back with me in checked luggage and rightly decided against it. What was this guy thinking.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I mean they scan luggage for people smuggling more than 200 cigarettes, correct? Did they honestly believe luggage stuffed to the brim with marijuana would go unnoticed?

Dogs can sniff out cigarettes and drugs, and then it would be scanned, plenty on YouTube about UK customs.

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry, but the guy is a right nincompoop.

Smuggling drugs and trying to use two young kids as cover?

Why does that make him a nincompoop?  Authorities will be more suspicious of a single man than a man with children.