Burmese man condemned for preaching Christianity to Buddhist novices

webfact

27 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Maybe Malaysia wouldn't be so bad, but in Saudi Arabia, it would be a HUGE problem.

Yes indeed. When I worked in Saudi in the early 80s he could well have been topped for this, probably on TV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

How dare they to each some other religion as Thai Buddhism is not real Buddhism but a mix of all mind of religions... Real Buddhism doesn't exist in Thailand...Buddhists monks are not allowed to gamble, smoke,  drink alcohol, have sex, and don't need money as they do here in Thailand

The all need money, as some goods and services must be bought in exchange for money. They just don’t label it as money. 

22 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

how can something, that doesn't exist, hold anything. it seems you choose to believe in a mythical been that believes in mass killing, slavery, created sin, then condemned those that "sin." etc... never mind the false claims, like created the earth, in 7 days, this before there was any reference to time.. then created the sun... both very wrong... but hey.. you can believe.

Now put that in English, with some punctuation, and we may understand what you are saying.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Bible thumpers.... had one I knew near to me.

A Thai teacher who used every opportunity to plug the faith.

He believes you are going to hell and he has the anecdote. What kind of person would he be if he did not take every opportunity to share it?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The abbot promised to stop such actions and hoped this would be a lesson for other temples.

The Abbot sounds like he needs a bit of Christianity himself, willing to take Free English lessons but doesn't like Christianity . If it's free the Monks will take anything.

47 minutes ago, JoergADA said:

The all need money, as some goods and services must be bought in exchange for money. They just don’t label it as money. 

Indeed they need money for their needs, not hundreds of thousands or millions on bankaccounts

4 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Deport him.

Prison first, missionaries are a curse, disrupting communities which promotes alcoholism and prostitution, these bigots are so full of themselves, why don't they try it in a Muslim country? Jesus may save them from stoning and if not they will surely enter heaven :cheesy:

56 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:
1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

At least it is not "Allah Akbar."

Two sides of the same hateful coin. Christians are not better than any other Medieval pile of lies.

They’re both equally ridiculous of course, and both equally dangerous if taken to the extreme. However, one of those religions is hugely more dangerous than the other at the present time, and I think we all know which one that is.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

They’re both equally ridiculous of course, and both equally dangerous if taken to the extreme. However, one of those religions is hugely more dangerous than the other at the present time, and I think we all know which one that is.

This year yes, historically, not even close.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Bible thumpers.... had one I knew near to me.

A Thai teacher who used every opportunity to plug the faith.

I had  some similar Bible thumpers/Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses at my door a great number of years ago trying to convert me.

One of them said "But you must have believed in Jesus at one time?" I replied, "Yes, and I also used to believe in Santa Claus! Goodbye" and went to close the door, but he stuck his foot in the way, saying "But......" and he got no further because I said "Take your foot off my doorstep or I'll break it - now b****r off and don't bother me again." My Scottish wife at the time commented "There was no need for that, you could have just said you were busy, and didn't have time to talk to them". I replied "Yes, and  what excuse would you use when they came back again? No, this way they won't bother us again" We never got bothered again - bloody pests!

• Like 2

Here on KP we have a Russian Orthodox Church and a Christian Church I am not a churchgoer but I occasionally go to my local temple to make merit even though I am an Irish Christian Monks can walk the streets and offer prayers in return for food so I can’t understand why a Christian believer should cause upset by introducing Christianity  to those who are undecided. I know a number of Thais who have become Christians. !

Not surprised I remember during my teaching time in Udon Thani at one particular school , A Englishman was school;ing one or two children in the bible etc, told him not to do it, but he ignored me .

PLain to see the children were torn between obeying the teacher rather than just walk away . I took action by informing ther Director, needless to say that man and his wife were not amused. DID i CARE NO !!

10 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Here on KP we have a Russian Orthodox Church and a Christian Church I am not a churchgoer but I occasionally go to my local temple to make merit even though I am an Irish Christian Monks can walk the streets and offer prayers in return for food so I can’t understand why a Christian believer should cause upset by introducing Christianity  to those who are undecided. I know a number of Thais who have become Christians. !

There's a right time and a right place, and preaching Christianity to novice Buddhists in a Buddhist temple is neither. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

how can something, that doesn't exist, hold anything. it seems you choose to believe in a mythical been that believes in mass killing, slavery, created sin, then condemned those that "sin." etc... never mind the false claims, like created the earth, in 7 days, this before there was any reference to time.. then created the sun... both very wrong... but hey.. you can believe.

Should that not read "mythical bean"? Or maybe mythical "has been"?  I think you meant "being"! 🙂 

1 hour ago, rocketboy2 said:

Oh my religion is better than yours. :coffee1:

cccc.PNG

I once heard id described as 2 schoolboys in a playground arguing about who had the best imaginary friend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deesquared said:

Nothing was done in secret. The temple knew precisely what they were doing. They welcome any English teaching and understand it will be done using biblical scripture. Secondly, just because you raise your hand does not mean you are rejecting Buddhism. Often, they will raise their hand simply to not embarrass the guests. Thirdly, Thailand has freedom of religion. So if they were invited in to do this (they were), there is nothing illegal or wrong about it. 

"..........and understand it will be done using biblical scripture."

Not down our wat!  way! The teachers I know are mostly farang volunteers and I don't know one religious freak amongst them.

30 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Many years ago, when I was teaching in Korea there was a knock on my door. I opened it and two middle aged ladies were standing there. They were surprised to see a Waygook (farang) open the door. I said hello and asked how could I help them. They actually spoke English fairly well. They were Jehova's Witnesses and asked me about God and offered me their pamphlet.

To their complete shock, I invited them in. I asked them to sit on the couch and excused myself for a minute. 

I went into the bedroom and stripped off naked and came out and plunked myself down between them saying I had divested myself of all worldly encumbrances and was as God made us in His image. I asked them to tell me everything. I wanted to learn. 

They thanked me profusely and skedaddled. Never heard from the JWs again.  

I had the same problem (See my post a few above this one), but I like your solution better!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai Buddhist academic criticised a Burmese man and a Thai woman for posing as English language teachers to preach Christianity to novices at a temple in the central province of Ang Thong.

Start off your proselytization with a lie.  Grand way to begin to bring "Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior" into the lives of those "pagan, idol worshiping, Buddhist heathens who are all 'damned to Hell' for sure if they aren't immediately fooled into learning English Christianity and getting dunked into the nearest river."
Anyway, what's the "tell?"  A Burmese man and Thai woman "teaching English" should set off the red flags.  It never occurs to these self-righteous Christians that copious warnings about the evils of "deception" is at that absolute heart of their own religion - and then they use deception in an attempt to create a schism and inject doubt into the hearts and minds of young Buddhist monks - deceptive proselytization

That should be an object lesson for these "naan":
Deception is amoral. 

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

Many years ago, when I was teaching in Korea there was a knock on my door. I opened it and two middle aged ladies were standing there. They were surprised to see a Waygook (farang) open the door. I said hello and asked how could I help them. They actually spoke English fairly well. They were Jehova's Witnesses and asked me about God and offered me their pamphlet.

To their complete shock, I invited them in. I asked them to sit on the couch and excused myself for a minute. 

I went into the bedroom and stripped off naked and came out and plunked myself down between them saying I had divested myself of all worldly encumbrances and was as God made us in His image. I asked them to tell me everything. I wanted to learn. 

They thanked me profusely and skedaddled. Never heard from the JWs again.  

Back in the UK I used to invite the JW's in when they knocked on the door and spend an entertaining half an hour or so trying to convert them to Satanism. They soon stopped coming...