Pit Bull Attacks & Kills 67-Year-Old Woman Cycling in Pathum Thani

Georgealbert

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, fighting other dogs. Not people.

There was never a sport for Man vs PitBull, maybe you are thinking of bull fighting?

In fact, human aggression was never bred into them since these fighting dogs often lived in the family home in between fights and had to be handled in the pit by humans during fights.

A PitBull that indiscriminately attacks humans has either been poorly trained or neglected/abused. 

Unfortunately, Thai attitudes to dog ownership often are not compatible with powerful dogs (caging them, little/no exercise, disciplining them with a stick etc.). Educating owners is the answer. I don't think I've ever seen a dog on a lead outside Bangkok. Mine stays on an extendable lead even when being exercised on our private land, just in case any local mutts wander over and attack him. Responsible ownership is key. 

image.png.ebf68c811925a7d7a7d975e471d1e111.png

I saw one kept in a cage in a suburban lot with a few workshops around it. No doubt if it go out it would go berserk. Unbelievable insensitivity to the needs of the animal. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Why do I only hear of this in Thailand?  This is strange.  So you can go to Thailand, get a dog and train it to kill.  Then have it attack someone you don't like. It kills them, and all that happens is you are sorry and cannot handle the dog.  Wow.

... there are easier ways ...

or so they say.

When will a ban against some seriously big and dangerous dog be implemented??? The need for these dogs is absolutely not necessary! Also, there should be a campaign to get rid of ownerless street dogs! They hurt numerous people every year!!! These killer dogs are weapons! So why not put the owners in jail when they kill someone???

Edited by harryviking
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

No such thing as a bad dog breed.

Only bad owners.

No such thing as a bad gun

Only bad owners

Still, having controls on gun ownership, and banning some of the more dangerous types, might increase public safety?

15 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

No such thing as a bad dog breed.

Only bad owners.

Bad owners breed bad dogs with genetic traits for high aggression.  Thi is not curable by training, unfortunately, if they have these traits for aggression then they need to be put down.  They will not become undangerous around people, especially children.  Breeding of dogs for aggreesion is abomination.  The police need to stop this breed from existing in Thailand - find them all & remove them from the public.

4 hours ago, 2long said:

I tend to disagree.

Soi dogs have their own hierarchy and are not caged and mistreated. They can expend the energy that every dog needs to.

Soi dogs are easy to deal with, by walkers, joggers and cyclists... it can't just be me or my area where this is no problem if you show the right body language. A pitbull is just another dog, and would behave so in a gang of soi dogs. I hope!

As for this sad incident, even as a dog lover and defender, this one needs to be destroyed. The 'owner' needs to be charged with manslaughter and her whole family banned from having dogs in the future. 

Right about soi dogs being no problem.

Completely wrong about pitbulls.

I walk twice a day and encounter soi dogs.Mostly all talk if they want to show aggression.

Only seen 1 bitbull out roaming the streets and it attacked me.

6 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Why do I only hear of this in Thailand?  This is strange.  So you can go to Thailand, get a dog and train it to kill.  Then have it attack someone you don't like. It kills them, and all that happens is you are sorry and cannot handle the dog.  Wow.

Because you don’t read other countries news? “Bull” breeds kill people frequently in US. Seems like a couple times a month 

At least the stupid people who cause the maulings are occasionally held to account. 
The dogs are innocent livestock. Only acting on their instincts or training. People must be held liable for the actions of their “ pets”.

Texas couple sentenced to prison after pit bulls killed 81-year-old man

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna172069

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Agree 1

I gave up cycling in Thailand years ago due to dog attacks.

Never saw a Pitbull, just various types of Soi Dogs.

If i could own a gun here in Thailand I would, and I would put it to good use to make the streets safer.

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Unfortunately, Thai attitudes to dog ownership often are not compatible with powerful dogs (caging them, little/no exercise, disciplining them with a stick etc.). Educating owners is the answer. I don't think I've ever seen a dog on a lead outside Bangkok. Mine stays on an extendable lead even when being exercised on our private land, just in case any local mutts wander over and attack him. Responsible ownership is key. 

If the answer is requiring Thais and other people to get a PhD in dog ownership, you're talking about a lost cause. Get rid of these dogs. If somebody wants a dog, there are plenty of other varieties that are companionable, protective, and above all safe from killing random strangers. Pit bulls need to be eradicated. There is no purpose in keeping them out there as a threat to the general public.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If the answer is requiring Thais and other people to get a PhD in dog ownership, you're talking about a lost cause. Get rid of these dogs. If somebody wants a dog, there are plenty of other varieties that are companionable, protective, and above all safe from killing random strangers. Pit bulls need to be eradicated. There is no purpose in keeping them out there as a threat to the general public.

No need for a PhD. Just basic common sense. Train them, and don't let them roam freely.

Same as any dog really. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, catch104 said:

Yes, of course, just as there is no such thing as a bad AK47 or weapon of war in the hand of the public... only deranged users.
Sure there are, but try doing the same harm with a Chiwawa, or a related weapon, a bamboo stick....

More BS. From you this time.

Why do you think that dogs like these are being banned in the west?

The dog owner has admitted that the dog has already bitten her daughter, and now somebody is dead. No, the owner did not kill the victim directly, but by keeping the dog after it has already bitten her daughter, the dog has bitten again. This time sadly, it killed somebody.

You remind me of another poster who claims that his dogs are friendly and lovable and would NEVER bite anybody. Until one of them does.

8 hours ago, jippytum said:

it is difficult to exercise one pet dog in Thailand  due to attacks from other dogs. 

Why anyone should keep six dogs confined on their property shows a lack of care for the dogs and disreguard for neibours. 

This dog should be destroyed.

The owner heavily fined and ordered to pay compensation  and banned from owning other dogs. 

As an unfit owner and she should also have the other dogs removed from her care. 

That problem is very common in many Thai neighborhoods, way too many dogs, period.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, FarangFB said:

It's not a matter of how many, but a matter of "who".

If you're a random farang, a poor villager/child or some unknown elder then nothing will happen, the owner will get away with a slap in the wrist and the dog might get away with it as well.

In order for something to actually change it would take a respected/rich family's child or someone actually important (a politician for example) to be mauled/killed. But these people won't be riding a bicycle in a random soi so the odds are almost non existent.

So very true Sir. The only power in this country - The Baht.

2 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

I saw one kept in a cage in a suburban lot with a few workshops around it. No doubt if it go out it would go berserk. Unbelievable insensitivity to the needs of the animal. 

A few years ago a Thai man in Chonburi that had slept with his pitbull (just like your dog) for 4 years was killed by the dog while he slept.

How many more will it take before this lily livered Government do something about these killers, and their stupid owners?

"Mrs. Kiatkanok, the dog's owner, admitted that this was not the first incident involving Poikae, as the Pit Bull had recently bitten other family members, including her 17-year-old daughter."

I suppose this one will be taken to the temple to apologise, then given to someone experienced with dogs who will then sell it on to the next victim.

Sometimes the laws and customs in this country beggar belief!  

15 hours ago, Lorry said:

But they are so cute and lovely!

They don't kill many people,  out of 8 billion, only a tiny percentage is killed by pitbulls.

They only kill the old and weak, this old lady certainly had some preexisting condition,  otherwise she would have just run away. And why does she live in a pitbullish neighborhood, anyway?

If you have a good defense, you are safe.

BTW I am moving to Sam Khok next week.  Anybody knows where to buy a second hand Abrams for my defense?

At least the RTP won't be able to wheel clamp it, or hoik it onto a recovery truck and take it to the pound until you pay the parking fine.

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

There is no purpose in keeping them out there as a threat to the general public.

The threat to the general public is the purpose. The problem is letting a crazed attack dog decide if the threat is real or just your niece stopping by for a treat.

Edited by cjinchiangrai

UPDATE

Pit Bull Owner Surrenders Dog After Fatal Attack on Relative

IMG_6014.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Khaosod.

The incident in Pathum Thani has led the owner of a Pit Bull to surrender the dog to the Watchdog Thailand Foundation after the animal fatally attacked a 67-year-old woman, identified as Ms. Daeng Thammathanta, while she was cycling near her home. The attack took place in an unnamed alley in the Chiang Rak Noi subdistrict, Sam Khok district. The victim, who lived just 100 metres away from the dog's residence, was found with severe bite wounds over her body.

The owner, Ms. Kiatkanok Tanlae, 48, who is a relative of the victim, revealed that the Pit Bull, named Poikae, had been with the family for five years. The dog was raised alongside seven other Thai dogs and had no history of aggression until recently. In the weeks leading up to the fatal attack, Poikae had bitten three other people, including two elderly male relatives and Ms. Kiatkanok's 17-year-old daughter, who had been receiving medical treatment for her injuries daily.

Ms. Kiatkanok, who said she loved the dog like her own child, explained that Poikae was usually kept locked in a cage, and she was unaware of how the dog had managed to escape before the attack. Despite her attachment to the dog, she decided to surrender it to the Watchdog Thailand Foundation (WDT) out of fear that it might escape again and harm others.

The foundation, along with a professional dog trainer, has already contacted Ms. Kiatkanok to take Poikae into their care. Regarding the legal consequences, the victim was Ms. Kiatkanok's husband's aunt, and the police have already interviewed her. The authorities have advised her to focus on arranging the victim’s funeral while investigations continue.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-25

news-footer-4.png

image.png

56 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

It is in the name, fighting Pit. These dogs have an astounding history of lethal attacks on humans,

Yes, dog fighting took place in a pit. Between 2 dogs. They were never bred to fight or attack humans. 

Many dog breeds have been bred to fight/kill other animals. Be that bears, boar, foxes or whatever. It is not unique to the PitBull.