EV charging outlets in condos

jippytum

@jippytum, we owe you an apology.

you asked a good and meaningful question, but the entire thread has turned into a heated discussion ablut ev fires.

your topic is also being used by anti-ev trolls. they should start their own thread, something like: "we are the ev haters"

there’s a dedicated thread for discussing ev fire topics, so please use that one for fire-related discussions. thank you!

https://aseannow.com/topic/1335967-icev-ev-fires-worldwide/

• Agree 1

My condo has an undercover parking garage and we have banned EVs from charging there. Apart from the massive insurance costs imagine if one exploded in the garage. Not only would it destroy most of the cars in the garage it would probably seriously damage the condos above, with possibly lethal consequences. Fire fighters would not be able to access the garage. Many countries, like South Korea, have done the same. The problem of course is that they can still explode just sitting there.

Edited by Henryford
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I prefer a car or motorcycle bouncing off the rev limiter rather than a large microwave silently moving at pace but feeling like nothing is happening. 

That reminds me of when I was a teenager and had a motorcycle. I modified the exhaust and air filter. That didn't make the bike faster, but with all that noise I was convinced it is a lot faster - and obviously more fun. 

• Love It 1

31 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

@jippytum, we owe you an apology.

you asked a good and meaningful question, but the entire thread has turned into a heated discussion ablut ev fires.

your topic is also being used by anti-ev trolls. they should start their own thread, something like: "we are the ev haters"

there’s a dedicated thread for discussing ev fire topics, so please use that one for fire-related discussions. thank you!

https://aseannow.com/topic/1335967-icev-ev-fires-worldwide/

EV fires are a big issue. Obviously, you can decide to ignore information about those fires. But some of us like to remind the EV fanboys that there are significant risks.

Personally, I have no problem with electric vehicles in general. They certainly have advantages. But that fact should not keep us away from seeing also their problems.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

EV fires are a big issue. Obviously, you can decide to ignore information about those fires. But some of us like to remind the EV fanboys that there are significant risks.

Personally, I have no problem with electric vehicles in general. They certainly have advantages. But that fact should not keep us away from seeing also their problems.

no single ev owner denies or ignores that ev fires are harder to extinguish. but it is also a fact that evs catch fire much less

frequently than ice vehicles, something many ev opponents overlook. 

battery and ev manufacturers are working intensively to find solutions that minimize this problem.

i'm confident that even more improvements ( like LFP) will be made, in the near future!

off topic: 

nuclear power plants are not safe from natural disasters, wars, or human error. furthermore, the long-term storage of highly radioactive 

material is far from being resolved ... this is what personally concerns me more  .... as it seems to be an unsolvable problem.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of when I was a teenager and had a motorcycle. I modified the exhaust and air filter. That didn't make the bike faster, but with all that noise I was convinced it is a lot faster - and obviously more fun. 

yes taking the baffles out or at least cutting them in half and a new air filter made the bike go much faster (sound wise)🤣

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Fast microwave?

Definitely the fast microwave.

BYD Seal Performance has an almost 50:50 weight distribution, 60% power bias to the rear wheels and 530hp and it’s easy to spit the back end out when you want. And an instantaneous throttle response which you cannot achieve with ICE.

And when you want silence you can have it.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

no single ev owner denies or ignores that ev fires are harder to extinguish. but it is also a fact that evs catch fire much less

frequently than ice vehicles, something many ev opponents overlook. 

battery and ev manufacturers are working intensively to find solutions that minimize this problem.

i'm confident that even more improvements ( like LFP) will be made, in the near future!

off topic: 

nuclear power plants are not safe from natural disasters, wars, or human error. furthermore, the long-term storage of highly radioactive 

material is far from being resolved ... this is what personally concerns me more  .... as it seems to be an unsolvable problem.

Personally I would prefer to be in the middle of a modern nuclear power plant compared to in the middle of a lithium battery charging station - especially if the area of that charging station was never designed for that kind of use.

Personally, I don't have much hope that lithium batteries will be somehow safe in the future.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I would prefer to be in the middle of a modern nuclear power plant compared to in the middle of a lithium battery charging station

Better to look for a cancer treatment right away