Applying for a DTV (soft power) with Thai language classes possible?

So far I have enquired at the Thai Consulates/Embassies in Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Philippines if an application for the DTV under the soft power category taking Thai language classes at a school recognized by the Ministry of Education will be accepted.

The most definite answer so far came from the Embassy in Yangon. They replied I'd have to book an appointment, submit my application, and find out whether my application would be accepted or not. The other replies I received were even more vague, some Consulates/Embassies didn't reply yet.

I have also asked The Ministry of Foreign Affairs directly if such an application might be successful, no response so far.

I will update this thread should I get definite 'yes' or 'no' answers.

It seems absurd that applications learning Muay Thai or cooking classes get accepted but nobody knows if learning the language will be accepted under the soft power category as well.

If Foreigners around the world speak Thai is not a soft power of Thailand then I don't know what is..

Edited by Schnitzelfritz

1 hour ago, Schnitzelfritz said:

It seems absurd that applications learning Muay Thai or cooking classes get accepted but nobody knows if learning the language will be accepted under the soft power category as well

Just bumping your thread as no reply.

I'm guessing that for the reasons you mention eg Muay Thai , Thai Language etc that that an agent might be used to organize the courses.

The bottom line is that you need to have the visa issued outside of Thailand.

Agents I have chatted with are using Savannakhet. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just bumping your thread as no reply.

I'm guessing that for the reasons you mention eg Muay Thai , Thai Language etc that that an agent might be used to organize the courses.

The bottom line is that you need to have the visa issued outside of Thailand.

Agents I have chatted with are using Savannakhet. 

Thank you for the bump 😄

So those agents would travel together with the applicant to Laos and facilitate the visa on-site?

I would prefer to do that on my own but wouldn't hesitate to use the help of an agent if there is no other way. The only concern I have is that in the future upon reentry into Thailand an IO could check if the traveler still engages in the activities he got his DTV issued for. I intend to seriously study the Thai language and would be screwed in such a scenario with a DTV issued for participating in Muay Thai for example.

I doubt that in their system Immigration will only have an entry on which category the DTV was issued, workcation or soft power etc. I believe they will have more details to check. Bureaucracy is very comprehensive and detailed here after all.