Major Storm Won't Hit Thailand Like in 2011, official confirms

webfact

image.jpeg

The Disaster Relief Operation Centre has addressed rumours circulating on social media about an impending storm of similar magnitude to the one in 2011. Officials clarified the current weather conditions and upcoming forecasts.

On 27th September 2024, Mr. Jirayu Huangsap, advisor to the Prime Minister and spokesperson for the Disaster Relief Operation Centre, spoke about the rumours that a typhoon stronger than Typhoon Yagi would hit Vietnam, cross Laos, and cause severe flooding in Bangkok, doubling the impact of the 2011 floods.

Mr. Jirayu stated that the centre had verified the information with the Meteorological Department and other relevant agencies. He confirmed that no major storm is expected to impact Thailand within the specified timeframe. The only tropical storm identified is named CIMARON, forming in the Pacific Ocean and heading towards southern Japan, where it is expected to weaken significantly and not affect Thailand.

The current rainfall in Thailand is attributed to a cold air mass from China that has spread across the region. This will initially increase rainfall but will eventually lead to a transition from the rainy season to the early winter period in Thailand.

Regarding flood relief efforts, Mr. Jirayu stated that the Prime Minister has urged relevant agencies to expedite compensation payments to affected residents. Reports from the Ministry of Interior indicate that initial compensation will be distributed to flood victims in the provinces of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Lampang within the week. This initial relief aims to alleviate the immediate suffering of the affected populations, reported Khaosod.

For more severe damages, such as completely destroyed homes, compensation of 230,000 THB will be provided per household. For fatalities, families will receive 50,000 THB in aid.

"The Disaster Relief Operation Centre has been instructed to hasten the disbursement of compensation as per the Prime Minister's directives, ensuring that relief reaches those in need quickly and in compliance with relevant regulations and laws. Quick assistance is a top priority for the government," Mr. Jirayu concluded.

Picture courtesy: Khaosod

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-27

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

He confirmed that no major storm is expected to impact Thailand within the specified timeframe.

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

The current rainfall in Thailand is attributed to a cold air mass from China that has spread across the region. This will initially increase rainfall but will eventually lead to a transition from the rainy season to the early winter period in Thailand.

So, no major storm but increased rainfall.

That's a relief. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is almost the end of September; the rainy season normally goes on to the end of October.

I am in Lopburi province, so far this year we have had very little rain, Wifes daughter and son in law are rice farmers and they are pumping water into their rice fields from a bore hole, not enough rain.

Me writing this now will bring floods on now. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Late wet season (again) and early cool season. We'll see. As for "winter" this is not a season in the tropics. Tropical storm Nock-ten did indeed dump a lot of water but as I recall it was poor water management and securing central Bangkok that lead to the massive flooding in the regions around the city.

Edited by dinsdale

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Ah; the Michael Fish of Thailand !

I lived in Chiang Mai in 2011 and still live here now and in my opinion what happened was several more months than usual of frequent and heavyish rain fell in 2011 and this huge amount of extra water runs South and naturally hit Bangkok.   They knew it was coming and did nothing much about it until it was too late, like having small Boats with engines running to move the water away faster...Lol.

This year it seems to me that we have had equal rainfall to 2011, if not more, so stands to reason that Bangkok will Flood before much longer.

If a Thai 'Official' tells you there is nothing to worry about then you should buy yourself a Boat at the earliest opportunity !

The US navy offered assistance but this was turned down by the Yingluk Thaksin government of the time.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

The heading does not indicate what was stated in the article " He confirmed that no major storm is expected to impact Thailand within the specified timeframe."

It's a pretty silly story. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Ah; the Michael Fish of Thailand !

I lived in Chiang Mai in 2011 and still live here now and in my opinion what happened was several more months than usual of frequent and heavyish rain fell in 2011 and this huge amount of extra water runs South and naturally hit Bangkok.   They knew it was coming and did nothing much about it until it was too late, like having small Boats with engines running to move the water away fast.  1 er...Lol.

This year it seems to me that we have had equal rainfall to 2011, if not more, so stands to reason that Bangkok will Flood before much longer.

If a Thai 'Official' tells you there is nothing to worry about then you should buy yourself a Boat at the earliest opportunity !

Yes, I remember this as well being told the SE England had sunny weather.  1 million trees down, if I remember correctly.

All predictions are only that, only predictions with probability of happening.  No guarantees that they will never happen.

We are keeping a very close eye on things; we got pretty damp in 2022.

We are in the process of building permanent flood defences as part of Madam's home modification process.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

The US navy offered assistance but this was turned down by the Yingluk Thaksin government of the time.

I believe the US navy was in the area and was available for assistance but it was not requested. Not the same as turning down an offer.

And indeed they did accept help. They asked a US navy ship docked in Laem Chabang to extend its stay and used its helicopters for reconnaissance and relief work.

Don't believe the myths, much like the myth that Thailand turned down the offer of help from the Netherlands to control flooding - they didn't - they accepted, but the myth perpetuates (mostly on AN).

Having said that the Yingluck government badly mismanaged the floods so I am not defended their response. Who can forget her pathetic staged photo with her Burberry boots...appalling.

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

And what would the US Navy know about the very special Thai water?

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I believe the US navy was in the area and was available for assistance but it was not requested. Not the same as turning down an offer.

And indeed they did accept help. They asked a US navy ship docked in Laem Chabang to extend its stay and used its helicopters for reconnaissance and relief work.

Don't believe the myths, much like the myth that Thailand turned down the offer of help from the Netherlands to control flooding - they didn't - they accepted, but the myth perpetuates (mostly on AN).

Having said that the Yingluck government badly mismanaged the floods so I am not defended their response. Who can forget her pathetic staged photo with her Burberry boots...appalling.

They likely mismanaged it. However, considering that she was appointed in August, there was not much opportunity left to prevent the flooding, in particular as dams were already full (if I remember well). It was more about deciding which part of Thailand would be flooded.

Edited by candide

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Flood-hit Thailand declines offer of help: US Navy

WASHINGTON, October 25, 2011 (AFP) - The US Navy has withdrawn several ships sent to help with relief efforts in flood-hit Thailand after receiving "mixed" messages from the Bangkok government, a defense official said Monday.

The USS George Washington aircraft carrier and other ships were deployed to the area on October 16 for potential disaster relief work as Thailand faced massive flooding from monsoon rains, said Navy spokesman Lieutenant Commander John Perkins.

But the US military never received a formal request from the Thai government and the three-ship aircraft carrier group along with a fourth ship, the USS Kidd, were released and left the area on Friday, said Perkins, spokesman for the US Pacific Fleet based in Hawaii.

"We are ready to help but we haven't got a request," said a US defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defense official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

Edited by dinsdale

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Flood-hit Thailand declines offer of help: US Navy

WASHINGTON, October 25, 2011 (AFP) - The US Navy has withdrawn several ships sent to help with relief efforts in flood-hit Thailand after receiving "mixed" messages from the Bangkok government, a defense official said Monday.

The USS George Washington aircraft carrier and other ships were deployed to the area on October 16 for potential disaster relief work as Thailand faced massive flooding from monsoon rains, said Navy spokesman Lieutenant Commander John Perkins.

But the US military never received a formal request from the Thai government and the three-ship aircraft carrier group along with a fourth ship, the USS Kidd, were released and left the area on Friday, said Perkins, spokesman for the US Pacific Fleet based in Hawaii.

"We are ready to help but we haven't got a request," said a US defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defense official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

Yes, exactly as I said, they were in the area but didn't receive a request for help - it is right there in the text you quoted.

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, exactly as I said, they were in the area but didn't receive a request for help - it is right there in the text you quoted.

This clearly states that channels of communication were open and that the US navy had offered assistance. As I said Thailand declined the offer of assistance and this is evidenced in as much as not issuing a formal request for help. Help was there, offered but was declined. I was here and clearly remember this being in the news. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

This clearly states that channels of communication were open and that the US navy had offered assistance. As I said Thailand declined the offer of assistance and this is evidenced in as much as not issuing a formal request for help. Help was there, offered but was declined. I was here and clearly remember this being in the news. 

I was here too. I remember that they were waiting for a request but didn't get one, and also that the Thais did request help from a different ship that was in port in Laem Chabang that had helicopters and it extended its planned stay to help. More like left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing rather than refusing all assistance, they did ask for assistance eventually.

Like I said, it was badly mismanaged by the government. End of story.

Edit: again, I am in no way defending the Yingluck government as they were useless on so many levels.

Edited by josephbloggs