Your Two Months Rental Deposit

koolkarl

5 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

Apparently it is a national past time in Thailand for landlords to keep the 2 months deposit. 

What is your source for this statement? 

• Like 1

I successfully received my two months deposit back each time, from four different landlords.  All involving houses in a Moo Bahn and being 50-60K. One landlord deducted a 2K cleaning fee which was mentioned in the lease agreement.

I do know of several blokes who have not received their deposits back. Usually in low rent apartments. And having seen the state they have left these places, I'm not surprised it was withheld.

I know dozens of people who have never had a problem recovering their deposits.

• Like 2

I stayed in one apartment for many years. There was certainly some repair to be done when I left. Was this normal use? Or am I responsible for the damage? I guess part/part.

I didn't pay the last month rent and didn't expect to get the deposit back.

I rented the next apartment for about 2 years. I returned it as good as I received it. I got my whole deposit back.

I guess in part it has to do with us and our attitude and in part with the owner. And then obviously possible damages.

If people behave like they have to fight the owner than they should not be surprised if the owner also fights.

In my case, with my second apartment, I cleaned it thoroughly and agreed with the owner when she will inspect it.

She inspected it and didn't find any problems. And then I asked her about the return of my deposit, and she agreed and deposited it to my account in the next days.

If I would have told her: I want my deposit back now, otherwise I won't even clean the place, then I guess she would not have returned the money. 

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I always negotiate one month deposit. 

I have always gotten it back.  I leave the room like when I moved in everything in proper repair and professionally cleaned.

You could visit my house after I’ve lived it in it 5 years and it would be practically perfect.

I'm amazed at the poor decisions some tenants make causing serious damage and then expect not to pay for it.

Sitting on glass coffee tables

putting a glass of wine on a chair armrest

standing on a dining table

bouncing a ball off a white wall 

puttin inappropriate things in washing machines 

pushing people through doors

The difference between owning your own place and renting it, is if you own it and damage it, you can decide whether or not to repair it, if you rent it, you WILL pay for the damage

Personally have never paid two months deposit, just first and last at the three places we lived, though I’m just as picky about landlords (1: local lanna & 2: they live in cm) as I am about the house setting, spent over a year looking for the place we’re in now. Always got the refund minus ฿500 cleaning even though we left the place spotless and in the same condition as before. Never dealt with an agent, always directly with the owner.