Rising Baht Sparks Fears of Another 'Tom Yam Kung' Crisis

1 hour ago, webfact said:

leaving the country vulnerable to foreign exploitation of its assets

The US (and friends) formula at its core.

Thailand needs to capture as much of the manufacturing leaving China as possible.

This would help close some gaps.

• Like 1

Nothing to see here folks.

Typical exporters cribbing when the baht is strong, but silent as they gorge on a weak baht.

The baht is just slightly stronger vs USD on a ten year average.

IMG_8212.jpeg

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good morning,

Stop the hanky panky manipulation of the Thai Baht, Follow the Global economic rules PERIOD !!!!!!

It seems to me the tourist who bring you your bread and butter you want to charge entree fees ,Retired expats you want to tax them on there pensions, You want dual prices for Thai and Foriegners, SO HOW THEY HELL !!!! DO YOU FIND ANYTHING TO ATTRACT AND OFFER DOING THESE THINGS !!! WAKE UP THAILAND !!

International Tourism is not Thailand's bread and butter, exports is, Tourism is nothing more than an additional course in the meal that helps with Consumer Spending at the grass roots level. International Tourism is 12% of GDP on a good day, exports is around 60%.

Also, can you show us how and where this manipulation of THB takes place, lots of people say it exists but nobody yet in over two decades on this forum has been able to say how and where! On the other hand, the map of USD/THB compared against DXY explains the THB rises and falls nicely.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

My first hand experience of exporting from Thailand is that the cost of shipping has amplified the problem. Shipping costs exploded during COVID and have not come down and now fewer shipping options are available leaving exporters at the mercy of these costs. I no longer bother engaging in exporting the products I was having manufactured here as I can’t compete with manufacturers of the same product in my home country. 

Excellent point. During Covid, manufacturers were using shipping containers to store their product quay side, because it was cheaper to store it there than in warehouses. That led to a massive increase in container and shipping costs, as well as a shortage of supply.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Excellent point. During Covid, manufacturers were using shipping containers to store their product quay side, because it was cheaper to store it there than in warehouses. That led to a massive increase in container and shipping costs, as well as a shortage of supply.

I can agree, that manufacturers were using shipping containers to store their products "quay" side, but not because it was cheaper to store it there than in warehouses. Container rental charges is deliberately set high, in order to avoid this scenario, but when warehouses are full, you will have no other options.

Edited by Xonax

4 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I can agree, that manufacturers were using shipping containers to store their products "quay" side, but not because it was cheaper to store it there than in warehouses. Container rental charges is deliberately set high, in order to avoid this scenario, but when warehouses are full, you will have no other options.

Yes, my explanation was poor and incomplete, which is why I posted a link subsequently but too late to edit my earlier post. Apologies.

6 hours ago, webfact said:
  • Factory closures
  • Rising unemployment
  • Reduced consumer spending
  • Halted industrial investments
  • Increased household and business debt
  • Higher bank loan costs due to rising bad debt reserves
  • Banks limiting loans to struggling businesses
  • Reduced government tax revenues and budget cuts
  • Lower government spending
  • A shrinking GDP
  • Declining foreign currency reserves

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Importing from China even cheaper, 📉 Thai jobs down

So, a perfect time to increase the minimum wage - not.