Cement Truck Driver Killed in Construction Site Accident in Phuket

Georgealbert

IMG_6174.jpeg

The incident occurred at approximately 12.40 on September 29, when a cement truck overturned and fell into a pit at a construction site in the Khotonod area, Soi 1, Cherngtalay Subdistrict, Thalang District, Phuket. Emergency services rushed to the scene after receiving reports of a driver trapped inside the vehicle.

Witnesses reported that the fully loaded truck was trying to manoeuvre into position when the wet, muddy ground collapsed and fell away under it. The truck was rolled on its side and fell and came to rest on top of an open concrete lined shaft.

The cab of the the truck was crushed by the fall and the driver was trapped and pinned by the roof in his seat. Rescue teams, including the Kusoldharm Foundation, deployed hydraulic cutting tools to extract the victim, working in hazardous, sliipery and muddy conditions and the truck rest over the open space.

Unfortunately, the driver, a male, was found deceased when released from the truck. His body was transported to Thalang Hospital.

The cause of the accident is under investigation, and further updates are expected as authorities review the incident at the construction site.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-29

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 2

I quite admire these drivers the way they can get into very tight accesses, especially on Koh Chang where they can drive on the narrow windy hills and keep to their lane yet someone in a small car like a Jaz or mini can't take the bends with out cutting the corners. Whoever decided the site was safe enough to have a heavy cement truck to maneuver on that is to blame IMO not the driver.

28 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I quite admire these drivers the way they can get into very tight accesses, especially on Koh Chang where they can drive on the narrow windy hills and keep to their lane yet someone in a small car like a Jaz or mini can't take the bends with out cutting the corners. Whoever decided the site was safe enough to have a heavy cement truck to maneuver on that is to blame IMO not the driver.

I have a completely different view of cement truck drivers.

• Like 1

oh dear Georgealbert,  this is very sad news to read.  I believe two people are at fault here,  the driver obviously is responsible for his own safety and should refuse if he think there is a risk,  and the site engineer who orders the truck and signs the dockets,  he is responsible to know if the site is safe for a truck to pour concrete.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1