Fatal Dog Attacks in Thailand Prompt Legal Reevaluation

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa6rBl380KeQNDqFKODY5fkTEyYxxPtrF7B9c2MktTrpXwgXru6NE.webp

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

Two fatal dog attacks in Thailand last week have sparked nationwide outrage, prompting renewed calls to review the country's pet ownership and public safety laws.

Under Thai law, the responsibility lies with the dog owner when their pet causes harm. According to Section 433 of the Thai Civil and Commercial Code, dog owners are required to compensate the injured party for medical expenses and other related costs. This civil liability ensures financial support for the victims of dog attacks.

In addition to civil liabilities, dog owners can face criminal charges under Section 300 of the Penal Code if negligence is proven. For example, if an owner was aware of their dog's aggressive tendencies and failed to restrain it, they could be looking at up to three years in prison and a fine of up to 6,000 baht.

Bangkok has specific regulations aimed at controlling dog-related incidents. Owners must manage their pets to prevent harm, and certain aggressive breeds must be leashed and muzzled in public, with fines of up to 5,000 baht for non-compliance.

The issue becomes more complex with stray dogs, which lack specific owners to hold accountable. This makes it difficult for victims to claim compensation. While local authorities are responsible for managing stray animals, proving negligence can be legally challenging.

Public health initiatives, including vaccination and sterilisation, aim to control the stray dog population. Reporting dog bites to local health authorities is crucial for proper medical treatment and preventing future incidents. Community efforts to care for strays, such as feeding and vaccinating them, help mitigate risks though they don't directly address liability issues.

Private settlements often occur to avoid lengthy legal battles, especially if the dog has a known owner. However, obtaining compensation for attacks by stray dogs remains a significant challenge. Legal responsibilities can also shift if the victim was trespassing on private property, potentially absolving the dog owner of liability, reported The Pattaya News.

These recent tragedies underscore the urgent need for stricter enforcement of existing laws and possibly new regulations to enhance public safety. While Thailand’s legal landscape provides a framework for addressing dog attacks, effective implementation and increased public awareness are crucial for preventing further incidents.

For those entangled in legal issues related to dog attacks, seeking expert legal advice is recommended to understand available options and ensure compliance with the law.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-01

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

While local authorities are responsible for managing stray animals, proving negligence can be legally challenging.

Actually a very simple thing to fix. Make 3-4 persons responsible for the stray population, and not all officials. Then we know who is neglecting their duties.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Stray dogs are a menace, not only can they be aggressive, they are also a road traffic hazard on the congested Thai roads in built up areas. Motorbike riders are more at risk when these dogs are allowed to mix freely amidst traffic flow. 
Serious attention is required to quell their numbers. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

and certain aggressive breeds must be leashed and muzzled in public, with fines of up to 5,000 baht for non-compliance.

Ah the owner gets a fine up 5000baht jf the dog kills someone, and the dog is free to do it again and again

Edited by watchcat
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Stray dogs are a menace, not only can they be aggressive, they are also a road traffic hazard on the congested Thai roads in built up areas. Motorbike riders are more at risk when these dogs are allowed to mix freely amidst traffic flow. 
Serious attention is required to quell their numbers. 

The strays should be tracked down and put down.   The owners who fail to contain their aggressive animals should face the full extent of the law, how can you compensate a grieving family for their loss.

The laws, like so many others, are in place for offences but not acted upon,  just look at the carnage on the roads.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is something I am getting more worried about. Not the stray dogs, there are less of them thesedays in most regions, but the increasing amount of powerful dogs I am noticing Thais buy. I love Pitbulls and Rottweilers and big shepard dogs, all kinds of dogs really, but I don't like the way many Thais handle their dogs. I can probably deal with 2-3 Thai type dogs if it comes to it. 2-3 Pitbulls or Rottweilers? Highly unlikely. And the problem is I can see it not being handled and getting out of hand like the road fatalities issue.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

No such thing as a bad dog,just bad owners.

I have had a pitbull since he was a pup and he's only bitten me 5 or 6 times.Each time it was my fault.

Sounds like a case of the dog training its owner

• Haha 1

There is a very simple solution to this problem a dog attacks a human being and causes significant injury or death, and he gets put down within 24 hours, without the possibility of any type of appeal. And the owner of the animal is responsible for paying a one million baht fine, to the injured party. 

aggressive-dog-barking-with-bared-teeth-png.png

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kinok Farang said:

I have had a pitbull since he was a pup and he's only bitten me 5 or 6 times.Each time it was my fault.

I agree with your first sentence 

• Agree 1

Laws on this issue can be made stricter but, as with all laws in Thailand, and many other countries, will not be enforced. 

6 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Drive me around in the back of a pickup with a 12 gauge. And I'll take care of the dog problem

Edited by Thingamabob
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Drive me around in the back of a pickup with a 12 gauge. And I'll take care of the dog problem.

I'll think about it. Thanks for the offer.

Edited by watchcat
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Now I understand why there are thousands of them.

Millions of them you mean, if they can't even have dogs that have killed put down what can they do? They collected strays off out estate a few years ago. When I asked what they did with them they answer was they took them a few kilometers down the road- and released them! 

2 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

This old lie again we get in every doggie thread, soi dogs have no owners to blame. People like you are part of the problem, why have you got a vicious dog, banned in some countries, who you admit bites at all? They are not suitable as pets because they are too dangerous, the stats prove it, it's the dogs NOT the owners, aggression cannot be trained out of dangerous breeds. Dog worshipers will always blame the owners or the victims, never their nasty vicious stinking mutts.

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

what laws     ... dogs free to roam around chasing kids and biting people.  Owners having savage dogs outside attacking others with a dog on a leash.  

they do nothing about it .... their thinking is illogical, uneducated and downright stupid. They really are backward ...    

Idiots compassion 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

These recent tragedies underscore the urgent need for stricter enforcement of existing laws and possibly new regulations to enhance public safety. While Thailand’s legal landscape provides a framework for addressing dog attacks, effective implementation and increased public awareness are crucial for preventing further incidents.

It's a no brainer.

1) Stray dogs, collect and destroy, pests.

2) Dog attacks, collect and destroy, if owner identified, sue for damages

3) Chip each and every dog

4) Each and every dog must be registered with local council, recording owners details.

• Like 1

All dogs need to be supervised properly and taken care of properly, irrespective of breed.

A wandering soi mutt can cause a car to swerve into an oncoming family on a motorbike, just as a "PitBull" can. 

The problem is not the breed, it is irresponsible owners letting dogs roam free. 

The nanny state types can forget about this problem disappearing though. If they want that type of thing they are better off moving back to the West than coming here and complaining about Thailand. 

To all the dog haters, here's a pic of my Pibble to brighten your day. He sends his love. :emot-kiss:

image.png.deb4d3a7991da892b6503cf13381e21d.png 

2 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

So what? You just admitted you pitbull has bitten 5 or 6 times. Proof that he bites.

Then you say it's your fault. So why do something that you know will stir the dog to bite?

And what about if you're away from the location? good chance the dog will bite anybody.

And please don't tell me it's all about training. Pitbulls are aggressive, they bite, they try to kill. Training won't totally cancel their aggressiveness and the danger they pose.