Sinking scandal: Pattaya’s new footpaths crumbling already

webfact

Pattaya-1-Substandard-materials-under-crumbling-Thepprasit-Road-sidewalk-1.webp

Pattaya’s shiny new footpaths along Thepprasit Road are becoming a crumbling mess, raising serious questions about the city’s infrastructure projects. Barely completed, the paths are already sinking and cracking, sparking outrage from residents and city officials.

During a heated City Hall meeting, Nikom Saengkaew, a concerned Council Member, blew the whistle on the poor construction.

“Why are we seeing such rapid deterioration? What kind of materials were used here?”

Nikom pointed out that sand, not cement, was found beneath the sidewalk surface – a shocking shortcut that has caused major structural issues.

Locals had already sounded the alarm, reporting widespread damage, and their concerns were quickly validated. The substandard work has not only ruined the walkways but also led to a larger investigation into the project’s management.

Nikom is now pushing for urgent repairs to be made under the project’s warranty and demanding accountability from those responsible. Deputy Mayor Manot Nongyai reassured the public, confirming that the footpaths are indeed covered under warranty, and inspections are underway.

But there’s more to this sinking saga. Manot revealed that parked motorcycles and cars on the footpaths have only worsened the damage.

“Enforcement of traffic laws remains inconsistent.”

Although efforts have been made to tackle illegal parking, the damage is already done, and repairs are now a race against time, reported Pattaya Mail.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Pattaya Mail

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Haha 2

I never understand why Thais like interlocking pavers for sidewalks (pavements). They look beautiful then a cement truck comes along fully loaded and wants to park to go in the 7/11, so drives over the kerb and ruins all the overlocking pavers. So that instead of a nice smooth pavement, you have a trap to trip over and smash your head on the pavement. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Conspiracy theorists would say they intentionally build cr ap quality roads so they get repeat business and bungs all round

I think the credentials of those doing the work needs scrutiny - those that tender for work need to be capable of doing said work but of course bungs play a big part and of course nepotism 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

I think the credentials of those doing the work needs scrutiny - those that tender for work need to be capable of doing said work but of course bungs play a big part and of course nepotism 

The worst major road I have ever driven along is the 221 to Chaiyaphum.

And the worst section runs right past the local Highway Repairs Authority......I keep meaning to take a photo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Conspiracy theorists would say they intentionally build cr ap quality roads so they get repeat business and bungs all round

That is not a theory as admitted to me by a construction company manager.

Also, building on sand is cheaper.

When they tarmacked the roads (instead of plain concrete) the roads started to collapse within six months.

Those pot 'canyons' are still there some 10 years later.

A far as I know, only one road here on Samui was built on hardcore that was packed down. All of the rest are built sans hardcore.

Just compacted earth.

Edited by Tropicalevo

2 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

The person in charge of the design and construction of Thepprasit road should be taken to court. What an utter disaster that road is from one end to the other.

Agree....it all starts with the design specs.....if they are low grade you are dead in the water.

38 minutes ago, retarius said:

I never understand why Thais like interlocking pavers for sidewalks (pavements). They look beautiful then a cement truck comes along fully loaded and wants to park to go in the 7/11, so drives over the kerb and ruins all the overlocking pavers. So that instead of a nice smooth pavement, you have a trap to trip over and smash your head on the pavement. 

Because then the weeds can grow in the cracks which gives it a more natural look.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Agree....it all starts with the design specs.....if they are low grade you are dead in the water.

Agree A simple bit of research would tell one in 5min that a minimum of 2'' is required for foot traffic, 4" for light cars, and 6" for trucks, plus of course re-bar or mesh, and a hardcore base, there is a unfinished condo block that could supply all the hardcore needed so I hear.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I never understand why Thais like interlocking pavers for sidewalks (pavements).

They make a lot of sense if you expect to be digging up the sidewalk next year for bigger pipe, then the year after to bury the power lines, then the next year to bury the fiber optic cables. 

The photo in the OP sure doesn't look like a final product.  Just a temporary fix to allow pedestrians to walk until they finish whatever that opening leads to, then they'll install the less temporary brick pavers.  Which will be dug up soon anyway for the next project.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I have seen cut armor to place in the concrete to at the side ends, just to show they using armor. So go figure, it is not the designer, they works out from standards and specs, but those who get the contracts is cheating

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have seen cut armor to place in the concrete to at the side ends, just to show they using armor. So go figure, it is not the designer, they works out from standards and specs, but those who get the contracts is cheating

And you watch every path in Thailand being laid?......well done you!

What kind of materials were used here they ask,?  its not about the materials so much as to what kind of labour force were they using, they  dont have a clue how to lay cement,  or pavers ..go have a look at Soi Padtanakan East Pattaya , the whole length of the Soi (couple of miles) had new footpath installed  a few years ago, today you cannot walk on it  because  1; its crumbling and very uneven 2; most of the footpath is covered in grass and weeds  where the foundation was'nt compacted properly, but no  one checks thier work

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Do you really believe anyone here is qualified to read and understand design specs....never mind put them into practice :whistling:

by the time everyone has taken their cut there is not enough left to do it properly as sp[ecified. The road/footpath near our other house has been undergoing repairs for 5 years after the contractor never finished what they started and cut corners, they never piped the drains and water would flood out of them during rain because the drains were only for show anf only boxed at the entry. Roads collapsed, where they cut through side steets  they never repaired them and only filled them with sand, foot paths just stopped in the middle of no where, the road leading to the bridge has dropped around 30cm/12" because they only used red dirt fill under it and now just has an angled section  to get on and off the brdge. All this is done with govt supervision and the contractor just pockets the money, its how it works in Thailand, contracts are sold off once they are won  and this continues till there is not enough money to actually do what is required, graft in Thailand is alive and doing very well.

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

And you watch every path in Thailand being laid?......well done you!

We have family members working road construction in Bangkok, and Rayong, as well the team building our farm also confirmed the same. 

Have you seen the design and specs of the roads? 

Do you believe they using the budget without any corruption to meet the standards and specs? 

Interesting to know

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

We have family members working road construction in Bangkok, and Rayong, as well the team building our farm also confirmed the same. 

Have you seen the design and specs of the roads? 

Do you believe they using the budget without any corruption to meet the standards and specs? 

Interesting to know

Corruption in Thailand?......you'll need to provide hard evidence to convince me.