Field trips don’t hurt students, poorly-maintained transport does : PM

snoop1130

pae16_141b189703.jpg

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has expressed disagreement with suspending educational field trips for students, saying that the measure does not solve the basic problem.

She said that such trips are not harmful to children and blamed poorly-maintained public transport for road accidents, adding that all transport used for educational field trips should be properly checked, especially for long journeys.

The prime minister made the comments after the Education Ministry ordered the immediate suspension of all educational field trips by schools under its supervision, except for trips which are deemed necessary, and that the trips should be confined within the schools’ province.

Meanwhile, Transport Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit announced today that all the 13,000 plus public buses which use compressed natural gas (CNG) as fuel must be subjected to thorough checks within 60 days.

Photo: Thai PBS World

Full story: Thai PBS World

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has expressed disagreement with suspending educational field trips for students, saying that the measure does not solve the basic problem.

She said that such trips are not harmful to children and blamed poorly-maintained public transport for road accidents, adding that all transport used for educational field trips should be properly checked, especially for long journeys.

Well said.  The culture of a country comes from its leadership.  I hope she is able to get this implemented and hold to account those who stop or delay this happening.

But, of course, TIT, but maybe this time some change might actually happen?

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Shouldn't that be " all transport ".

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

She's correct in saying that the measure does not solve the basic problem, but it may save a few lives. Therein lies the problem. Can you imagine a parent saying their kid learned a lot from the school's EGAT visit, and their recovery from third-degree burns is coming along nicely?

Anyway, the transport ministry has ordered the inspection of over 13,000 CNG-powered buses nationwide to be completed within 60-days. Until that has been completed, I wouldn't be letting any of my kids go on bus trips, no matter how cute Moo Deng is and regardless of what the PM thinks.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Can you imagine a parent saying their kid learned a lot from the school's EGAT visit, and their recovery from third-degree burns is coming along nicely?

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous and tasteless comment. School excursions are a legitimate part of education. This one ended in tragedy.

3 hours ago, Watawattana said:

Well said.  The culture of a country comes from its leadership.  I hope she is able to get this implemented and hold to account those who stop or delay this happening.

But, of course, TIT, but maybe this time some change might actually happen?

These weren't children from Elite families, expect nothing to change.

• Sad 1

The school busses I rode on here in the USA as a kid were right in the middle of the baby boom in the 1960s and early 1970s.  Big old yellow school busses.  No seat belts.  No padding on the back of the set in front of you.  Made us sit three in each of the seats meaning our little arses were half on the seat half off the seat if you were the last one in that seat.  I don't recall the side windows being emergency push out like newer busses have.  I am pretty sure there was no roof egress hatch either.  Not that any of us could have reached that roof hatch anyway just like the children on that Thailand bus probably were too young and short to reach either.

I would be surprised if any of the safety aspects worked on the bus , wasn't it a diesel powered bus over 50 years old and somebody changed it to gas powered .

Probably done in a back yard garage with no certification.

Apparently there were Eleven gas tanks attached to the bus.

Poor little sods didn't stand much of a chance...😢😢

• Agree 1