How do you pay?

On 10/3/2024 at 12:45 PM, phetphet said:

But it is the Government (in fact most governments) that want to create a cashless society, as (a) it gives far more control over it's citizens, and (b) it can see where all the money goes, and tax it, confiscate it, or take away your right to spend it how you please.

How true. All it takes is one greedy, tyrannical government, add in digital IDs,  a behavioral scoring system to make sure the peasants are in compliance, and then link the two to a programmable  centrally controlled digital currency and presto - each and every person  immediately becomes a lifetime slave of whoever is controlling the system at that moment in  time.  Millions of surveillance devices will ensure that few if any escape and that all goods are trackable and traceable.

But surely slavery is preferable to slower transactions and inconveniences until the day you are no longer permitted to access anything at all, and no government will ever be that evil. (//sarc off//

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

Mostly through direct payment of QR. I never shop, only online. 

My massage professional brings me her cash. I pay her from my Bank. 

She doesn't have to deposit the money which we all know is a pain now thanks to stupid banking regulations and I can use the cash for Grab and other deliveries.

All the banks ar rubish.

I hope cash will continue to exist for long time.

My last car i bought, I also paid with cash.

I can still remember the lady had some trouble counting the 1000 notes, it surprised me that they didn't have a money counting machine.

12 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

All the banks ar rubish.

I hope cash will continue to exist for long time.

My last car i bought, I also paid with cash.

I can still remember the lady had some trouble counting the 1000 notes, it surprised me that they didn't have a money counting machine.

"ar rubish"................................ at what?

On 10/3/2024 at 8:41 AM, RSD1 said:

I pay for everything by debit card by just tapping my phone. Supermarkets, 7-11, etc. Online purchases I also use debit card. It literally takes one second.

People using cash slow things down. Having to count bills and fumble through coins. I wish everyone would use the same tap-and-go contactless payment method. Fastest and most secure way to go. 

Only thing I still pay for in cash is short-time. 

Only thing I still pay for in cash is short-time.

You made my day 🤣

“Well, if America is anything to go by, going cashless is probably closer than we think. Biden’s already got the ball rolling with some fancy executive order (Executive Order 14067) to figure out how to bring in digital dollars. They’re not rushing into it, though. The U.S. is still in the ‘let’s study it to death’ phase. But if you look around the world, many countries are already ahead.

India pretty much figured it out with its UPI system—people pay for everything with their phones. China is already testing a digital currency, like a new trendy app. Even in Thailand, people use apps like PromptPay. Cash is already taking a back seat, and it might not be long before we’re all swiping phones instead of bills.

Of course, there’s always a bit of skepticism. Going entirely cashless sounds nice and futuristic—until you realize how much of your life could be tracked. But whether we like it or not, digital payments are creeping in, and the day you can’t even buy street food without your phone might not be as far off as we think.”

As somebody who is officially a tourist, spending 2-3 months in Thailand at a time, I use cash almost exclusively.

I cannot get a Thai card, and hotels etc will charge a premium if i use my UK card.

On a month-long stay that adds up, plus the exchange rate is usually pretty poor compared with "cash on the street"

If the Thai  government and TAT are serious about encouraging tourism, this should be considered, IMO.