Corruption scandal hits the brakes: Thailand’s bus industry whistleblows dirty dealings

snoop1130

40 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

What is the reason why the bus inspections can only be carried out from January to June. That's incomprehensible to me.

I would blame the auto-translate function.

Inspections are carried out year-round, with semi-annual inspections required, or every six months.  The strange sentence must be some sort of example of how long an inspection sticker would remain valid.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Some stated that the inspection was carried out thoroughly as part of vehicle registration renewal and tax payment, which is required every six months. The inspection period usually runs from January to June each year.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

aproved number is only part of the problem - where they were installed is what caused this tragedy - they were installed inside the passenger area

Is that true? Where did you read that? 

Why is this a scandal if this is de facto business in Thailand?

My expat Thai wife and I have talked about this and part of the reason neither of us want to live in Thailand. America can suck, but it aint bad at all.

• Like 1

We spent an entire week in the lands department to get a title cleared EVEN with a connection and plenty of tea money. My arse was sore from sitting there all week. It was land the the king had ceded to the military and then the military sold it. Checking out the the old (maybe around 200 years?) land plot books was pretty cool though. My wife had three of her sisters, a connection and our tea money, would hate to think what it would have been like without it/them.

As with this horrible bus tragedy, so many governmental functions run on tea money. But, when it gets into the realm of safety, the safety of children, hopefully this tragedy will get someone to act. And the fact that the bus driver took away all the window breakers because children played with them just galls me, tie a string on it!!

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A shocking revelation has swept through the coach bus industry of Thailand as several anonymous companies have blown the whistle on rampant corruption within the Land Transport Department‘s vehicle inspection process. A sneaky bribe of 3,000 to 4,000 baht is all it takes to fast-track an inspection, making life suspiciously easy for some.

Is anyone surprised.... corruption is at the root of everything in Thailand.

• Agree 1

Corruption can be a rather heinous thing on a lot of levels, but when it's allowed to seep into areas of traffic safety, public safety and transport, that is where it drops to a depth that is unfathomable. The top officials in the land transport department should be held accountable for this, and losing their job would not be enough.

I would suggest to 5 to 10 year prison term for a negligent homicide would be appropriate, it would certainly send a message, and not this kind of message:

Paying 3,000 to 4,000 baht would hasten the process slightly while paying more would be considered as VIP treatment.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

What is the reason why the bus inspections can only be carried out from January to June. That's incomprehensible to me.

You expect inspectors to work a whole year?

Why is the inspection period confined to six months?

Because if they had the personnel to work every day there would be no chance to charge a premium for express service 

As it is they make enough money to take six months off and gamble or watch the soaps

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Yagoda said:

I called it. Every country needs its Triangle Shirtwaist Fire, could this be it for Thailand?

I'm familiar with the history of that tragedy in NYC a century ago. And no...it will not make any difference inThailand. The culture of corruption and coverups is engrained in the Thais much like the same culture in China where these practices originated. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Corruption everywhere you look. Even with safety-relevant systems, officials sometimes turn a blind eye for extra money.

In a way it is a sign of a failed state. If the government (which itself is no stranger to corruption) can't rely on its regulations being adhered to or the honesty of its civil servants, police, armed services etc then it itself has no purpose, no legitimacy and the people have no leadership that they can respect and rely on.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Gobbler said:

Is that true? Where did you read that? 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Furthermore, some of the gas tanks were installed inside the bus, increasing the risk to both the driver and passengers in the event of a gas leak.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Shocking! Who would have thought there could be corruption anywhere in Thailand?

In this case it should be easy to follow the paper trail. Who signed the inspections? Arrest those people and put them on murder charges. And then be give them the chance to expose others who are also involved in those scams.

Arrest them and put them in jail. And make sure everybody knows what will happen if they do the same again.

i am most certain it would be easy enough to track down the inspector who approved that bus to prosecute him for dereliction causing deaths. But I also believe that will not be done and equally sure these bribes were shared in the office by all.  Sort of like the police stopping you at a check-point and collecting money without receipts. Then after they put it all together and make it an even split among all. If they go after one, then their offices would need to close to get all new workers. The government and police would never allow that to happen. 

This story will disappear just like all the rest and the corruption will remain just as it did with so many other instances.