Corruption scandal hits the brakes: Thailand’s bus industry whistleblows dirty dealings

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

i am most certain it would be easy enough to track down the inspector who approved that bus to prosecute him for dereliction causing deaths. But I also believe that will not be done and equally sure these bribes were shared in the office by all.  Sort of like the police stopping you at a check-point and collecting money without receipts. Then after they put it all together and make it an even split among all. If they go after one, then their offices would need to close to get all new workers. The government and police would never allow that to happen. 

This story will disappear just like all the rest and the corruption will remain just as it did with so many other instances. 

You are probably right. 

Nobody is surprised that corruption exists everywhere. It's not difficult to see it and it would not be difficult to start to fight it - if the authorities would want that.

But who really cares about a couple of dead children if they can keep their corruption going. Sad, very sad.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, sumongkhwai said:

We spent an entire week in the lands department to get a title cleared EVEN with a connection and plenty of tea money. My arse was sore from sitting there all week. It was land the the king had ceded to the military and then the military sold it. Checking out the the old (maybe around 200 years?) land plot books was pretty cool though. My wife had three of her sisters, a connection and our tea money, would hate to think what it would have been like without it/them.

As with this horrible bus tragedy, so many governmental functions run on tea money. But, when it gets into the realm of safety, the safety of children, hopefully this tragedy will get someone to act. And the fact that the bus driver took away all the window breakers because children played with them just galls me, tie a string on it!!

Corruption will continue if people like you feed them to avoid an even worse sore arse.

First everyone knows there is corruption everywhere in the Thai government and their system.

From this story change the system to inspection and how payment is made twice a year! I guess collected money is more important than anything.

Im not into growing government but Thailand system on the surface 

" honor system doesnt work "

Having laws and regulations with zero enforcement doesnt work never has.

Unannoumced inspections doubt and heavy penalties is your greatest weapon. You go in flash your badge run through the operation from top to buttom woth an oversight system in place to check the inspector and their bosses.

From the photo, clear this bus was modified in height several years big news like now something was going to be done. Even with the 6 month so call inspection how the hell can a modified bus be clear if an actual honest inspection onsight is being done.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, itsari said:

Corruption will continue if people like you feed them to avoid an even worse sore arse.

While corruption is corruption, at least his business doesn't involve fatal consequences.

1 minute ago, Hawaiian said:

While corruption is corruption, at least his business doesn't involve fatal consequences.

I am afraid it does involve possible fatal consequences , 

Paying off government officials adds to the fire forgive the pun.

• Sad 1

If allegations are true, the entire National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) should immediately be fired and replacements selected by Parliament. 

Remember a few years ago ( post 2014) significant corruption in the Department of Education principals that was only identified by whistle-blowers? Not by any government agency.

Thailand - hub of corruption.

Thai Prime Minister moved to tears over the 23 deaths.

Well Prime Minister, what are you going to do to solve this problem?  Or has daddy said, mai pen rai?

The ball is your court Prime Minister.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, thaigirlwatcher1 said:

I'm familiar with the history of that tragedy in NYC a century ago. And no...it will not make any difference inThailand. The culture of corruption and coverups is engrained in the Thais much like the same culture in China where these practices originated. 

Well they still have that culture in NY, read the papers. Its just a bit better

14 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Corruption everywhere you look. Even with safety-relevant systems, officials sometimes turn a blind eye for extra money.

You're right, it is everywhere. The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency has been violating the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights of the elderly, retired, and disabled taxi-medallion holders with impunity and not one official in that city has tried to stop it.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

These companies confirmed that bus operators couldn’t pay bribes to authorities to expedite the registration renewal process. However, according to media reports, some bus companies admitted to paying officials 3,000 to 4,000 baht or more for a quicker inspection.

First, it´s definitely dirty corrupted inspectors and government agencies that are at  most fault here. One thing I wonder about, though. Are the companies trying to shift the blame from them? They are the ones who made the illegal modifications and put people in risk at first place. They are also the ones who are bribing the officials and inspectors, which is also a criminal offense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

If allegations are true, the entire National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) should immediately be fired and replacements selected by Parliament. 

Sounds like a profitable gig!

What's it cost to buy a slot?

• Like 1

Corruption is nearly everywhere you look and if some refuse to fix the problem just don't use any buses involved in such behavior,when they go broke maybe just maybe someone upstairs will understand what must be done.

14 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

there is NO safety in Thailand just the almighty Baht

Since I have been living here or working here since 1972, the same story has existed - the mighty baht overrules any laws.  I do not know if this is actually true, but this is what it seems like to me.  Or, in some cases even if no baht is exchanged, one can "hide" somehow until the statue of limitations on that particular crime passes - even the killing of a policeman.  It may not be true but sure seems to be a lot of smoke so flames usually are around too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

My first thoughts after this tragedy was of poor maintenance and its allowance by officials to let it happen due to bribes. Thais do not see the bigger picture when you facilitate vehicle examinations for under the table payments.

The sad fact is that Thais like low priced transport.  I can't blame them, simply on economic grounds.  If the authorities did honest inspections, the bus companies would have to spend more to comply, and the price of a bus ticket would go up.

Heinous as the corruption is, it's baked into the economy and all aspects of life.

What does anybody expect , If there is money involved there will be corruption, and the more money there is involved the more corruption there will be.   

Top of the tree will be the large infrastructure projects   Airports, High speed Trains, Highways, etc but the amount of money involved in bus transport will not be insignificant,  probably right up there with Temples 

Went to angeles/clark  got a grab taxi driver said to get everything past cost alot but it was done in one day.His car license and anything else,same day he was driving his wife was happy  and he said that is what she wanted otherwise maybe 3 mths to sort.Happens everywhere

People in Thailand need to realize that every level, whether it be civil, whether it be the police department the legal system everything in Thailand is corrupt. They came find the Red Bull kid. They’ll find them after his period of time is up. He’ll come back and get happy driving around a new Ferrari corruption top the bottom this is Thailand Way in Thailand TT 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A shocking revelation has swept through the coach bus industry of Thailand as several anonymous companies have blown the whistle on rampant corruption within the Land Transport Department‘s vehicle inspection process.

Who is shocked by this?  Did anyone here think it was any different than this?

• Like 1