Thai Airways soars with ‘plane’-tastic gourmet menus for all classes

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, proton said:

Worst food I have ever had on any airline, apart from Qatar who could not manage a special meal in Q business class. I would not eat caviar. Emirates serves up some decent nosh.

Hmm... nothing good to say at all eh....

Thai Airways food in Eco and Business class is 'meh'... or as per expectations. 

As far as Business on Qatar Airlines - food is excellent (I was at 35,000 ft eating in QR - Q-Class as recently as last week)

IMO - there is very little difference between EK and QR from a food or service perspective. 

Q-Suites are outstanding...

As car as Caviar on a flight - thats a little opulent. I was served that in First (free upgrade) a year or so ago on Qatar Airways...   the 'air-lounge' or bar or whatever you want to call it is a nice novelty and EK is better, but I don't even bother sitting in the bar part anymore anyway, its always full of drunks trying to start a conversation !!!...

I don't have high expectations of Airlines (even in business class) - as long as the food is decent, tastes nice etc...   then I'm happy - I don't expect the food to be Michelin star levels no matter how the airlines wax lyrical about the culinary wonders...  

Perhaps thats the difference between our replies, my expectations of airline food are not as high as yours. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK... so you think I'm a know it all...    it may be 'tier related' but I have not once paid for seat allocation on QR....   

... the only time I had to, was Eco before I'd built up tier membership...  but business class (even with no tier membership) never... 

So...  know it all and knobheadery aside...   could this 'paying for business class seat allocation' be route or region specific ??

i.e. Its not something I've ever had to pay for while flying a Bangkok - Doha route.

Are you guys flying flying other routes where you are charged ? maybe there is a pattern there ?

*(i.e. onward to BKK / HKT to Australian destinations ?? at a guess)

I suppose I could dig the charge up if you are really that interested, it was a new class of the ticket that did not allow entry to the business lounges, but they let me in anyway at Heathrow.

From the news article, it appears that Thai Airways launched their "premium menus" very recently.

Rather than dwelling on the past, when also in my experience their inflight food was nothing to write home about, let's hear about personal experiences from the start of this month. Myself, I shan't have an opportunity to sample it until the end of November, when I shall fly from Malpensa (MXP) in Italy to Bangkok, non-stop flight.

This topic is clearly about an initiative by Thai Airways to improve inflight food service and thus I felt constrained to remove all posts that were in no way related to this topic and the replies to them.

Anyone who wishes to start a discussion about the food service of any other airline should feel free to start a separate topic.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, proton said:

Worst food I have ever had on any airline, apart from Qatar who could not manage a special meal in Q business class. I would not eat caviar. Emirates serves up some decent nosh.

We have all our own experiences with different  airliners.

Just booked business class to Sydney. Didn't bother looking at Thai because of old fit-outs, disinterested staff and price. Booked with Singapore Airlines. OK, it takes longer, but the experience and great price offsets the longer flight time.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is good that they are trying to improve. I like caviar but I am not sure about it with Amarone red wine. We all have different experiences but I have not too much good to say about Italian wines (with the exception of Brunello, and local Lambrusco...the Italians tend to keep the best wines in country). But again in my experience red wines and oily fish tastes don't mix well. 

Needs it! The last few long haul flights I've had with them have been especially off. On the one flight, most people around me seemed to have just a nibble and then pushed it away. First meal: chicken or garlic prawn; next meal 6-8hrs later: prawn or chicken pasta. Out of literally hundreds of flights, it was right up there with the worst I can recall. Very surprising.

THAI should just stick with what they do best and serve up Thai fare -- it is a Thai carrier after all -- and avoid doing other cuisines beyond basic breakfasts, which rarely works out well at the lower end. Perhaps stuff like khao man gai and straightforward pork dishes etc, and a basic fried rice to fall back on. Anyway, looks like they heeded my scathing feedback. 😛

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hmm... nothing good to say at all eh....

Thai Airways food in Eco and Business class is 'meh'... or as per expectations. 

As far as Business on Qatar Airlines - food is excellent (I was at 35,000 ft eating in QR - Q-Class as recently as last week)

IMO - there is very little difference between EK and QR from a food or service perspective. 

Q-Suites are outstanding...

As car as Caviar on a flight - thats a little opulent. I was served that in First (free upgrade) a year or so ago on Qatar Airways...   the 'air-lounge' or bar or whatever you want to call it is a nice novelty and EK is better, but I don't even bother sitting in the bar part anymore anyway, its always full of drunks trying to start a conversation !!!...

I don't have high expectations of Airlines (even in business class) - as long as the food is decent, tastes nice etc...   then I'm happy - I don't expect the food to be Michelin star levels no matter how the airlines wax lyrical about the culinary wonders...  

Perhaps thats the difference between our replies, my expectations of airline food are not as high as yours. 

Worst flight company for food is KLM by a long way. I have travelled regularly with just about every flight company over the last 20 years. That is my experience.

40 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Worst flight company for food is KLM by a long way. I have travelled regularly with just about every flight company over the last 20 years. That is my experience.

Well, I could reply... But its been made clear that the natural flow of the thread is being stifled and we are only permitted to discuss 'food on Thai Airways', regardless of the relevance of comparison to food on other carriers..... 

... So, I'm out - its impossible to have decent discussion.

One point I'll add - the food in the Thai Airways Business Lounges is also rather awful - sausage rolls, chicken puffs, cheese sandwich...   and the quality of Whisky they serve is also very low-brow, stuff I've never heard of...

In fact - the in flight Whisky is also terrible Jonny Walker black is the best they do.

In Eco, the whisky is brans I've never heard of...

....   but, I'm not sure if thats going to get deleted, cos we are only allowed to discuss 'food on Thai Airways' no the Whisky or food in the lounges... 

40 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Anyone got more info on the Eco-friendly tote bag being given to the scum down the back in cattle class ?

I'm guessing its something like this... 

But realistically - I think nothing will come of that announcement to 'give' Eco passengers any bags etc...  (lets see though).

Screenshot 2024-10-09 at 13.12.26.png

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, I could reply... But its been made clear that the natural flow of the thread is being stifled and we are only permitted to discuss 'food on Thai Airways', regardless of the relevance of comparison to food on other carriers..... 

One point I'll add - the food in the Thai Airways Business Lounges is also rather awful - sausage rolls, chicken puffs, cheese sandwich...   and the quality of Whisky they serve is also very low-brow, stuff I've never heard of...

In fact - the in flight Whisky is also terrible Jonny Walker black is the best they do.

....   but, I'm not sure if thats going to get deleted, cos we are only allowed to discuss 'food on Thai Airways' no the Whisky or food in the lounges... 

Yes, agreed. The sausage rolls and chicken puffs in the Thai lounge are the same as you can get in 7-11.

It's a shame on this thread that I'm not allowed to say that the food in The Qatar lounge last week was outstanding, the lamb cutlets were to die for.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, proton said:

Its normal to request special meals in advance on airlines, at least that's my experience. You can do it under 'manage my booking.'

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Being teetotal I cannot comment on the whisky, but yes, you are right about the food but just finished a flight to and back from the UK and was following a post about food on the plane and had to get my oar in. It is so easy to drift a bit off topic, I think we all do that at times, but thanks for your output.

57 minutes ago, sungod said:

Its normal to request special meals in advance on airlines, at least that's my experience. You can do it under 'manage my booking.'

I did six months before, and confirmed it at check in

2 hours ago, sungod said:

It would be too late at check in, plane is loaded.

You seem to have trouble reading, I ordered a special meal months before when I booked the ticket, then had it confirmed when I checked in, but did not get it onboard Q class.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I last flew Thai from BKK to LHR in biz class in april this year. The onboard food and beverage service was excellent and dramatically better than any time since pandemic. Totally delicous and couldn't fault it in all aspects.  

At BKK, I always walk right past the Thai Airways lounge and head straight to Singapore Airlines Krisflyer lounge. IMO - a much nicer lounge, better food, beverages and lovely and engaging staff. I think that anyone with a Thai Airways biz class ticket can use any Star Alliance lounge (I'm *G so please correct me if I'm wrong about lounge access).