Real estate agent (and previous owner) omit to tell one little detail, liable for damages ?

A few months ago, I needed to move to a new place, after divorce.

I found a place with different buildings in a row, deep in a soi.

I hate noise, street noise, neighbors, etc...

So I found a place that was in good condition, far from the street, could not hear the hum of traffic, on a high and a corner unit.

I thought I found something like and instead of paying rent somewhere else, I bought it.

6 weeks I enjoyed peace and quietness, till one day, planes start flying over MY building.

I am near the airport, but the usual route was over the busy road and it did not bother me.

Apparently my new bought condo is in the flight path of ... the 3rd Suvi runway and they started 'test' flights since last week.

The agent that sold this place did not mention anything about it. Neither did the owner but both knew about this, because via the group line of the building, there were talks about compensation for the noise, which the old owner apparently registered and is now about to get the compensation, even they are not the owner anymore.

The juristic office was inviting people to go get their check or get their papers checked first... Blue book (lol), house registration...

I did not go try yet to exchange my blue book, with old owners name,  for a yellow one, as I red that many ampurs just make it very difficult to impossible by demand things like a birth certificate... not about to travel to the old country just for that...the embassy told me before that they cannot provide such 'service' even they have access to the register, I presume.

Apparently the whole 'deadline' to register is also latest next Tuesday, while everything is closed for remembrance of the old king day...

I hear many people already preparing the :   never buy, always rent claim... yes...  If renting, I would have cut my losses...

What would be my chances to take a lawyer and sue the old owner and the agent for omitting to tell they knew about the flight path or the 3rd runway, specially they are about to get the compensation for my noise pollution, loss of value of the condo, as who in their right mind would not buy a condo with the constant noise ?

Edited by john donson
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

TV fools most people into thinking court cases are the way to go for justice.

It is not.  It starts with huge fees to the lawyer, possibly ends in a court paper victory for you, and then begins the task of trying to collect the payment, which rarely succeeds.

So you are often out the original money, plus legal fees, and associated costs of attending all the hearings etc., putting you far deeper in the hole.

I advise immediately selling the place, even at a loss, if you don't want to look at double glazing and other measures to lower outside noise.

5 hours ago, john donson said:

What would be my chances to take a lawyer and sue the old owner and the agent for omitting to tell they knew about the flight path or the 3rd runway, specially they are about to get the compensation for my noise pollution, loss of value of the condo, as who in their right mind would not buy a condo with the constant noise ?

Your chances would be approximately 1% against the old owners 99% chance. It was your work to check development of the surroundings, and be aware before you bought the place. Has nothing to do with the place you bought and the old owner.

As for the last part of the question. Apparently you bought it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, john donson said:

I did not go try yet to exchange my blue book, with old owners name,  for a yellow one, as I red that many ampurs just make it very difficult to impossible by demand things like a birth certificate... not about to travel to the old country just for that...the embassy told me before that they cannot provide such 'service' even they have access to the register, I presume.

Apparently the whole 'deadline' to register is also latest next Tuesday, while everything is closed for remembrance of the old king day...

I hear many people already preparing the :   never buy, always rent claim... yes...  If renting, I would have cut my losses...

You cannot "exchange" the blue house book, it follows the property. However, only Thai citizens – and foreigner's granted permanent residency – can be registered in a blue house book. Aliens can apply for registration in a "yellow house book for aliens", which is just a proof of registered address. The procedure for being registered in a yellow house book can be anything from easy to difficult in various places.

It's the buyer's responsibility to do due diligence before closing a deal, like checking area for planned issues that might effect the property, often buyer's lawyer can do it for the buyer. I don't think you can gain anything from suing agent or previous owner, apart from a huge bill from the lawyer.

• Like 1