Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Social Media

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

First step towards cutting off social security for expats.

I wouldn't object to that. It would also pave the way to make it so you cant vote if you 'don't  live in the USA. As you no longer face taxation without representation. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mdr224 said:

Kamala will announce this as her policy too next week

Harris has been very clear on this. In fact she couldn't have been more clear.

When asked she replied "well let me start by saying that when I was child, living in my little middle class neighbourhood, my parents also paid tax". 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Indian, black or caucasian?

Mixed race I guess would be the designation. That bother you also? Hopefully Kamala's Presidency will lead America to a kinder and gentler place even before the racist boomers die off. 

• Like 2

It is what we call an "empty promise", since the US and Thailand have a DTA.

For ten years, I never paid a dime in US taxes on income earned in Thailand.

I am sure there are some who would benefit, but the number would be small.

• Like 1

Very noble of him!  Being as a lot of countries, like Thailand, are going to be claiming taxes from all foreigners who reside in those countries for more that 180 days, Trump is giving Americans Abroad SWA.  It just saves Americans Abroad from the hassle of claiming a tax refund. 

Trump comes out with many promises, which are just Bullsh1t wrapped in hypocrisy.

9 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I wouldn't object to that. It would also pave the way to make it so you cant vote if you 'don't  live in the USA. As you no longer face taxation without representation. 

I was waiting for this attitude from someone on the right wing. Let’s cut off earned SS if you were economically forced to be an economic refugee who can not afford an earned working middle class retirement in the USA.  Afterall, those who have been “outsourced” are no longer Americans.  And we already deny them earned Medicare outside the USA (unless you are fully retired US military … then, you get global healthcare coverage through Tricare … both military and civilian retirees continue to have to pay monthly premiums for Medicare, Part B). They abandoned the USA (where they earned their retirement in the USA as a citizen. Would you care to expand to declare, if you are too poor to owe taxes, you should not have the right to vote?

Edited by wwest5829

6 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Very noble of him!  Being as a lot of countries, like Thailand, are going to be claiming taxes from all foreigners who reside in those countries for more that 180 days, Trump is giving Americans Abroad SWA.  It just saves Americans Abroad from the hassle of claiming a tax refund. 

Trump comes out with many promises, which are just Bullsh1t wrapped in hypocrisy.

Not to mention again inflating the debt by refusing to tax to cover costs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, timendres said:

It is what we call an "empty promise", since the US and Thailand have a DTA.

For ten years, I never paid a dime in US taxes on income earned in Thailand.

I am sure there are some who would benefit, but the number would be small.

I’m thinking it would be a boon for wealthy Americans not being subject to  US taxation. Just maintain aone of your foreign address  as a tax residency (preferably a country which does not tax your income).