Pink I.D Card & Yellow Book

Hello all,

I would like to get a pink ID card and a yellow book.

What do I need to do and what do I need to get in advance?

I have looked on Google and YouTube but it seems confusing and each report seems to just add to my confusion. Each video on YouTube gives a different way that the person got said items.

Does the process differ depending on where you are in Thailand?

is there meant to be a process that every office should follow?

I could do this in Bangkok or Prachin Buri.

It's quite simple, or was for me at Udon Thani (muang), and Prachuap Khiri Khan (muang).  Need who ever holds the 'Blue Book' of house, to simply authorize you issued a yellow book.

Then in same office, for me, walk over and have Pink  ID issued.  

Only think I needed was my Passport.

edit:  I didn't need to be married, and was not in Udon Thani for 2 yellow books.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

My amphur office in BKK wanted a letter from embassy confirming passport (then translated into Thai by MFA) as well as a Thai witness ( not family). Headache getting emb appointment, had to wait 4 or 5 weeks for app date

They even wanted my (deceased) parents full names, for some reason!

If you bring everything, incl the kitchen sink, you should be ok

Edited by Cuchulainn
Spelling

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Be married and have a house.

That would certainly help.

As KhunLA said, every amphur is different. Some dead easy, some a nightmare

Edited by Cuchulainn
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why do you want it? what have you heard about it? great benefits?

To be honest  if the amphur is easy- going....get it.

If they want  blood, forget it!

• Agree 1

Just realize that the moment you have a pink card, you also have a Thai tax ID # (the 13 digit # on top of the card).

These days it's really an idiot move to get this otherwise useless card.

I made the same mistake.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why do you want it? what have you heard about it? great benefits?

The best reason is if you are working here (for over a year, while paying Thai-SS), and want to keep your Thai-SS health-insurance going after your job ends - saving a huge pile of money vs private-insurance.  Without your Pink-ID + Yellow-Book, you will not be able to do this.  Due to the sometimes-long delay-time between application to receipt, this should be done well before one's job ends.

A yellow-book also precludes needing to get CORs, in many/most cases - though probably not worth it for this reason alone, unless your Amphoe isn't a PITA about it (like mine was).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As said, the Pink ID includes the TIN, which I need to  recover or avoid withholding interest on my Thai bank accounts. Sooner or later my foreign banks will request a Thai TIN anyway. Further, AFAIK, I will not have to carry my passport with me, which I currently do when travelling within Thailand. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Just realize that the moment you have a pink card, you also have a Thai tax ID # (the 13 digit # on top of the card).

Incorrect. I volutarily got a TIN before I got the Pink card. Different numbers.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Cuchulainn said:

To be honest  if the amphur is easy- going....get it.

If they want  blood, forget it!

Best advice.

You have to check with the amphoe (district office).

For me (married) it was quite easy.

(among others: your name already translated to Thai script)

No embassy/consulate involved.

Just a local translation office for the passport and(?) birth certificate.

(be sure the translator has the marriage documents so your name in Thai does not differ, there is no hard coded rules for that, quite "flexible")

Fortunately they didn't want proof for the parents names etc.

For the pink card be prepared for questions like religion, blood group,...

An anecdote: at our upcountry office pink card could only be issued after 3 PM when all other clients were ready. They had to call some central office to switch their terminals?

Whether it's useful also seems to depend on the local authorities.

While here it is full sufficient for driving license stuff, address for immigration.

Even my new car was registered on my "Thai name".

Other offices seem stubborn and ignore it from what I read (Pattaya/Jomtien e.g.).

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes life's too short to waste my time for Pattaya City Hall

Piece o' cake. I enjoyed my visits to Pattaya City Hall, joked around with the nice ladies, got to meet the Mayor and his capos. It was all interesting. Now I enjoy paying no property tax on my condo, too. Etc.

image.png.2850f20ef96c2f8b34bf6464df47a4cc.png 

• Thumbs Up 1

One note to add to the SS continuance.

If you want to pay by direct-debit the account must be in your Thai name (at least according to our local SS office).

This was rather less easy than expected, both BKK Bank and SCB said "cannot" (translate as "too hard, go away"), but I finally got an account sorted at Krungthai who actually seemed to know what was needed.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Piece o' cake. I enjoyed my visits to Pattaya City Hall, joked around with the nice ladies, got to meet the Mayor and his capos. It was all interesting. Now I enjoy paying no property tax on my condo, too. Etc.

image.png.2850f20ef96c2f8b34bf6464df47a4cc.png 

I couldn't drag a couple of Thais up there, just wouldn't waste their time, rather pay the very low property tax

• Confused 4

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

One note to add to the SS continuance.

If you want to pay by direct-debit the account must be in your Thai name (at least according to our local SS office).

This was rather less easy than expected, both BKK Bank and SCB said "cannot" (translate as "too hard, go away"), but I finally got an account sorted at Krungthai who actually seemed to know what was needed.

I ran into this problem also - now pay at 7/11, as no bank (including the KTB branch I tried) would open an account in Thai-script for me. 

Some report one can get a non-Thai-script account added at the Rayong Thai-SS office, which is purportedly more friendly to farangs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I couldn't drag a couple of Thais up there, just wouldn't waste their time

Oh, I could. They didn't really mind, I get along well with most Thais. Gave them gifts of appreciation at the end of the process, as they knew I would, and we parted with wais and smiles all around.

Besides avoiding property tax, the other conveniences of a pink card have been argued extensively in other threads. No point in regurgitating all here again. No one is suggesting pink cards are necessary--yet.