Foreign 'Mafia' Harass Tourists in Pattaya, Taunt Local Police

webfact

image.jpeg

In Pattaya, tensions are rising as foreign mafia members have been harassing restaurant customers and showing blatant disregard for the law.

The latest incident occurred in Soi Pattaya Tai 17, where a foreign man, believed to be of Burmese origin, regularly enters a restaurant demanding money from tourists.

When confronted by the restaurant owner, Ms. Saipirun (surname withheld), the man arrogantly replied that he was asking the customers, not her, showing no respect for the local business.

Ms. Saipirun explained that this individual has been coming to her restaurant daily, causing discomfort among the patrons. “When I asked him to leave, he just shrugged it off,” she said. “He claimed that he wasn’t afraid of anyone, including the police.” On one occasion, she threatened to call the police, but the man confidently retorted that he wasn’t afraid of the authorities and encouraged her to call them.

Local residents have also expressed their frustration regarding the ongoing harassment. A concerned Facebook user recently posted about the situation, asking if any agencies could take serious action against foreign beggars who not only request money but also display inappropriate behaviour.

Many have reported similar experiences, noting that these individuals often approach tourists with aggressive tactics, shouting and demanding money in a manner that leaves visitors feeling unsafe.

This isn’t an isolated incident. There have been reports of foreign beggars acting like mafia in the area, intimidating both locals and tourists. They often appear intoxicated, shouting for money or food, and have been known to grab doors in an attempt to force entry.

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Daily News

Residents recount instances where these individuals aggressively approached diners, particularly at night, causing alarm for both locals and foreign visitors.

Despite the frequent harassment, law enforcement has been unable to effectively address the issue. Some locals feel that the police are not taking the situation seriously enough, leaving them feeling vulnerable and unprotected. The ongoing presence of these individuals has led to a decline in the sense of security in what is traditionally a vibrant tourist hub.

Local residents and business owners are urging the authorities to take immediate action to resolve the problem and restore safety in Pattaya, a popular global tourist destination.

They are calling for increased police presence in the area and a crackdown on these foreign mafia groups to ensure that Pattaya remains a safe and welcoming environment for tourists and residents alike, reported Daily News.

TOP Picture courtesy: Daily News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-19

news-footer-3.png

image.png

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So more of a beggar than mafia, good we cleared that up

Yer your right---and they have always been a "Feature" of Pattaya ---if you sit in an outside restaurant, someone will try to sell

you a watch or just ask for money--they don't usually step inside. 

Hardly a well organized mafia plot.......:omfg:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, steven100 said:

law enforcement ,   drink drivers,  speeding,  kid bike gangs,  kids with guns,  irresponsible dog owners,  lottery ticket sellers,  rogue bouncers,  in house extorsion,  bribery, corruption .....     

oh I could go on and on   ...........    

They can't address anything ....

Yes, I sympathise with your coming from such a dreadful country, but other countries, including Thailand, have some of the same problems as your home.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

In what world do you live where a baseball bat resolves this issue ?  How is violence the answer at anytime except self defense.?

He was begging for it, give it to him.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JMonroe said:

Try learning the true meaning of mafia. This phenomenon has nothing to do with it.

That's why "Mafia" is in inverted commas in the headline - they can't think of a more suitable word!

Aside from all the harping on the word "mafia", I have noticed a phenomenon where some obnoxious guys will descend on an area and largely annoy the locals

-Watch sellers

-Beggars that stand at your table to demand money

-Fruit trucks with loud speakers

-TukTuks and Taxis who park all over the area and have no taxi meter calling out to you

-Temple beggars with huge drum and cymbol sets banging their way up the street

I dunno, all these people exist to separate people who are otherwise having a nice meal outside from their money by acting in the most obnoxious way possible.

Edited by SbuxPlease
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

harassing restaurant customers and showing blatant disregard for the law.

How dare they, those filthy foreigners? Only Thai mafia and RTP are allowed to do that…

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, JMonroe said:

Try learning the true meaning of mafia. This phenomenon has nothing to do with it.

Many Thais look apon panhandling that is brought to the authorities to no avail as most likely a mafia activity... I can recall a TV Bangkok expose 10-15 years ago of horribly disabled and blind individuals being carted around popular venues and left on the sidewalk in the hot sun to accept donations in a bowl... Only the be collected at the end of the day and have all the money taken from them... I recall walking past them at Central World and my Thai partner admonishing me for dropping money in his bowl...

Begging to annoy the restaurant owner to give him something i suppose.In siem reap restaurants give them food to stop them annoying customers inside.Does not work they still beg outside and ask for money.You offer them food they will say no  and want some dollars which someone watching will collect straight after.Others will do it outside 7/11 and ask farangs and 7/11 shop owners have liitle power to stop them too seen it many times in cnx

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This isn’t an isolated incident. There have been reports of foreign beggars acting like mafia in the area, intimidating both locals and tourists. They often appear intoxicated, shouting for money or food, and have been known to grab doors in an attempt to force entry.

Time for s few plain clothes officers [with hair] to locate themselves around the street.

• Like 1